Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 PM

412 posts, read 915,809 times

Advertisements

Even a place as far away as Centennial Hills could be done depending on what specific area you would live.
There are some apartments across the street from Smith's that might be income restricted with low rent and also walking distance to the Centennial Hills transit center. There is an express bus from Centennial Hills transit center that drops you off on the strip near Treasure Island/Wynn area in as low as 40 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.

There is Smiths supermarket, Centennial Hills hospital and Kohls, plus plenty of other places to eat and shop all in walking distance and you have pretty easy bus access directly to the strip and Fashion Show Mall. It's a pretty quick ride for a bus going that distance because there are limited stops on the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
Even a place as far away as Centennial Hills could be done depending on what specific area you would live.
There are some apartments across the street from Smith's that might be income restricted with low rent and also walking distance to the Centennial Hills transit center. There is an express bus from Centennial Hills transit center that drops you off on the strip near Treasure Island/Wynn area in as low as 40 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.

There is Smiths supermarket, Centennial Hills hospital and Kohls, plus plenty of other places to eat and shop all in walking distance and you have pretty easy bus access directly to the strip and Fashion Show Mall. It's a pretty quick ride for a bus going that distance because there are limited stops on the route.
Oh Geez, I forgot about that! Great suggestion Tires, and Centennial Hills is a great place to live too!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
If you absolutely had to do it, you probably could. But it's reeeaaaalllyyy stupid to move someplace that is as blatently and completely autocentric as metro Vegas, knowing you won't have a car. You're making your life much more difficult and cutting yourself off from a lot of the positive features of the area.

If the OP wants to live without a car, move someplace that is built around that model (or stay were he is.) If he wants to move to Vegas, he should get his head around the fact that he's going to need a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
It's not like other big cities that have much better public transportation, but it can be done depending on where you live and work.
You will have to plan where you live, what you do and where you go in your spare time around where you work and what's in walking distance of your home and what's in walking distance of bus lines.
It will make traveling outside of a small area near your home very inconvenient and very time consuming, but not "impossible." They're people riding the buses doing this every day.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM

I've been to Vegas enough to know what it is beyond the Strip. The people who try to live in Vegas carless usually do it out of necessity and/or poverty. As I've said in other posts, if you want a carless lifestyle, pick a city better suited to it, because Vegas is probably one of the worst cities to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
What????

Why the hay yell does someone who lives in New Yawk and never lived in LV keep giving out wrong info on a Las Vegas chat board?

I really have to agree with Tires about this..only because I know people personally who use the CAT bus system to full advantage and it's not really that expensive.

I have friends of mine who live off Flamingo, in between Jones and Decatur. They take the bus EVERYWHERE! To the Strip, to the store, to Meadows Mall, they have one ancient car between the husband and wife and try not to use it as much as possible. They even take the bus to the Strip to go to work!! I think it might be the 202 Line but I'm not sure about that.

They purchase yearly passes from the RTC and use the bus system to tool around town, 24/7. They live within walking distance of a bus route/stop that serves their needs.

Definately not as convenient as using your own vehicle and my friends have to allow a bit extra time for transfers when necessary, but definately doable within reasonable time frames. There are lots of people who can and do use the bus, where it is convenient for them to do so. Not everyplace in the valley is though. The further west and south you go, the less likely you will find a convenient bus stop/route to take you to the Strip area in a reasonable amount of time. Once, I remember them telling me of the morning the bus broke down and never got to their stop. That was the taxi day, lol.
So, as with any public transportation, things can interrupt it suddenly and without warning, lol.

For the OP, choosing an area wisely, one that has convenience to grocery stores, banks, etc. and is ON one the bus routes that go to Strip and Fremont St. and enable you to get around without a car, and by choosing wisely you will be able to live in a little bit better and safer area than those areas within walking distance to the Strip.

Here's some info

Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) | Transit Routes & Schedules (http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/transit/route/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM

Oye vay

Guess you just don't understand, that the OP wants to move to Las Vegas and NOT some other place.

Oh, and I forgot, as a tourista, you know a lot more than the locals do, lol

Touche'

Last edited by MomMom; 04-28-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
well said mom

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Thank you.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-28-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Moms,

So are you living without a car?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Moms,

So are you living without a car?
No, but I don't live near convenient bus lines either. If I did, I'd take the Deuce all over! However, I know people that do ride the bus as their transportation, and they are far from being considered on the poverty level.

With gas prices climbing to almost $4.00 a gallon, I WISH I had a bus stop nearby that I could use conveniently.

Unfortunately, when I bought all my homes years and years ago, there were no bus routes out here yet at all, lol

Last edited by MomMom; 04-28-2011 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas