U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM

5,779 posts, read 13,627,819 times

Advertisements

My current lease will be up in about 7 weeks, I have resided in the "Paradise" area for the past ten months and I wanted to share my thoughts on the area with everybody here and anybody considering the Paradise area as a place to live

One word: DON'T

When one drives through the Paradise area you can sense the depression and sadness, along with the strong smell of human urine in the atmosphere

At the intersection of Twain and Swenson, police lights and sirens are almost an hourly occurrence, and police beatings occur at this intersection almost daily.

As one drives (or crawls) down Maryland Parkway one will see the pedestrians on the street are mostly vagrants, drug addicts, mentally ill or other dregs of society. The Flamingo Wash which travels parallel to Flamingo Road, homeless can always be found living under there

The traffic congestion in this area is THE worst I have ever seen in any city. And I have been in traffic in LA, NY, ATL, DC, and many major cities along the east coast. You will find the average speed on Flamingo Road is about 30 mph, but it is a 45-50 mph zone, DI is your best alternative, and the average red light will make you sit about 4-7 minutes at a time. Living in "Paradise" you will find you spend 50% of your daily life stuck in traffic

This area is also very dangerous to anybody who owns a small dog. A majority of dog owners own either pit bulls or rotweillers and visciousness is encouraged. I have walked my Jack Russell terrier a few times and often these dog owners will tell their pit, rot, or doberman to "GET 'EM BOY!"

Back to the pedestrians, none of whom walk with a sense of urgency when crossing a street, they take their time as if they own whatever street they're crossing (Twain and Swenson being the worst)

A majority of main roads in Paradise, Swenson, Maryland from Sahara to Russell, DI from Swenson to Eastern, Tropicana from Swenson to Pecos and Flamingo from Swenson all the way to 95, are little with old run down and slummy crackerbox apartments, many of which charge very little if any to move in and will often give you your first month free

I think the worst street of all may be Sierra Vista. A small quiet street usually can become very dangerous at night, inspite of Metro having a substation at SV and Swenson. Many of the apartment complexes are very small and scary looking, particularly the "French Quarter" This street is often walked by prostitutes, gangbangers, drug addicts, and psychotics. Avoid this area at night as MUCH as possible

Something I have learned about neighborhoods in Las Vegas is this, if you want to live in a good area, you must look either North of Craig Rd, West of Rainbow Blvd, or south of Russell in order to be a in a good safe neighborhood

Paradise? Not Even Close! Avoid any areas east of Rainbow at all costs.

The only GOOD thing I can say about Paradise is all my shopping I want is less than 1 mile away. But its never good to walk into the Target on Flamingo and Maryland and see two ARMED security guards at the store entrance

Rant about Paradise over. I HATE this neighborhood and wont miss it when I leave
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,944,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
My current lease will be up in about 7 weeks, I have resided in the "Paradise" area for the past ten months and I wanted to share my thoughts on the area with everybody here and anybody considering the Paradise area as a place to live

One word: DON'T

When one drives through the Paradise area you can sense the depression and sadness, along with the strong smell of human urine in the atmosphere

At the intersection of Twain and Swenson, police lights and sirens are almost an hourly occurrence, and police beatings occur at this intersection almost daily.

As one drives (or crawls) down Maryland Parkway one will see the pedestrians on the street are mostly vagrants, drug addicts, mentally ill or other dregs of society. The Flamingo Wash which travels parallel to Flamingo Road, homeless can always be found living under there

The traffic congestion in this area is THE worst I have ever seen in any city. And I have been in traffic in LA, NY, ATL, DC, and many major cities along the east coast. You will find the average speed on Flamingo Road is about 30 mph, but it is a 45-50 mph zone, DI is your best alternative, and the average red light will make you sit about 4-7 minutes at a time. Living in "Paradise" you will find you spend 50% of your daily life stuck in traffic

This area is also very dangerous to anybody who owns a small dog. A majority of dog owners own either pit bulls or rotweillers and visciousness is encouraged. I have walked my Jack Russell terrier a few times and often these dog owners will tell their pit, rot, or doberman to "GET 'EM BOY!"

Back to the pedestrians, none of whom walk with a sense of urgency when crossing a street, they take their time as if they own whatever street they're crossing (Twain and Swenson being the worst)

A majority of main roads in Paradise, Swenson, Maryland from Sahara to Russell, DI from Swenson to Eastern, Tropicana from Swenson to Pecos and Flamingo from Swenson all the way to 95, are little with old run down and slummy crackerbox apartments, many of which charge very little if any to move in and will often give you your first month free

I think the worst street of all may be Sierra Vista. A small quiet street usually can become very dangerous at night, inspite of Metro having a substation at SV and Swenson. Many of the apartment complexes are very small and scary looking, particularly the "French Quarter" This street is often walked by prostitutes, gangbangers, drug addicts, and psychotics. Avoid this area at night as MUCH as possible

Something I have learned about neighborhoods in Las Vegas is this, if you want to live in a good area, you must look either North of Craig Rd, West of Rainbow Blvd, or south of Russell in order to be a in a good safe neighborhood

Paradise? Not Even Close! Avoid any areas east of Rainbow at all costs.

The only GOOD thing I can say about Paradise is all my shopping I want is less than 1 mile away. But its never good to walk into the Target on Flamingo and Maryland and see two ARMED security guards at the store entrance

Rant about Paradise over. I HATE this neighborhood and wont miss it when I leave
Great post Davie! That's why us locals always try and steer away the posters who come on here and want to know about the great "bargain" house or apartment they found in that area.

Sad thing is, is that when you see a lot of these national surveys, lists, ratings, etc...they always use "PARADISE Las Vegas" for the stats in their lists. The area encompasses most (but not all) of the Strip, the airport and UNLV and very close by surrounding areas. It is not really representative of all of Las Vegas at all. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances, so I know how you feel and how anxious you are to get away from there.

And knowing where you're going, you can certainly see the difference!

Hope all your plans are moving along well!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM

13,818 posts, read 26,865,361 times
I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday. Parking by the lake and there was not another car in sight. And, I never had a girl looking any better than you did. And all the kids at school...they were wishing they were me that night. And now our bodies are oh so close and tight. It never felt so good, it never felt so right. And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife. C'mon! Hold on tight! C'mon! Hold on tight!

Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night...I can see Paradise by the dashboard light.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Great post Davie! That's why us locals always try and steer away the posters who come on here and want to know about the great "bargain" house or apartment they found in that area.

Sad thing is, is that when you see a lot of these national surveys, lists, ratings, etc...they always use "PARADISE Las Vegas" for the stats in their lists. The area encompasses most (but not all) of the Strip, the airport and UNLV and very close by surrounding areas. It is not really representative of all of Las Vegas at all. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances, so I know how you feel and how anxious you are to get away from there.

Sounds like Brentwood...on Long Island!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Sounds like Brentwood...on Long Island!
?????

Not to be off topic, but wasn't that a real nice area?

Paradise, Las Vegas is definately not!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM

14,390 posts, read 12,209,301 times
In LA, Brentwood is nice. LI, not so sure. Wyndanch, fuggetaboudit.

Why did I think Paradise was on the west side? But yeah, even I, who doesn't live in Vegas, know that the near east side is to be avoided.

Quote:
?????

Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,296,080 times
Up until the early 1980's that was the best part of town to live in, but now it's the highest in crime. That's what happens when things get old, they get cheap. Then the riffraff moves in and crime goes up. That's why I always recommend avoiding the older neighborhoods. I've watched nearly every neighborhood in Las Vegas deteriorate that way. To be honest, I wouldn't even buy in Scotch 80 or Rancho Circle if I had the money. In this town you've got to keep moving west.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
?????

hmmm...when I left in '88, they're seemed to be a ratio of pitbulls to houses of about 1:1. Since that was 23 years ago and things may have changed...I decided to pop over to the LI forum and do a search...

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...hese-days.html

Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM

5,779 posts, read 13,627,819 times
Quote:

Clark County couldn't PAY ME to live in "Paradise" any longer than I have to.

Buzz, you basically said the same thing DynimageLV told me about that area how it was great up until the early 80s or so. I believe it was a nice area back in the day and probably how it got its name. But like you said, you have to keep moving west or northwest

Mommom, the apartments in my current area are not bargains by any means. Sure the rent is cheap but with all the bs you have to put up with, its not worth it.

My 1100+ sq ft apt I will be moving to in Centennial next month for $750 is a bargain IMO. Sure work will be 17 miles away but it will be worth the drive and extra gas money if it means I can be in a safe place

I will say about Paradise its nice to have the Blvd Mall, Vons, Target, Smith's, Albertson's, Kmart, Various restuarants and other shops, all close by. But by the same token, all that will be close to me in the NW too and then some

I dont consider being close to the strip a plus, having come from a tourist town before moving here, I know I dont want to live anywhere NEAR tourists. Work near tourists sure, live near them? Hell no. Im not a real clubber or partier or gambler anyways. My gf and I discussed this that once we move we will have a choice between Aliante and Santa Fe Stations to go to if we want to go out

It could be worse as well, I could be living off Washington and D Street that is by far THE scariest neighborhood I have ever had the displeasure of driving through

I would like to retract one of my statements about bad neighborhoods though, you dont have to be west of Rainbow to be safe, more like west of Decatur or Jones (depending on which cross street you're at) a lot of LV just west of Valley View and 15 isnt bad like Paradise, its just old, but it seems to have held up a bit better

6 and a 1/2 more weeks! To the NW I Go

Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
hmmm...when I left in '88, they're seemed to be a ratio of pitbulls to houses of about 1:1. Since that was 23 years ago and things may have changed...I decided to pop over to the LI forum and do a search...

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...hese-days.html
Wow! I remember in the 60's and 70's that was a nice area

Looking over those postings, you were correct jfk. Paradise and Brentwood are alike in so many ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas