Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
23,063 posts, read 28,774,691 times
Reputation: 32335

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you're smart, you'd avoid that area like the plague.
Ding-ding! Las Vegas is capable of a 6.5+ earthquake, and when that happens, you won't be safe even in Spanish Hills or Summerlin!

Our country is famous for being Home of the Brave, and thank God there's still brave people left in this country who are willing to brave living in downtown Las Vegas!

Let the cowards go elsewhere!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM
 
37 posts, read 122,485 times
Reputation: 28
Thanks for all the replies!

If I was going to be renting, (thinking of a budget around $800 / 1 BR), are there any specific complexes I should be looking at? When I was down there I didn't see too may apartments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
 
15,746 posts, read 14,343,513 times
Reputation: 11802
Let's be real here. Calling it the "Arts District" is an attempt to rebrand a pseudo-slum to something that sounds hip, edgy, and attractive, when, in fact, it's still pretty much a slum.

The question is not if you can survive there (the answer being yes - probably), but why would you want to, if there are plenty of other much more attractive, convenient, and, yes, safe areas available. Unless you can't afford those. In which case, it really doesn't matter if it's an "Arts District", it's just a cheap, downtrodden area you can afford, and you're just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ding-ding! Las Vegas is capable of a 6.5+ earthquake, and when that happens, you won't be safe even in Spanish Hills or Summerlin!

Our country is famous for being Home of the Brave, and thank God there's still brave people left in this country who are willing to brave living in downtown Las Vegas!

Let the cowards go elsewhere!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 38,050,066 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Let's be real here. Calling it the "Arts District" is an attempt to rebrand a pseudo-slum to something that sounds hip, edgy, and attractive, when, in fact, it's still pretty much a slum.

The question is not if you can survive there (the answer being yes - probably), but why would you want to, if there are plenty of other much more attractive, convenient, and, yes, safe areas available. Unless you can't afford those. In which case, it really doesn't matter if it's an "Arts District", it's just a cheap, downtrodden area you can afford, and you're just trying to put lipstick on a pig.
The arts district is not particularly slumey...more lower end commercial. It is of course a re-branding attempt but not driven by slum clearance. More an attempt to revitalize a commercial area with a new role. Perhaps you remember Soho?

In general I doubt it is practical to live in the arts district. The actual dwelling areas are places like the lofts and the Park-Huntridge area where you do get into some gentrification.

Though it appears to have been forgotten gentrification does work...the Alta corridor was way beaten down 20 years ago and has come storming back.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Lotusland
54 posts, read 138,061 times
Reputation: 51
If you go on google maps and zone in on the area, click on the earth view satelite map then the little yellow person icon on the left. You can virtually drive up and down the streets in the neighbourhood and you will see it's not really an area to live in at this time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,814 posts, read 28,391,107 times
Reputation: 7615
Arts District??? Just curious...is this being officially promoted (and funded) that way by the city?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 38,050,066 times
Reputation: 2661
18b Arts District


18b Arts District (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,814 posts, read 28,391,107 times
Reputation: 7615
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nice. Glad to see they are promoting it as such. Thx for the link.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM
 
15,746 posts, read 14,343,513 times
Reputation: 11802
Okay, I had it in the wrong area. However I would consider where it is worse than where i thought it was.

Isn't this part of, or abutting Naked City?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
23,063 posts, read 28,774,691 times
Reputation: 32335
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The arts district is not particularly slumey...more lower end commercial. It is of course a re-branding attempt but not driven by slum clearance. More an attempt to revitalize a commercial area with a new role. Perhaps you remember Soho?

In general I doubt it is practical to live in the arts district. The actual dwelling areas are places like the lofts and the Park-Huntridge area where you do get into some gentrification.

Though it appears to have been forgotten gentrification does work...the Alta corridor was way beaten down 20 years ago and has come storming back.
It's the brave, courageous, urban pioneers we can be thankful for, when an area finally becomes reclaimed, gentrified.

How did Harlem finally become a chic, trendy place to live? I stayed in a Luxury hostel two years ago at 118th street and Malcom X in Harlem. Thank-you pioneers, for not being scared away to the suburbs of NYC! And a double thanks to those
beginning to reclaim areas of the Bronx! Yes, even gentrification has started in the Bronx!

Georgetown in Washington, D.C. was one ugly slum, until the brave pioneers moved in and reclaimed the entire area as one of the most expensive areas to live in D.C.

I bought a condo loft in a low-income area of downtown Minneapolis, in 1989, an area destined to become a yuppie stronghold. Yes, there were mornings I found Indian drunks asleep outside my historic building, and I was accosted by panhandlers in the neigborhood, and I had co-workers nervous about visiting me, but I never felt unsafe, I enjoyed the challenge!

By scaring people into living in the outer rings of Las Vegas, is never going to bring our downtown areas back, or the Paradise district.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-13-2011 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: edit/add line
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top