Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 67,926 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Back in June of 2010 I started posting on here about us wanting to move to Vegas this year and it is finally going to happen in a few weeks. Here is the link to the first post about us. //www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/1010208-our-story.html

We decided to try to sell our house by ourselves so we put a House For Sale sign by the road on a Sunday and got a call on the next day (Monday) that someone wanted to look at it. We showed them around and they decided to buy it that day. We were shocked that someone bought it so quickly our heads were spinning. They were using a relator to look for a new place so we are using their relator to help us all out. We had a lot to still clean up and told them we couldn't move out until the beginning of June and they said that was ok. Since they bought it everything has been going great and we close on June 10th.

We are renting a 26ft Uhaul and are going to tow one car behind it on a flatbed. We will also be towing our boat behind our other truck. We are taking my wife's two sisters and their husbands along to help us get there and unpack. We are paying for the hotels on the way out and flying them back home on June 18th. They only have to pay for their food. For now we will be staying in the Cantera at Coronado Ranch apartments on South Rainbow Blvd.

These next few weeks will be going pretty fast and we can't wait to start our new lives in Vegas. If anybody has any advice about what we have to do first when we get there we would really like to hear it. Thanks.

Mark and Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Take the southern route!!!!!!!! Don't go through the mountains with a uhaul or trailer. It's an easier drive through Texas, nm, az

Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM

249 posts, read 650,416 times
Awesome story ! Best of luck... we are tyring to get out there as well :-)
3 women ???? I would def take a portable potty so that you get there before Thanksgiving !!! LOL Just kidding.. seriously nice to read about someone's story on a + note and see that all is working in their favor !
Keep us posted once you get there :-)

Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,765,765 times
Abort mission.
Return to home base.
Out.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM

293 posts, read 641,848 times
Actually we have taken both the southern and northern routes and like the northern one better. Was a smoother ride and did not take as long...With all the storm damage lately in the south it might be a better ride north also. You go through northern Ohio on 80/90 and straight across, then down through Utah. We made it only staying twice and we had 3 kids and 5 dogs; there was a lot of open road that was more scenic. I have just tired of the St. Louis-Tex/Ok-New Mex-Arz way..

Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Actually we have taken both the southern and northern routes and like the northern one better. Was a smoother ride and did not take as long...With all the storm damage lately in the south it might be a better ride north also. You go through northern Ohio on 80/90 and straight across, then down through Utah. We made it only staying twice and we had 3 kids and 5 dogs; there was a lot of open road that was more scenic. I have just tired of the St. Louis-Tex/Ok-New Mex-Arz way..
+1

I've taken all three routes to/from Chicago multiple times. Here's a synopsis:

1) I-80 west to I-76 angling down from western Nebraska (Big Springs?) to Denver, then I-70 west until I-15 south in Utah. This route is the shortest & also most scenic - the Rocky Mountains & parts of Utah look great, but most of I-70 in Utah is desolate. You go about 100 miles in Utah where there's literally nothing but one small town. I've taken this route the most times.

2) I-55 south to St. Louis, then I-44 west until picking up I-40 west around Oklahoma City, picking up Hwy 93 around Kingman, AZ then to Las Vegas (aka Southern Route). This route is the clear choice during winter months, as driving conditions are likely to be far better than other options. The main areas of concern are going through the Ozarks west of St. Louis & possible snow or other weather near Flagstaff, AZ. The downside is it adds about a couple hundred miles.

3) I-80 west all the way to Salt Lake City, then I-15 south to Las Vegas. This route is about 30-40 miles longer than option 1, provided you bypass Salt Lake City on the East side through Heber & Provo. I've only taken this route twice, but it's become my preferred route. You're traveling at high elevations through Wyoming, but there's much less up & down compared to going through the Rockies & mountains on I-70 in Utah. This route works well & has the added benefit (tho not a huge deal) that Wyoming has the cheapest gas around. DON'T take this route in winter, though - you have the risk of having I-80 closed. Not a detour or re-route, CLOSED - go home!

I make this trip 2-3 times/yr, so you'd better believe time & stress matter. The first route is theoretically the fastest, but the third route's become the easiest for me. The time difference is negligible between #1 & #3, maybe a half-hour. The southern route just takes too long.

In the OP's case, they're coming from Pittsburgh so it'll likely be six of one, half a dozen of the other. I-70 & I-80 are equally viable options starting from Pittsburgh & even the southern route isn't much extra distance. If you're hauling a load you won't want to go through Denver & the Rockies (too much up & down), either take the southern route or I-80 all the way to Salt Lake then down I-15 to Las Vegas. Hope this helps the OP (or anyone else, for that matter).

Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkimO View Post
Hi everyone. Back in June of 2010 I started posting on here about us wanting to move to Vegas this year and it is finally going to happen in a few weeks. Here is the link to the first post about us. //www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/1010208-our-story.html

We decided to try to sell our house by ourselves so we put a House For Sale sign by the road on a Sunday and got a call on the next day (Monday) that someone wanted to look at it. We showed them around and they decided to buy it that day. We were shocked that someone bought it so quickly our heads were spinning. They were using a relator to look for a new place so we are using their relator to help us all out. We had a lot to still clean up and told them we couldn't move out until the beginning of June and they said that was ok. Since they bought it everything has been going great and we close on June 10th.

We are renting a 26ft Uhaul and are going to tow one car behind it on a flatbed. We will also be towing our boat behind our other truck. We are taking my wife's two sisters and their husbands along to help us get there and unpack. We are paying for the hotels on the way out and flying them back home on June 18th. They only have to pay for their food. For now we will be staying in the Cantera at Coronado Ranch apartments on South Rainbow Blvd.

These next few weeks will be going pretty fast and we can't wait to start our new lives in Vegas. If anybody has any advice about what we have to do first when we get there we would really like to hear it. Thanks.

Mark and Kim
We have friends that moved here from PA (Erie) about 5 years ago, they are still loving it, a bit older than you guys (mid-50's), both have full time jobs on the Strip, have a beautiful home in Desert Shores near the Lake and their only complaint that they tell me all the time is "why didn't we do this years ago?" They truly enjoy our winters here in Vegas. Coming from PA, I bet you understand! LOL!!

Much good luck to you both, enjoy!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM

322 posts, read 710,552 times
Great! There are so many folks from Pittsburgh in Vegas. Steeler clubs abound!

You'll be fine in Vegas. You'll love it.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
Great! There are so many folks from Pittsburgh in Vegas. Steeler clubs abound!

You'll be fine in Vegas. You'll love it.
and even more from CLEVELAND!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM

135 posts, read 438,680 times
Hi,

We just (3 weeks ago) moved from N.Y. - The main thing we had to remember was that we had 30 days to obtain your Nevada DL and 60 to register your vehicles.
Good luck - other than the fact that I think we brought the NorthEast weather with us we absolutely love it so far. So easy to get around and everyone we've met is super friendly.
Good Luck,
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas