Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,442,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I feel like I disappointed a lot of you, it seems like no matter where I go I never happy. the most of all I disappointed myself. I'm sorry everybody
Davie, I wasn't going to respond to this thread but now that you've opened this door.

It seems like there's a void in your life that you think you can fill by changing locale. My recollection is that you had similar complaints about Orlando; it didn't feel like home, you didn't fit in, etc. I'd put some work in on identifying what it is that's leaving you unfulfilled and address that. Otherwise, you won't be totally happy anywhere.

That's just my $.02 from an outside observer who obviously doesn't know your entire story. Best of luck with your future pursuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,253,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Sounds like a plan, Davie. Well-thought out and fair. I wish you luck on whatever you decide, and admire that you've taken a step that many others just dream or talk about. You came...you saw...and you conquered...(and remember, nobody can ever take that away from you.) If nothing else...it will be a fantastic learning experience in your life.
I totally agree. Nothing wrong with loving where you came from and deciding to make it your permanent home. But to do so without ever giving another place a try is very limiting. I'm a firm believer that exploring different horizons is an enriching experience that broadens one's outlook in important ways. International travel is also educational. I have a hard time accepting the opinions of people who have lived a narrow life and have nothing to compare their experiences with. You can't learn everything there is to know in school or on TV.

All the best to you, Davie.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,447,574 times
Quote:
I feel like I disappointed a lot of you, it seems like no matter where I go I never happy. the most of all I disappointed myself. I'm sorry everybody
The only person you disappointed is yourself. No one is forcing you to stay in Las Vegas, and certainly, no one is going to talk you into staying or judging you on your decision to go home to FL. None of us have any vested interest in your decision. You don't need our opinions, point of views, sympathy or coddling to make your decision. In other words, we don't care what you do, so long as it makes you happy.

We all followed you through your ups and downs, your triumphs and failures during this past year, the drama, the highs and the lows. We wished you well, gave you support and said prayers for you.

You've been here a year and didn't have too much success, you are homesick, you're 21 years old.

You belong back with your folks in Florida.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,073,873 times
Dude I hate to sound like a geezer, but at 21 not many people know what they want in life and they're always searching for something...something more, something better, something different. It's the classic grass is greener mentality. There's a lot to be said about location and your environment, but from the time you started posting on here I could sense you weren't happy with yourself. If that's the case you're not going to be happy anywhere until you get over what ever is holding you down.

It sounds like you need family and a support system right now more than anything else. Look Vegas is an okay place, but if you're already doubting whther to stay or go, it's only going to get worse.

One day you'll realize that life is what we make it and there is no perfect place, no perfect person, etc. Family and friends should be at or near the top of your list as far as priorities go. You came, you saw, you had some fun. What else is there left for you here?

Do yourself a favor and split. figure out WTF you want to do with your life, what makes you happy and just go for it. You thought Vegas was the answer and as many have discovered, including myself, it wasnt. Lesson learned....next.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM

699 posts, read 2,211,507 times
Quote:
aw, man, give yourself a break. stick to your plan of one more year.

orlando will still be the land of mouse, with low wages, and cheap tippers.

a lot of what you're going through is two-fold.
one: you don't like where you have been living. and you've made changes to live better in your new place.
two: the job market is easy and tough all at the same time. there's many of us working multiple part time jobs because employers aren't hiring full time.

if you live in a better neighborhood, and have steady income and have a gf who's on board with you, then what more could you have in florida, other than proximal contact with your family?

you've laid a lot of groundwork with what you have accomplished so far, and if you leave, it's a lot of work for a couple of jobs on your resume.
Taking your age into account, and that one more year may position you
to get a job in a good house and start a long career. and be able to plan great things with your gf.

another thing, you should take some time to re-read your threads from a year ago. remind yourself where you were and what you were thinking.
you didn't imagine it. it was real and you weren't happy then about it.

finally, these days are a struggle for a lot of folks. no one we know is killing it financially. everyone's just trying to get by and trying to have fun when and where they can.

hang in there.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,687,690 times
It took me about 2 yrs before Las Vegas felt like home to me. I miss all my friends in the Bay Area also, but I can always take a short flight out for the weekend. But Vegas isn't for everyone and I would say give it more of a chance and see, but if your mind is made up, then go where you think is "home" if that will make you happy.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,006,857 times
Now is the time to explore ALL options. If I were you, I'd go back to Orlando. You can recharge the batteries. Get a job there for awhile, see family. Than at your age, you could take off again just as easily and try another city in the future.

Now is the time to do it. I mean, yourself being young and single, a rentor, and the job you got there or somewhere else, would more or less be the same thing.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,381,834 times
If you are miserable and homesick it doesn't make sense to lock yourself into a lease. Maybe you will be able to catch up financially if you go back home where you will have a support system.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 PM

579 posts, read 1,206,668 times
I'll add another thing Davie..... You really need to see this, in this light: That you are in the prime position to explore areas of the country till you find what you want. You are young, single, childless, and not locked into a career or working for the county/state and vested waiting for a pension. I only wish I had done this at your age, which is try another city on for size. Do it now while you are free to bounce back and forth with relative ease. There's nothing worse than realizing you want to leave but you have to wait darn near till retirement. Take a few trips to places that sound interesting. We lucked into a really nice one about 7 years back, fell in love with the city, spent about 5 years planning, and are now moving. My husband and I always look back at that age and wish we'd just went backpacking across the US till we knew what we wanted, picking up work here and there. You are really at a great age to make changes without much harm.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,414,428 times
Davie...just curious...what does your gf think about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas