Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windie44 View Post
Who runs these HOA's and if there is a problem with them why hasn't the locals fixed them.
The HOA itself is comprised of elected members of that neighborhood. They are homeowners and neighbors donating their time.

Many HOAs hire a management company to enforce their CC&Rs and handle the financial aspects of it. Read the CC&Rs and if there is anything in there you can't live with then back out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 PM

16 posts, read 28,490 times
Thanks for all the advice. I of course have read and re read the CC&R about 5 times. 59 pages of a lot of where as's written by lawyers for lawyers. I see nothing in them that seems that restrictive. I guess I thought maybe I could get feed back from people that actually live there rather then those that feed off of them. In my 68 years I have found that in most documents its the words that are not said that are the most troublesome. Im coming to Las Vegas with high hopes that every thing will be reasonable. If not I will deal with it. Making this move for my wife's health not to start a war. Keep up with the cheer leading. Thanks though for all the feedback. End of story

Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windie44 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I of course have read and re read the CC&R about 5 times. 59 pages of a lot of where as's written by lawyers for lawyers. I see nothing in them that seems that restrictive. I guess I thought maybe I could get feed back from people that actually live there rather then those that feed off of them. In my 68 years I have found that in most documents its the words that are not said that are the most troublesome. Im coming to Las Vegas with high hopes that every thing will be reasonable. If not I will deal with it. Making this move for my wife's health not to start a war. Keep up with the cheer leading. Thanks though for all the feedback. End of story
that is a relative small set of CC&Rs. Did you find a set of rules and regulations?

There does not have to be one...but if the development is active in enforcement there is always a set.

CC&Rs set the groundrules. Say such things as the board may regulate...and then the board can. If not stated in the CC&Rs the board can't...

There may be specifics in the CC&Rs. Pets for instance. But mostly the CC&Rs defers the regulations to the Board.

But the reality is in the Rules and Regulations.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM

16 posts, read 28,490 times
Thanks Olecapt:
Yes the rules and regulations are condensed 44 pages instead of 57. The $160 package came with that as well as the CC&R the financials the bylaws the fine schedule reserve summery the budget but no minutes from any meetings as someone suggested. I know that many times the only people that post about anything is usually when things go wrong. My closing was held up today because of a water leak problem that is going to have to be fixed. Coming from a non restricted area to one like this always has concerns. I am going to assume that the covenants are for reasonableness of property use and not for a source of revenue. Thanks I will post later after I become a local.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 PM

412 posts, read 915,623 times
They cannot fine people immediately without warnings or some time to fix the issue. Fines come only after warnings don't result in any response to correct the problem.
If an HOA is collecting tons of fines, then they have tons of stubborn residents who won't respond to anything less than a fine.
If you are buying into a HOA, check that they have adequate reserves to cover the expenses or you can expect increased dues rates and special assessments to make up for it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas