Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 AM

393 posts, read 502,067 times

Advertisements

Have you ever used central heat that was heated by electricity? Is it expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:02 AM

11,137 posts, read 15,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
Have you ever used central heat that was heated by electricity? Is it expensive?
Yes and yes. Our electric bill in January was higher than any bill we had last summer.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
Most of the older places we have lived had whole house electric appliances and furnaces, and it definitely costs more than gas. But here in Las Vegas we don't call it central heat or central air conditioning. We just have heat and A/C. I've always associated "central" with basements and registers in the floor. Ours are called "vents" and they are near the ceiling because cold air sinks, and hot air rises, and we are more concerned with cold air than warm air.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,050,066 times
Pure electric heat is very expensive. And you do find it in older homes.

New all electric homes use heat pumps...which are much more efficient than pure electric heaters.

Our winter heating bills are about half that of our AC bills.

@MMB - You should have that checked out. If you are on a heat pump it should not happen. Perhaps you are going to the heating elements rather than the heat pump...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM

11,137 posts, read 15,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
@MMB - You should have that checked out. If you are on a heat pump it should not happen. Perhaps you are going to the heating elements rather than the heat pump...
The problem isn't with the heat pump, it is with my wife. She likes it toasty in the winter. We usually have the thermostat(s) set in the mid to upper 70s.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:07 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,822,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The problem isn't with the heat pump, it is with my wife. She likes it toasty in the winter. We usually have the thermostat(s) set in the mid to upper 70s.
Set your thermostat to 62 in the summer. Now your winter bill will be lower than summer. Problem solved.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You wanna trade wives for a while? Mine likes to have the a/c at 10 below 0, and never wants to use the heater. We just got back from Home Depot with a portable evaporative cooler for her home office.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
we sleep heat off....one blanket and the patio door open all but about 4 weeks of the winter

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM

687 posts, read 4,397,728 times
Let me give a couple of tips for cheaper heating with a heat pump.

Not all but most of the heat pumps in this valley, have a built in electric auxillary heat kit. The purpose of the heat kit is to aid the heat pump on super cold mornings, when it just cant quite keep up.

If you walk up to the thermostat and throw it up more than 2 or 3 degrees, not only are you engaging the heat pump but you are also engaging the heat strip, this is where running the unit gets expensive.

I added an outdoor lockout thermostat to my heat pump that keeps the auxillary heat strip off, unless it's below 30 degrees outside. If you dont want to go that far, usually you can just shut the heat strip off at the unit.

Also, if you have a heat pump, you never want to keep the house below 65 degrees in the winter. It takes way too long for a heat pump to recover on its own.

My uncle used to complain of high power bills with his heat pump and he was one of those people that would let the house get ice cold at night and then get up in the morning, throw the thermostat way up and was running heat pump and strip heat. Very very expensive! After a lesson from me, their power bill dropped to half of what it was.

And one last thing, make sure your defrost cycle is set for 90 minutes. Anything more than that is too much in this dry desert. This will also save alot on auxillary heat run time.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM

393 posts, read 502,067 times
How much does it cost a month to heat your house to able 70 with an electic heater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas