Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM

412 posts, read 915,954 times

Advertisements

I noticed this means more types of people can afford to be your neighbors. Tacky low class renters who don't care about their neighbors or the HOA CC&Rs along with a landlord that doesn't live in the community and doesn't care either as long as they get their rent check. On top of this, disgruntled homeowners upside down in their mortgages who can't afford to or just won't keep up their property.
Is there any solution other than running to a more expensive neighborhood and hoping the value doesn't drop much more?

I was thinking about a condo in Painted Desert since you can buy one well under $90K and still live in a nice guard gated golf community.

I saw this video of neighbors arguing in one of the condo complexes there and made me think twice about what it would be like to live there. There will be bad language, but the neighbor shouts not caring who hears her.

YouTube - ‪4931 black bear #201 las Vegas Nevada‬‏

Before I saw this video, the most negative I though about those condos what that they still have their 1990's kitchens and bathrooms that need updating and will probably need new HVAC systems and water heaters within 10 years which will many thousands of dollars to the real cost of owning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
I noticed this means more types of people can afford to be your neighbors. Tacky low class renters who don't care about their neighbors or the HOA CC&Rs along with a landlord that doesn't live in the community and doesn't care either as long as they get their rent check. On top of this, disgruntled homeowners upside down in their mortgages who can't afford to or just won't keep up their property.
Is there any solution other than running to a more expensive neighborhood and hoping the value doesn't drop much more?

I was thinking about a condo in Painted Desert since you can buy one well under $90K and still live in a nice guard gated golf community.

I saw this video of neighbors arguing in one of the condo complexes there and made me think twice about what it would be like to live there. There will be bad language, but the neighbor shouts not caring who hears her.

YouTube - ‪4931 black bear #201 las Vegas Nevada‬‏

Before I saw this video, the most negative I though about those condos what that they still have their 1990's kitchens and bathrooms that need updating and will probably need new HVAC systems and water heaters within 10 years which will many thousands of dollars to the real cost of owning.
You're going to find that in the nicer, more upscale residential areas, there aren't that many rentals, and the ones that are for rent, the tacky low class renters you mentioned, aren't able to afford it.

Anything at a bargain price, well, you're going to get what you pay for is usually the general rule of thumb.

While the SFR homes in Painted Desert are nice, I'd pass on this condo deal. At that price, you're almost assured of being in a complex with a lot of the renters you dislike.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I noticed this means more types of people can afford to be your neighbors...

LOL.

Do you not see the irony in starting a thread stating that lowered home values bring down neighborhoods because you get trashier neighbors and then saying that you are looking to buy a condo for well under $90k in a specific community because home values have dropped there?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
yep.....there goes the neighborhood

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM

412 posts, read 915,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL.

Do you not see the irony in starting a thread stating that lowered home values bring down neighborhoods because you get trashier neighbors and then saying that you are looking to buy a condo for well under $90k in a specific community because home values have dropped there?
There are cheaper condos in some other areas that are fine like 89128 and 89131.

A sign of how trashy the place is or will be become can be found by driving through the parking lot and noticing how many junky looking cars there are in view and how many large oil stains from leaking cars in disrepair from sloppy oil changes and other car repair attempts.

One more thing I noticed is that SFH neighborhoods are going down when you see lots of cars parked on the street from a combination of too many drivers sharing a home as roommates plus using their garage to store junk so there isn't room to park the cars in garages.

I don't know why other people who want to live economically cannot handle themselves better. That's why some places need what people consider "Nazi" HOAs.

Last edited by Tires; 05-23-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
We have met the enemy and he is us

Pogo

Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM

437 posts, read 792,652 times
I don't want to live in any neihgborhood that I can afford.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We have met the enemy and he is us

Pogo

Pogo....on the edge of the swamp....1956

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
There are cheaper condos in some other areas that are fine like 89128 and 89131.

A sign of how trashy the place is or will be become can be found by driving through the parking lot and noticing how many junky looking cars there are in view and how many large oil stains from leaking cars in disrepair from sloppy oil changes and other car repair attempts.

One more thing I noticed is that SFH neighborhoods are going down when you see lots of cars parked on the street from a combination of too many drivers sharing a home as roommates plus using their garage to store junk so there isn't room to park the cars in garages.

I don't know why other people who want to live economically cannot handle themselves better. That's why some places need what people consider "Nazi" HOAs.
That particular Condo is reasonably nice for its price point. Guard gated and then gated. All garages. Pretty much nicer than most of 89128. The Villas on the Green is nicer but also more expensive.

YOu can run into the loud music phenomena in any condo or even tight neighborhood anywhere. Or the teenage one. Or the drinking in the garage one.

I stll recommend olecapt's neighborhood test. Stand in the middle of the street and rotate...more than 10 pickups go somewhere else.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That particular Condo is reasonably nice for its price point. Guard gated and then gated. All garages. Pretty much nicer than most of 89128. The Villas on the Green is nicer but also more expensive.

YOu can run into the loud music phenomena in any condo or even tight neighborhood anywhere. Or the teenage one. Or the drinking in the garage one.

I stll recommend olecapt's neighborhood test. Stand in the middle of the street and rotate...more than 10 pickups go somewhere else.
I tried this test at my old house, saw a pick up truck in almost every garage/driveway parked next to a 50K+ car or SUV. Very confusing test. My new neighborhood has maybe one pick-up truck and the rest are all eco-friendly cars along with a couple of mini vans. I have two state troopers that live on my street and one of them is the only one with the pick-up, the other has a beater. I can also count more than 7 mid 2000 mustangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: