Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I thought you lived in Las Vegas, Pink. We get a white bin for paper, a red one for plastic and aluminum, and a blue one for glass. (Or is it blue plastic, and red glass?) I don't really think it matters anymore which bin you use since they mix it all together now. They are experimenting in some communities with providing a wheeled cart for all recycles and another one for garbágé. That's what my daughter has. I think the community has to ask for it, and I think they only pick up once a week instead of two.
I'm in North Las Vegas. We got stuck with the new recycling/garbage pickup prototype a few years ago. They needed test neighborhoods, so someone on the HOA board signed us up whether or not we liked it. So that is why one container is for recycling and one is for garbage. And you HAVE to use their containers, because they are made specifically to fit in the mechanical arms that pick it up. The whole valley is supposed to be assimilated eventually, and there will be no more garbage bags picked up, or small cans,etc. And you have to sit them a certain way next to the road, 2 feet apart or they won't take them. They sure are picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I'm in North Las Vegas. We got stuck with the new recycling/garbage pickup prototype a few years ago. They needed test neighborhoods, so someone on the HOA board signed us up whether or not we liked it. So that is why one container is for recycling and one is for garbage. And you HAVE to use their containers, because they are made specifically to fit in the mechanical arms that pick it up. The whole valley is supposed to be assimilated eventually, and there will be no more garbage bags picked up, or small cans,etc. And you have to sit them a certain way next to the road, 2 feet apart or they won't take them. They sure are picky.
The first thing I said upon moving here once I saw the bi-weekly trash pickups with actual garbage men doing the lifting was, "I know how the city can save a bunch of cash!". Bi-weekly seems very excessive as does the ability of residents to leave 20 bags of trash they expect to be manually tossed in a truck. 96 Gallons of trash once per week is a good amount of waste, plus many recyclers give the option for a second can if a household needs it....for a price.

I'm not sure if they are using the same trucks my old town had, but they only required one guy instead of two or three per truck. The one guy drives up and snatches the can with a hydraulic arm that dumps the can, shakes it and puts it back. Labor has got to be their biggest controllable expense, cutting it by a 1/2 to 2/3rds has got to be appealing.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
The first thing I said upon moving here once I saw the bi-weekly trash pickups with actual garbage men doing the lifting was, "I know how the city can save a bunch of cash!". Bi-weekly seems very excessive as does the ability of residents to leave 20 bags of trash they expect to be manually tossed in a truck. 96 Gallons of trash once per week is a good amount of waste, plus many recyclers give the option for a second can if a household needs it....for a price.

I'm not sure if they are using the same trucks my old town had, but they only required one guy instead of two or three per truck. The one guy drives up and snatches the can with a hydraulic arm that dumps the can, shakes it and puts it back. Labor has got to be their biggest controllable expense, cutting it by a 1/2 to 2/3rds has got to be appealing.
Yes, it's just one guy driving the truck now. They do not get out to pick up fallen bins,etc. They just stay in the truck and pick up the bins with the mechanical arm. If people are used to putting out their garbage containers right by their garage, they won't take them. It has to be right at the curbside with the handles towards you, not the other way around.
One truck comes early for recyclables, and the other truck comes later for the trash. Totally separate. I seriously doubt they mix it all together once they get back to the station after going through that amount of trouble to separate it all.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM

135 posts, read 437,702 times
Hi Pinkstring and MomMom - very helpful answers and good information about the re-use of water MomMom. I'm finding I can use one bowl of water a day to soak and clean then leave to air dry and into the recycle container they go - it's working great, and knowing the dirty water will eventually find it's way back to Lake Mead is re-assuring.

We used to have the mechanical arm/mandated rolling cart situation at our old house, it's not inconvenient for the user at all - in a way I'd hate to see it go into effect here as it would mean the loss of jobs - I presume one man per truck would be unemployed - I'd hate to see that happen anywhere.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC2 View Post
I presume one man per truck would be unemployed - I'd hate to see that happen anywhere.
It frees them up to become hydraulic and diesel mechanics that fix the machines that do their old job...for a higher wage and social status.

Whoever manufactures those trucks and hydraulic parts will also be adding some of those lost jobs to their payroll, although probably not locally....and maybe in China.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
And here I thought WE were paying THEM to perform a service. We're getting as bad as other cities. Rules, rules, rules...no matter how much the infringe on our rights. might as well live on the OCDish east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas