Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:03 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times

Advertisements

I've already found some candidate stones at WhiteFlash.com and GoodOldGold.com. Is there any point at all to looking in town? The stones I'm looking at are about $30k. I'm thinking that local retailers would be at least $50k for the same, and have limited selection, but I've never actually walked into a local jewelry store since beginning my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,652 times
Times are hard. You may find a dealer who will deal. But probably not on the strip. I would think the overhead is too high.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:43 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Whiteflash, GOG are just so much better. They have online reports, pictures, carry AGS/GIA graded diamonds, etc. If you want some more online vendor recs. or quotes Pricescope is a good site for diamond info/helpful forums if you haven't already checked it out.

I'll always put in a good word for Whiteflash, that is where we bought our diamond. I got my setting from Knox Jewelers- very easy to work with as well.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Whiteflash, GOG are just so much better. They have online reports, pictures, carry AGS/GIA graded diamonds, etc. If you want some more online vendor recs. or quotes Pricescope is a good site for diamond info/helpful forums if you haven't already checked it out.

I'll always put in a good word for Whiteflash, that is where we bought our diamond. I got my setting from Knox Jewelers- very easy to work with as well.
I've been hanging out on the forums at Pricescope.com for a while now. I've concluded that between the liberal return policy during the examination period (30-60 days) and the trade-up policy, the online vendors can't be touched. I'll probably go with Whiteflash if we have a setting custom designed, or GOG if we go with a designer setting. Thanks for the tip on Knox Jewelers, having the diamond set here is a possibility, once I figure out what kind of insurance I need.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
You know about pricescope, WF, GOG etc. that puts you way ahead of most diamond shoppers

Old 06-04-2011, 05:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
I think the only place to deal in loose diamonds is still Amsterdam.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think the only place to deal in loose diamonds is still Amsterdam.
Road trip

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
or fouty secon street in Gnu yawk.....since we dont seem to have a diamond district....just a couple of schlock jewelers that wanna "EVALURATE yer JEWRY" [from his commercial]

Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
or fouty secon street in Gnu yawk.....since we dont seem to have a diamond district....just a couple of schlock jewelers that wanna "EVALURATE yer JEWRY" [from his commercial]
The KINGS of Rip off!!! They will lie and lie and lie to get you to buy inferior merchnadise for a higher price. I had a friend who had experience with diamonds show me some basics. When I went to the boys down at 42nd it was one scam after another. And, of course, no one wanted to commit to a return policy. With just a little guidance it was obvious that they were showing me the worst of what they had.

Ended up finding a nice peice at an estate sale and had it reset.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
You're not likely to find anything in that price range here. At least not at a fair price. They soak the high rollers/celebrities making impulse purchases. The only place here where I've gotten good deals is the pawn shop off Fremont next to the beef jerky store. See Paul. He has a lot of unusual merchandise and antique(old, not the finish) pieces.

Optimally, if I was buying a stone like that, I would use it for an excuse to go to Israel or Amsterdam. But online is good. Back before I was poor, I got a beautiful 3C emerald cut stone for peanuts compared to what I would have paid locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas