Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If Nevada implements personal or corporate income tax, then I'm moving to Wyoming. That's not a threat; it's a fact. I'd be moving, along with my girlfriend, our business and four other family members.

Ours is not the only business that would leave - a corporate income tax would drive businesses - and residents - out of the state faster than you can imagine.

The schools here are BROKEN, not underfunded. Schools will ALWAYS say that they need more money - you can't just throw it at them and expect them to do a better job of educating kids.
I see no liklihood of an income tax. But I would think that taxing at a reasonable level would be a rational choice if we really want to diversify.

The school system is just fine in its upper third or quarter. Good schools good teachers with a reasonable outcome.

The bottom quarter or third is terrible.

If you fund at the 50th level and get an outcome at the 50th level it should not surprise anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
We do not need to create new taxes or raise current taxes, need to cut waste. Does no good to get more money if it is just going to be wasted.
Talking point lacking substance. "waste" is real but a minor part of the spend.

Fund at the 50th level and perform at the 50th level. Makes pretty good sense actually.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM

699 posts, read 2,218,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I could go for every one of those except the prostitution thing. That would kill off much chance of bringing in new businesses because it has a stigma to it that repels people. If it is to be legal then it should be outcall only and only allowed on or near the strip and not in places like Henderson.

i don't know about you, but i don't see Amsterdam having any problems with their world view. they have it all: red light, cafes, and a lower incidence of crime. And they have a bustling business economy.

Henderson is already licensing 'massage parlors' with their 'beautiful and attractive' staff. if you don't think that sexual acitivity is going on in these 'legit' places, you're turning a blind eye to what is so obvious. men running in and out of these places. like i believe that it's just a massage.

oh please. it's hypocritical, offensive and insulting.
these businesses are being taxed in a completely different tax bracket than if they were actually licensed for what they are....
a house of prostitution. that's money in the toilet...or rather, in the hands of pimps.

Last edited by justthe2ofus; 06-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If Nevada implements personal or corporate income tax, then I'm moving to Wyoming. That's not a threat; it's a fact. I'd be moving, along with my girlfriend, our business and four other family members.

Ours is not the only business that would leave - a corporate income tax would drive businesses - and residents - out of the state faster than you can imagine.

The schools here are BROKEN, not underfunded. Schools will ALWAYS say that they need more money - you can't just throw it at them and expect them to do a better job of educating kids.
Even the biggest anti tax states in the union have corporate income taxes. Even Texas which is supposed to the the number one state for corporations has such a tax although they call it a franchise fee. There is nothing wrong with that. If you do business here then you should help fund the needs of the state and schools here.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
i don't know about you, but i don't see Amsterdam having any problems with their world view. they have it all: red light, cafes, and a lower incidence of crime. And they have a bustling business economy.

Henderson is already licensing 'massage parlors' with their 'beautiful and attractive' staff. if you don't think that sexual acitivity is going on in these 'legit' places, you're turning a blind eye to what is so obvious. men running in and out of these places. like i believe that it's just a massage.

oh please. it's hypocritical, offensive and insulting.
these businesses are being taxed in a completely different tax bracket than if they were actually licensed for what they are....
a house of prostitution. that's money in the toilet...or rather, in the hands of pimps.
It doesn't bother me at all. I don't care if they put a brothel next door myself. I am just saying that it repels lots of people. If you have a business site and a business calls up Mayor Hafen and wants to come here and see the site and comes here and sees street walkers, brothels and other such stuff around where he wants to maybe put a national or regional headquarters, it is going to turn him off. As I said, on Las Vegas Blvd that kind of thing might be OK but not out here where we are trying really hard to bring in new types of businesses and companies. We need to tell these business people this is a family safe and family friendly place that your employees and executives would like to live and raise a family in BUT if you want to indulge in more adult things the strip is a few minutes away.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times
I do NOT believe there should be streetwalkers, or PIMPS

But controlled houses with regular medical checkups taxes etc are ok....no signage no redlites....

Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Even Texas which is supposed to the the number one state for corporations has such a tax although they call it a franchise fee.
That ranking includes all kinds of criteria - not just taxes. The tax burden is the number one issue when it comes to which state is best for me and my business. I'm not IBM, UPS or Boeing. We're a small shop that, due to the nature of our business, will never have enough employees to have to worry about unions, health care costs and all the other things that get weighed in that "Texas is #1" study. It's about taxes, pure and simple.

Quote:
If you do business here then you should help fund the needs of the state and schools here.
Isn't that what the property taxes, sales taxes, hotel taxes, gas taxes, taxes on my phone line (two taxes for the City of Las Vegas alone), etc. are for? I pay those and I don't complain. Why do you want to implement an income tax and drive me - and my family, and my business, and the dollars we spend here - away? 'Cuz that's exactly what'll happen, and I guarantee that I won't be the only one leaving.

In other words, that "you should do your part" BS is exactly that - BS. I *am* doing my part. More than a lot of people. How many jobs have YOU created in Nevada since the economy took a nose dive, Joe? How many vacant homes or offices have you leased since then? What are YOU contributing, besides feel-good rhetoric about letting the tax genie out of the bottle?

You have no idea what you're talking about, Joe. You think the economy's bad here now? Institute an income tax. Then you'll REALLY see the Vegas economy crumble.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 AM

241 posts, read 492,101 times
I moved to Vegas specifically because of its low-tax environment. I chose Vegas over other no-income tax locals like Miami because of the lower property taxes.

If Nevada passes an income tax, I'm out no question. But even if my property taxes go up substantially, I'm out. I can't complain about high-rise living on the strip, but high-rise living on South Beach is pretty tempting... Don't give me the excuse I need to leave, fellow Vegans.

Edit: Now to be constructive, if Nevada is last in education, why not use this opportunity to try something different? Let the free market have a go at the school system. We're already at the bottom right? Try it for 2 years and if it fails, go back to the current system. At the least, you'd create a lot of tax-paying jobs (currently, public school workers are a tax-drain.) The same goes for UNLV. There are plenty of successful private universities, why can't UNLV be one of them? It would instantly go from being a tax-burden to being a revenue generator.

Last edited by Atlas1337; 06-13-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM

203 posts, read 545,380 times
Quote:
Yes we all like the fact that this is a "no tax" state. No income, no corporate, no inventory, no inheritance and many other no taxes. But the fact is that we are going to have to do something about the sorry state our schools and UNLV are getting into. The budget cuts are really going to hurt education here and that is going to kill any chance we have of attracting new businesses here and diversifying the economy more. Yes businesses love low taxes but they hate lousy schools even more than they love low taxes. I say we need to raise taxes just a little here to make our schools better.

Ya know generally people like you are on some type of government assistance or government leaches. Because no hard working stiff is going to want to pay more in taxes. No the leaches of society are the ones that want higher taxes so that they may take more from the people who actually work.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 AM

203 posts, read 545,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So basically you are saying Asians are more intelligent than Hispanics. Sorry, but that is just plain racist to me.
Scientist from Harvard did a study on races in respect to intelligence called the bell curve in which Asian people ranked on top of the curve while Hispanic and black ranked at the bottom. You see the proof in our schools and in the workplace as Asians outperform other races. Now I’m not saying that Hispanics and blacks are inferior but science and data back up what these guys from Harvard where trying to show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas