Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times

Advertisements

I'd say the best of what's left are Binion's Ranch Steakhouse (but I haven't dined there since their remodel); Bob Taylor's Ranch House; The Golden Steer and Pamplemousse. I also hear locals rave about a place called Hush Puppy's on Nellis, but I've yet to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 AM

8,408 posts, read 4,570,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'd say the best of what's left are Binion's Ranch Steakhouse (but I haven't dined there since their remodel); Bob Taylor's Ranch House; The Golden Steer and Pamplemousse. I also hear locals rave about a place called Hush Puppy's on Nellis, but I've yet to try it.
Is that related to the Hush Puppy's on Charleston just West of Rainbow?

I've gone there a couple of times, pretty good. Huge parking lot for it's size.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Also, Lou's Diner used to be called Jo'ells (sp) and it's claim to fame was the chicken fried steak (huge steak and fries with gravy over both. Veggie, and a drink for $4)

In the same area, that weird drive-thru A-frame building that is now called Pops cheesesteak used to be the Wienie Bender. Small hamburgers, burritos, hotdogs all 25 cents each. $10 would fill a grocery bag!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,720,611 times
The Flame on the strip. Dunes Dome of the Sea, Andres downtown, Port Tack

Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
The Flame on the strip. Dunes Dome of the Sea, Andres downtown, Port Tack
And it's counterpart, across town, Starboard Tack.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Also, Lou's Diner used to be called Jo'ells (sp) and it's claim to fame was the chicken fried steak (huge steak and fries with gravy over both. Veggie, and a drink for $4)

In the same area, that weird drive-thru A-frame building that is now called Pops cheesesteak used to be the Wienie Bender. Small hamburgers, burritos, hotdogs all 25 cents each. $10 would fill a grocery bag!
Before that it was Der Weinerschnitzel....[all of that chain used the same A-Frame design with a red-orange roof]

I stopped into White Cross Drug [on Las Vegas Blvd] last week.....Tiffany's is still open [nothing else is] and I had a HUGE plate of spaghetti n meatballs....enough for three people

Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Before that it was Der Weinerschnitzel....[all of that chain used the same A-Frame design with a red-orange roof]
I've never understood that one. Weinerschnitzel is a pounded breaded veal cutlet. And this place sells hot dogs. Apparently the founders thought Americans were too ignorant to know which is which.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM

460 posts, read 987,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've never understood that one. Weinerschnitzel is a pounded breaded veal cutlet. And this place sells hot dogs. Apparently the founders thought Americans were too ignorant to know which is which.
History of the name, can be found here.

Basically, they thought it sounded better than "Johns's Hot Dogs".

Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post
Sounds like you are referring to 'Papa Bombaro's', not sure about the spelling. No menu, you ate what they had made that day, homemade wine and singing. It was quite an experience and still open into the 70s, I think. Legend had it that Sinatra ate there more than once.

Does anyone remember the 'El Burrito Cafe', on E. Fremont, the entrance was two steps down from street level. It was by far the best Mexican food in LV until the original cook (Trini) left; she then opened 'Guadalajara Restaurant' with her husband (Daniel) at Main and Owens. These two still stand as the finest Mexican restaurants ever in LV. El Cholo on LV blvd. was probably a distant third.
wow, a board that has been dead and buried 3 years ago suddenly pops back up. I bet there are a lot of the old time dining places gone...I can remember a few. One of our favorites was the dinner shows at the Union Plaza (not the Plaza). We also loved the Sunday brunch at Circus Circus steakhouse, I have heard it is gone as well.

Nita

Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
We lost The Tillerman and the Full Ho. Classic Vegas Steakhouse on the former and fabulous home-style Chinese in a Mom and Pop style on the latter. ( You had to laugh at the name of the Full Ho because obviously it meant something different in the native language than in the current venacular : )
There's a Vietnamese place here called A Dong (long A like in HAY). Non locals always ask you to repeat the name at least once. Great food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas