Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times

Advertisements

Raised in Southern California, moved to Upstate NY (big mistake). I have decided Vegas is the weather I want without all of the California laws (mostly gun laws).

So, I planned a trip to scout the area in August (when the weather is at it's worst). Can you tell me what areas would best fit what I am looking for, if such a place exist.

- less than an hour from the Strip.
- No HOA
- An acre of land or a little less (don't want neighbors on top of me).
-$250k max

I have been looking at Kyle Canyon and the far edge of Henderson based on what I have read here and wondering if there are any other areas I should be looking at.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
What part of Beautiful Upstate NY? As you found out the hard way...Upstate NY is probably the polar opposite of SoCal...in almost EVERY way (and we want it to be that way!) How did you end up in there?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
I am in Syracuse and the only thing beautiful about it is that it will make me REALLY appreciate being back on the West Coast. I came out here for a job opportunity and while I love my job, my quality of life has taken a nose dive.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Raised in Southern California, moved to Upstate NY (big mistake). I have decided Vegas is the weather I want without all of the California laws (mostly gun laws).

So, I planned a trip to scout the area in August (when the weather is at it's worst). Can you tell me what areas would best fit what I am looking for, if such a place exist.

- No HOA
-$250k max

I have been looking at Kyle Canyon and the far edge of Henderson based on what I have read here and wondering if there are any other areas I should be looking at.

Thank you.
I would suggest you settle for a half acre...you might get an acre but it will cut the selection by a fact of five or more.

You can get one all over the place including in the middle of the City. The area between Charleston and Sahara between Jones and Decatur has several such places.

You can find such places all over the outer part of the valley. Lone Mountain, NLV, the SW. SE part of Henderson. There are dozens.

It will likely have to be pretty old. 80s or earlier. The newer places will run over $250K. There are 8 or 10 with an acre. 40 or 50 with a half. Note that many are shorts.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,147 times
Check out Spring Valley, the areas between Rainbow and Durango, between Desert Inn and Sahara. Custom built homes with larger front and backyard. You can also check out the areas Rainbow and Durango, Sahara and Oakey.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,886 times
Good luck in your quest but upstate NYS is not Syracuse that is about the middle of the state. Yes!! Syracuse is the pits cold in the winter but not like up here in Plattsburgh ny. Gun laws are strict in NYS especially hand guns. We have 2 months of summer 8 months of winter and 2 months we do not know what to call them. High today 62 Yipes!! it is June???? I am sure you will not miss all of the taxes you pay in NYS also.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I would suggest you settle for a half acre...you might get an acre but it will cut the selection by a fact of five or more.

You can get one all over the place including in the middle of the City. The area between Charleston and Sahara between Jones and Decatur has several such places.
You can find such places all over the outer part of the valley. Lone Mountain, NLV, the SW. SE part of Henderson. There are dozens.

It will likely have to be pretty old. 80s or earlier. The newer places will run over $250K. There are 8 or 10 with an acre. 40 or 50 with a half. Note that many are shorts.
For $250,000 or less? Sign me up.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM

126 posts, read 269,215 times
Less than an HOUR from the strip? Heck, could even be looking out in the Primm area for that requirement. When i first started house hunting couple of years ago, did notice a few places in henderson with 1+ acres that seemed resonably priced. You didnt mention being able to smell the pig farms in your list, if that is something you are willing to tolerate.. might be some properties around that area up for sale.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
For $250,000 or less? Sign me up.
1948 concrete block on 1 acre...

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post

- No HOA
-$250k max

Thank you.
Hour from the Strip? Take a look at Mesquite, or the Overton/Logandale Metroplex. Nice and rural.

Overton, Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas