Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Willow Beach is good for trout and Stripped Bass, and you can fish from the shore. Just be careful ...you don't want your kid falling in that river, nor do you want a snakebite. Why I prefer to rent a boat.

Crappies used to be found mostly up around Overton Landing, but I don't know anymore. You can rent a small boat at some of the marinas. Stripped Bass move around so much in schools that people fish for them from boats mostly. They watch for the "broil" on the water which shows where they are feeding on Chad, so take a pair of binocs. Some people say to watch for the seagulls diving on the same spot. It only lasts a few minutes and then you start looking for more. But you can fish for them from shore in the coves. Normally you just have to be at the right cove at the right time, mostly early in the morning as the sun comes up.

I always thought that was too much trouble, so I prefer trout fishing. There is a hatchery near Willow Beach and they release trout there, so for some place to go that's not too far away, that's the best.

You can also go north to various small lakes. It's fun to camp in a tent over a weekend at many State Parks and have fresh trout for breakfast. About the closest is Beaver Dam Reservoir near Caliente. I prefer Cave Lake, near Ely; and near Pioche, is Eagle Valley Res., and Echo Canyon Res.

The biggest "trouts" I've ever caught were at Sunnyside, aka: Wayne Kirch Wildlife Management Area, and about three other akas as there are three (or is it four) lakes there. FisherDad: Cold Springs Reservoir - Wayne Kirch Wildlife Management Area - Sunnyside, NV

After fishing at either Willow Beach, or Sunnyside, you can go sit in a natural hot springs in cool weather.

Here's a site that will tell you everything you need to know. NDOW - Nevada Department of Wildlife

And I recommend ordering this booklet from them. I have a copy and it's very good info: NDOW - Licenses & Laws - Fishing Regulations

Buzz when is the last time you have been up North to Cave, Eagle Valley, Echo or even Breaver Creek. The water level was been so low and weedy in the last few years that I jus stopped going up there to fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Buzz when is the last time you have been up North to Cave, Eagle Valley, Echo or even Breaver Creek. The water level was been so low and weedy in the last few years that I jus stopped going up there to fish.
Been awhile, but I thought I saw where they got those problems fixed.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM

228 posts, read 718,710 times
I want to know, where can you fly fish around Vegas? Utah? I've always wanted to try it.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM

147 posts, read 409,564 times
Article on fishing in the Henderson Press

Fly Fishing on Lake Las Vegas

Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM

You can fly fish just about anywhere there is water and fish. Too much work for me, and I'd be constantly getting caught in trees, etc. I took fly fishing lessons but never used what I learned. It would be nice if you could wade out into the ponds at Tule Springs to fly fish, but they won't let you, even though that's where one of my lessons was held.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times
One of the LV Fly Fishing clubs meest monthy on a Sunday at Willow Beach and gives free lesons.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM

228 posts, read 718,710 times
Cool, so I don't need to drive to Utah, I can do it from LV. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
WHY would anyone want to fish for FLIES?????

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Here's a good way to bond with the boys..If you don't catch anything stop at the store and buy some fish and have mom cook them up for you.. Just tell them this is our secret..They will remember it for years and you probably won't get ratted out until you are enjoying your grand kids..my pops did that and that was a side joke we had for years..The only problem is my mother knew it..We bought the fish she always bought from the grocery store..She just let us have our moment..

Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here's a good way to bond with the boys..If you don't catch anything stop at the store and buy some fish and have mom cook them up for you.. Just tell them this is our secret..They will remember it for years and you probably won't get ratted out until you are enjoying your grand kids..my pops did that and that was a side joke we had for years..The only problem is my mother knew it..We bought the fish she always bought from the grocery store..She just let us have our moment..
It was probably the package with the old fisherman on it, and the breaded fillets inside that gave it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas