Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times

Advertisements

Don't waste the money. Instead, waste it on a home CCTV system so when you do get burglarized, you will at least have some evidence to show the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Don't waste the money. Instead, waste it on a home CCTV system so when you do get burglarized, you will at least have some evidence to show the police.
I have insurance for belongings, once they are stolen I don't want them back. Personally I'm concerned about protecting people and pets only. Cameras make a good deterrent though and the latest ones make pretty cool toys. Their ability to be viewed live on your phone and capture video based on motion triggers (then email, send you an alert to live view, etc.) has me installing a full system because I'm a nerd.

If you want evidence though, make sure that your CCTV system is uploading to a remote server. Also, don't forget to secure your modem/router in a secure spot with a battery backup and that you have a camera setup to view where your power and/or internet and/or telephone lines are likely to be cut. Lower resolution cameras are fine for motion triggers and close views, but you may want to consider high res in places where you want to capture a license plate or something more detailed.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
The problem I've been running into is that ADT keeps buying the companies I sign up with. I wind up stuck with ADT regardless of who I sign up with. It has happened to me twice. ADT is not my favorite company. I suppose that their service is OK, but their prices are high and I was really put off when they charged me a double payment when they bought out my last alarm company because the billing cycles were different.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM

930 posts, read 1,817,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
Where did you get this info from? Any reference perhaps?

On the other hand, the unarmed ADT guy isn't going to risk his life for your property either...? So when he calls the cops for you, it still would be the same result?
well, you may not have to personally talk the the police, but the alarm company has to call you to verify that the alarm going off wasnt a "false alarm", before being dispatched. but if your lying on the floor bleeding out, I dont see how that's going to help you. the alarm company will go down a list of phone numbers that you supply to try to contact you or a relative or neighbor you provide the numbers for. by the time it may be verified that an alarm is legitimate, it may be too late.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
well, you may not have to personally talk the the police, but the alarm company has to call you to verify that the alarm going off wasnt a "false alarm", before being dispatched. but if your lying on the floor bleeding out, I dont see how that's going to help you. the alarm company will go down a list of phone numbers that you supply to try to contact you or a relative or neighbor you provide the numbers for. by the time it may be verified that an alarm is legitimate, it may be too late.
All true, but the same goes for any alarm system. I would get an alarm system for theft deterrent, basically to not come back after a business trip and find the house turned upside down. For personal protection, dogs or guns would be the way to go.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three1oh View Post
hey,

this board has been great in helping me settle in on my recent move to vegas. my new home has an alarm built in, it looks kind of old, but it should still work fine. Need to get a monthly monitor company and i guess have someone come out to make sure the alarm is ok and that zones are set up where i want them to be.

Anyone have some recommendations for a good and honest company with affordable monthly rates?

thanks again!
Be careful about who you choose. It would be better if you paid upfront for the system and not sign a contract. Most alarm companies are more criminal than the people they want to keep out of your house. If you do sign a contract, read it very very carefully. Many of them say the alarm company can raise the price anytime they want and you just have to suck it up. Others will tell you that their rate is $14 a month but the contract will say that is only for the first 6 months of a 5 year contract and after 6 months you have to pay the real rate of $35 a month. Another thing they do is put in what they call a sneak renewal in which the contract automatically renews unless you send them a written letter by certified mail during a certain few days before the contract expires.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Alarms only let you know someone broke in. Most thieves know they can be in and out with a few quick items to sell for drugs before anyone can respond.

Better to put a Strike Master on the door and security film on the windows to keep them out.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 PM

154 posts, read 357,183 times
Having been a victim of a break in (quiet) and rape by a total stranger that went on for several hours, on top of terrorizing my children, I have never been particularly worried about someone coming and slamming through a door loudly and stealing "stuff". My concern is to discourage a would be assailant. He would be less inclined to approach a home with monitored alarms vs nothing, hence I always have one anywhere I live, including our Las Vegas home. DM me for the name of the company I use there. I have been with them for over a year with no fee hikes and have been treated with complete respect.

Last edited by Heyygirl; 06-15-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Be careful about who you choose. Most alarm companies are more criminal than the people they want to keep out of your house. I.
yeah, and I would also suspect those minimum wage "security agents" they send to verify alarm if they cant get in touch with you. my paranoid nature is asking what would stop one of those guys from going to your house after an alarm went off and break in themselves to steal your stuff and then blaming it on the supposed robber that tripped the alarm in the first place?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
Having been a victim of a break in (quiet) and rape by a total stranger that went on for several hours, on top of terrorizing my children, I have never been particularly worried about someone coming and slamming through a door loudly and stealing "stuff". My concern is to discourage a would be assailant. He would be less inclined to approach a home with monitored alarms vs nothing, hence I always have one anywhere I live, including our Las Vegas home. DM me for the name of the company I use there. I have been with them for over a year with no fee hikes and have been treated with complete respect.
Actually just a fake security sign in the yard works just as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas