U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 PM

15 posts, read 158,886 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a relocation to one of the Las Vegas area suburbs or neighborhoods (we live near Boston), but I have a bit of an unusual problem: a fear of snakes that defies description! Here in the northeast, we only see the occasional little garter snake, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. Do residents of the Vegas suburbs frequently find snakes on their property, particularly big ones or rattlers?

Also, having really only dealt with hurricanes (none in last 15 years or so) and snow, we haven't had much experience with tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. Any of those occur much in the Vegas suburbs?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 35,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea1269 View Post
My wife and I are considering a relocation to one of the Las Vegas area suburbs or neighborhoods (we live near Boston), but I have a bit of an unusual problem: a fear of snakes that defies description! Here in the northeast, we only see the occasional little garter snake, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. Do residents of the Vegas suburbs frequently find snakes on their property, particularly big ones or rattlers?

Also, having really only dealt with hurricanes (none in last 15 years or so) and snow, we haven't had much experience with tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. Any of those occur much in the Vegas suburbs?
I have never seen a snake in Las Vegas. My dog and I often roam the outskirts of the NW toward the Spring Mountains. We (or one of us) often chases rabbits and ground squirrels and we occassionally see a coyote or a tortoise. But no snakes.

There are some there...but it is rare to see one if not looking for them.

Nevada is the safest place in the US for natural disasters. Hurricanes don't reach, Tornadoes don't reach. Any flooding is local. And earthquarkes are rare.

We offer no guarantee against being hit by a meteorite...but you need a little risk to add spice to your life.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 AM

49 posts, read 382,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I have never seen a snake in Las Vegas. My dog and I often roam the outskirts of the NW toward the Spring Mountains. We (or one of us) often chases rabbits and ground squirrels and we occassionally see a coyote or a tortoise. But no snakes.

There are some there...but it is rare to see one if not looking for them.

Nevada is the safest place in the US for natural disasters. Hurricanes don't reach, Tornadoes don't reach. Any flooding is local. And earthquarkes are rare.

We offer no guarantee against being hit by a meteorite...but you need a little risk to add spice to your life.

Same here

Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM

109 posts, read 512,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

LOL, nice sense of humor!!,

I used to work for a major retail Company fixing high end TV's, once I went to fix a tv in henderson in a very cool place, to my suprise I found the problem with the set: A medium size scorpion toasted in side the set!!, but thats all I have seen so far.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,170,847 times
i've only seen a rattle snake once in NV, it was along the Colorado River near Hoover Dam on a hike from a rafting trip, other than that never saw one near the city...

Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 AM

10,423 posts, read 23,860,837 times
I have yet to see a snake, but I keep looking.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:03 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,443,721 times
I lived in Vegas almost 10 years and never once saw a snake...

Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM

13,818 posts, read 26,907,640 times
Copperheads...senior citizens who hoard the penny slots.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM

15,370 posts, read 37,061,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea1269 View Post

45 years and no snakes.....except for one guy that walks Fremont Street in a "ZOOT SUIT" I reallllly suspect him

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,356,611 times
First of all, what you call suburbs back there don't exist in Las Vegas. We have contiguous housing projects. What they do is create a different, Pretty much always walled in, group of three or four house designs every square mile or so. Las Vegas is one, big, open, flat, urban area. The only trees here are the ones that people brought from some place where trees actually grow naturally. Trees don't often grow naturally in the desert except in the very rare oasis where you might find a couple of cottonwoods. You have more critters because you have hills, woods, and streams; and rain and snow and mosquitoes and fleas. We aren't bothered by all that stuff. It's the desert. It's open. You can see forever. It's miles and miles of miles and miles. We don't have rain, fog, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, California mud slides (no hills to build on), blizzards, forest fires, swarms of locusts, rats, raccoons, squirrels, or herds of wild animals; also no things that bite, sting, or fly around in your face other than the occasional fly or bee. That's why you're moving here. It's pleasant, convenient, easy living, without all the inconveniences of the east (or any other place in this country for that matter). The streets are not paved with gold but there is lots of gold around here, both in the ground and in people's pockets.

I remember a boy being bitten by a buzz-worm (rattlesnake) about 40 years ago in his back yard. His back yard was at that time on the edge of the desert in what is now called Green Valley. There now no good places for a self respecting snake to live. Remember, a snake would have to have a food supply and the chipmunks and pocket mice have all been kicked out of their homes by us desert rats, and we're too big to eat.

I have seen rattlesnakes at Lake Mead, and at Mt. Charleston, but it's been years. Never in town.

I completely understand your fear. I had it for about the first 40 years of my life. Then I became educated about the outdoors and wildlife such as snakes and my fear went away. I'd suggest confronting your fears and learning all you can about them too. That which we fear we become, that which we resist will persist.

Here is a tip concerning snakes. Snakes know what is edible. You ain't. They are only loaded for one shot at that mouse or rabbit they've been stalking. They aren't about to waste their only shot on you if they can help it. They will also avoid being stepped on by large animals (like us) in any way they can. You have, I guarantee, walked past many a hiding snake and didn't know it. But he was camouflaged and staying safely out of your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: