Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM

136 posts, read 276,790 times

Advertisements

I was just at the vet today and they told me to wait until I got to Las Vegas to see what types of vaccines are necessary out there besides the standard distemper and rabies. Here in MN, you can get Lepto and a Lyme vaccine. The vet said that it's possible those may not be recommended out there (Lyme=mosquito, don't think that's a problem!). Also, they weren't sure about taking preventative heartworm meds either (again, mosquito).

Can anyone tell me if any of those listed above are prevalent in Las Vegas? What are the normal vaccines that your pet gets? Anything they might get there that I wouldn't get here in MN?

Thanks!

Last edited by mntonv; 06-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,773 times
Lyme disease comes from ticks. Heart worm comes from mosquito's. You don't have to worry about either. Just about all the other diseases can be transmitted from dog to dog to my knowledge.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM

136 posts, read 276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Lyme disease comes from ticks.
You're right! I knew that. Just typed the wrong thing! Duh! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntonv View Post
I was just at the vet today and they told me to wait until I got to Las Vegas to see what types of vaccines are necessary out there besides the standard distemper and rabies. Here in MN, you can get Lepto and a Lyme vaccine. The vet said that it's possible those may not be recommended out there (Lyme=mosquito, don't think that's a problem!). Also, they weren't sure about taking preventative heartworm meds either (again, mosquito).

Can anyone tell me if any of those listed above are prevalent in Las Vegas? What are the normal vaccines that your pet gets? Anything they might get there that I wouldn't get here in MN?

Thanks!
Distemper, lepto and parvo along with rabies are the standard fare. Rabies is required by law. Parvo is very important as that canine disease is very contagious.

Unless traveling with your fur babies to pine country upstate or out of state, heartworm meds, flea meds and lyme disease preventatives are not necessary nor required.

Last edited by MomMom; 06-10-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Except that lately I've been finding mosquitoes in the house when the back door is left open. Not many, but how many does it take? I'm afraid that with all the foreclosures there are a lot of pools that are breeding mosquitoes. I don't know if all mosquitoes cause heartworms, but I'm starting to worry. At least fleas are still not a problem. Ticks are in them thar hills though, so if you're a hiker you'll want to examine your dogs after a hike in the mountains, especially further up north of Las Vegas.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Except that lately I've been finding mosquitoes in the house when the back door is left open. Not many, but how many does it take? I'm afraid that with all the foreclosures there are a lot of pools that are breeding mosquitoes. I don't know if all mosquitoes cause heartworms, but I'm starting to worry. At least fleas are still not a problem. Ticks are in them thar hills though, so if you're a hiker you'll want to examine your dogs after a hike in the mountains, especially further up north of Las Vegas.
My dog is current on heartworm medicine because we lived in Utah and I didn't think about stopping when we came out here.

I'll just play it safe and keep it up, $50 bucks per year for the brand name or $32 for generic from 1-800-Petmeds. This way I can take her hiking or visit Utah without worrying.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
My dog is current on heartworm medicine because we lived in Utah and I didn't think about stopping when we came out here.

I'll just play it safe and keep it up, $50 bucks per year for the brand name or $32 for generic from 1-800-Petmeds. This way I can take her hiking or visit Utah without worrying.
You may want to reconsider. The medication itself is actually very hard on their liver and kidneys. Unless needed, it is much healthier for the dog to go without.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned. The mosquito needs to draw blood from an infected animal. Since there's slim to no infected dogs running around, it's really a non issue. If the mosquito population grew out of control though all it would take is someone transporting in an infected dog from out of state to get bit. With the temps rising towards 100 degrees I think we'll see any stragglers dying off despite sitting water in places.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

33 posts, read 62,177 times
Actually, Las Vegas/NV laws only require that your dog have rabies. If you board your dogs or enroll them in training classes, then each facility will have their own vaccination requirements.

Lepto is typically transmitted through contact with infected urine (usually of wildlife of some sort, not necessarily other dogs). Google "leptospirosis vaccine protocol" and you'll quickly see the debates re: not only lepto vaccines for dogs, but many other dog vaccinations as well. Lyme's is especially controversial since it's the same vaccination that was removed from the human market.

The latitude of Las Vegas laws allow you to choose for yourself what vaccinations and prevention plans are best for your dog. There is not, however, much latitude about having your dog intact, so you should read up on the specifics of that law if your dog is intact. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,714 times
Most people don't have their dogs on heartworm meds out here, but dogs do get heartworm out here. My wife probably sees one case every month or two, not much, but it does happen. Costs over $1,000 to treat (depending on how quickly it is caught, usually is caught late out here) and is fatal if not treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas