Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM

40 posts, read 102,538 times

Advertisements

Moving to Spring Valley area very soon. Can any locals tell us the pros/cons of this area? We think we've done our homework re crime & see most of Spring Valley is somewhere in the middle of yellow/orange on the crime maps and green/yellow'ish on Trulia. We liked the parks in Spring Valley & felt some touch of an older 'small town' feel when we got there. Although the crime stats makes us nervous, we've read most of OleCapt's posts re LV being not the best place but certainly not the worst place in the world & see LV is now 17th on the stolen car rating scale...down from number 1 and violent crime not the highest in the nation. Yeah! We'll be on the west side, near Spring Valley Pkwy & Rainbow. Any streets/things we should steer clear of?? 'Gotta try' best restaurants? Community volunteer programs? We'd like to make this area our permanent home.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom & experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,281 times
YO! your in my hood, you better watch out cause I may have to put a cap in your ass.
(oops that's my Brooklyn neighborhood! Attitude!)

HOWDY NEIGHBOR! And welcome to Spring Valley!!
I am on west Flamingo and Duneville!
I love the area, it really has a quiet, suburbia feel to it, still being close to everything!
89103 is surrounded by crime, but our pocket seems to have less of it
Use common sense, have a little luck and you should be fine!

Jonathan

Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Howdy MacGeek! Thanks for the kind welcome Yes, we're excited about the move.........we'll use common sense & I'm sure be just fine. Live in a sleepy beach town now in CA, so the change will be huge but hopefully good.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom64 View Post
Moving to Spring Valley area very soon. Can any locals tell us the pros/cons of this area? We think we've done our homework re crime & see most of Spring Valley is somewhere in the middle of yellow/orange on the crime maps and green/yellow'ish on Trulia. We liked the parks in Spring Valley & felt some touch of an older 'small town' feel when we got there. Although the crime stats makes us nervous, we've read most of OleCapt's posts re LV being not the best place but certainly not the worst place in the world & see LV is now 17th on the stolen car rating scale...down from number 1 and violent crime not the highest in the nation. Yeah! We'll be on the west side, near Spring Valley Pkwy & Rainbow. Any streets/things we should steer clear of?? 'Gotta try' best restaurants? Community volunteer programs? We'd like to make this area our permanent home.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom & experience!
You've got some of the best Asian stores in the valley, right near your new place, you got a real nice Mexican restaurant and Wally World, Applebees, Sam's Club and a ton of other stores/shopping at the intersection of Spring Mountain Road and Rainbow.

You should be fine with your area, like Macgeek says, use common sense when it comes to safety and security, Spring Valley is a older, more established area with a lot of conveniences very close by.

High desert, big city living is a lot different than your sleepy beach town thats for sure...much good luck with your move and the house!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks for your post MomMom....we LOVE Mexican food, so can't wait to try that restaurant.......... We're ready for the big change to the desert/big city living. The beach life has been great but can no longer afford (or lets say....no longer WANT to afford it anymore). We're tired of the financial pressure of having to have a substantial income just to pay the mortgage and put a little food on the table! There is more to life!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 AM

848 posts, read 1,723,897 times
There is something in the area that made you feel comfortable to the point of relocating out of CA and perhaps making a real estate purchase in NV. The area is definitely convenient to the Strip so goodluck with your move.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
i didn't buy in that area but i love it. i am always cruzing around that part of town... its just a hop skip and a jump away from all the fun.

while still maintaining a normal neighborhood atmosphere.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 AM

390 posts, read 379,554 times
I am in Spring Valley off Flamingo and Tenaya. We love our little cul-de-sac but you have to be careful. The neighborhood can vary literally from block to block. But as some others said Spring Valley has great parks, some good eats, and shopping.

We love it.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. I read on another thread about when living in LV never leaving your garage door open, always locking the door between the garage/house, always keeping your front door locked, etc.....I guess all the normal precautions, so that's what we'll do. Here in CA, we open the garage door up in the a.m. & pretty much leave it open all day....and sit in the house with the front door open to get the breeze.... we'll be sad to lose that kind of "never worry about it" attitude, that's for sure.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom64 View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I read on another thread about when living in LV never leaving your garage door open, always locking the door between the garage/house, always keeping your front door locked, etc.....I guess all the normal precautions, so that's what we'll do. Here in CA, we open the garage door up in the a.m. & pretty much leave it open all day....and sit in the house with the front door open to get the breeze.... we'll be sad to lose that kind of "never worry about it" attitude, that's for sure.
take all that with a grain of salt. Practically the different between suburban SoCA and suburban Las Vegas is zilch. The crime rate in Henderson is the same as the crime rate in Irvine. If you live in downtown Anaheim you are more cautious than in Ocean Side or San Juan Capistrano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas