Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times

Advertisements

Don't assume that because you get a new home that you won't have issues. Many older homes have been renovated with better materials than any new home. Also, homes built during the boom of the past 5-10 years often have problems due to rushed building and overall hastiness/cheapness.

Your concern over your personal freedom in regards to what you can do to/around your home leads me to believe that you do not want an HOA governing your property. Their primary purpose is to protect property values, but many people find them to be overwhelming and restrict freedoms. They have almost unlimited power to levy fines and even place liens on your home.

There are available homes build recently that do not have HOAs but they are few and far between.

Park Twain - your last post is rife with racist generalizations and overall untruths. How absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 04:10 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
A generalization based on what you might believe to be too small a sample size is not 'racist.' Please choose your words more carefully.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
I didn't call you a racist, but your generalization that involved race most certainly was.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Default HOAs

Housing since the mid 90s and HOAs go together. Many of the cities will not allow a development to proceed without one. NLV and Clark County may be more permissive but only a few lack an HOA.

As soon as you see gates or external landscaping or an internal park or a swimming pool you have an HOA. Even many small developments in the NW where you have four houses on a cul-de-sac have an HOA. Sometimes it is disguised as a well agreement.

I would guess it will cut your choices by 80% or so if you wish a newer home and no HOA.

HOAs vary from rigid and difficult to easy and cooperative.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 16,381 times
I guess that explains why it has been so hard for me to find housing without HOA's. Does anyone know which areas are less strict and a little more lenient? I am mostly concerned about the number of pets in one home and open to any suggestions. ~ Thanks again

Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesocal View Post
I guess that explains why it has been so hard for me to find housing without HOA's. Does anyone know which areas are less strict and a little more lenient? I am mostly concerned about the number of pets in one home and open to any suggestions. ~ Thanks again
Stay away from condos...virtually all restrict number and weight. Most likely place to find a newer home with few restrictions is the north and NW. Anyplace horse zoned will generally allow anything on the pet side.

On higher priced houses it is generally easy to avoid pet restrictions. As the tract gets denser and less expensive than tend to have more pet restricitions.

I lost my first RE deal...a double...over three chihuahuas in a two dog community.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesocal View Post

Maybe Pahrump, west of Las Vegas, is the place for you! See the recent news about the troubles of a Pahrump cat lover!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 16,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Stay away from condos...virtually all restrict number and weight. Most likely place to find a newer home with few restrictions is the north and NW. Anyplace horse zoned will generally allow anything on the pet side.

On higher priced houses it is generally easy to avoid pet restrictions. As the tract gets denser and less expensive than tend to have more pet restricitions.

I lost my first RE deal...a double...over three chihuahuas in a two dog community.

How can I tell which places are horse zoned? I am just stressing out because I have 8 Yorkies and I'm not willing to get rid of any of them. So I'm trying to find a house in a neighborhood that will accept them all.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
The only thing youd have to worry about in any neighborhood would be to have all 8 of your yorkies barking at the same time. That would drive anyone nuts.
I hate to say it, but most HOA's only allow up to 3 pets. Or is that a clark county thing? I can't remember.
I'd say your best bet would be for olecapt to find you a home.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 PM

Yes, "Pahrump" is an Indian word for "much dogs barking after midnight."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas