U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 PM

697 posts, read 3,169,793 times

Advertisements

Sorry for all of the questions, but I have one more that I cannot find the answer to anywhere. I am looking at a 1000-1300 sqaure foot house and am wondering what I can expect for a utility payment each month. I will most likely pay for gas and electric. Maybe have to pay for water and sewer too. Here in Cheyenne, our rates are some of the highest in the country and rising every time our corrupt mayor allows city council to approve Cheyenne Light Fuel and Power to raise rates again (300% in the past 4 years). I have heard that the proximity to the Hoover Dam contributes to relatively low rates. Is this true? Thanks again for your help and sorry for the annoying questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 PM

10,429 posts, read 23,980,337 times
It all depends on who you are and what you like. I conserve like crazy and in the summer my electric bills are around $200 max in july and august. Its under $100 the rest of the year. I also have a 1600 sf 2 story home.
Gas is super cheap. Make sure you get a home with gas heat and gas cooking. My highest gas bill in the winter is around $40.
I don't know what water goes for, as the HOA pays it where i live. The same for trash.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,209,472 times
its only 20 a month for water, at our house, because we don't have a lawn and barely water the desert landscaping

i think its 60 dollars a quarter for trash, our HOA provided us with a trash can so we don't have to rent it...

gas is not that expensive

Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,769,939 times
My power bill for last month was $250. Thats the highest I've had sincemoving into our new home last year. The recent rate hike drove that up a bit I was expecting it to be around $200-$220. House sq footage is 2400 and thats with 2 ac units. My water bills about $25 a month, but that includes sewer (henderson). Trash like "kid" said about $60 a quater. My gas bill is slightly higher then previous poster, last bill was $50. Thats with 3 adults and a child. My mom has a small 1000 sg foot home and her power bill hasent been over $100 in years, and she hardly pays anything for gas & water.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM

697 posts, read 3,169,793 times
Well thanks all. That sounds great. My power bill here in Cheyenne is about 120 in the summer and up to 200 in the winter (we had 40 below this winter with a 60 mile an hour wind) and I don't ever run the AC. My gas bill has been as high as 100 too. So my car insurance and utilities will ber cheaper in Las Vegas, this is sounding better all the time.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 78,431 times
my power bill is under 100 in the winter and 300 the last 2 months, but i rin the AC all day every day

i have a 2200 ft 2 story house

Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM

16 posts, read 77,383 times
I would say that your utilities will vary drastically from summer to winter. If you live in an older house or condo that is not energy efficient, you can expect to pay higher. However, if you buy new, they are almost all energy star efficient- we have a 1900 sq ft single story built in 2006 and my dear hubby insists on keeping the air at 72 (78 is the recommended). Our highest bill to date was last month (July) at 179 - I would also point out that we just found out our ac was not working properly and had it repaired last week... could have been some of the reason for that bill. Your bills will be insanely cheap in the winter because almost every house in las vegas/henderson has gas heating. If I remember correctly our highest bill last winter was about 60-70. Not sure where cheyenne is, but are you sure your car insurance will be cheaper? Nevada is one of the top 5 highest priced car insurance (or so I was told when I moved here)... Mine more than doubled when I moved... Other than that, I hope you love it here, I moved here 5 years ago have not once regretted moving here.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM

211 posts, read 964,523 times
Nevada Power also adds in fees for the people who dont pay their bills, so they get passed on to you

Either that or it is just straight extorsion

There is no way in hell my electric bill should come to about $180 a month when I live in a small 1 BR apartment, keep my thermostat on around 78 and am extremly energy efficient when it comes to everything else(leave lights off, turn computer off when not in use), I am either paying for the people who dont pay their bills, or I am getting straight up ripped off

Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 36,106,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
Nevada Power also adds in fees for the people who dont pay their bills, so they get passed on to you

There is no way in hell my electric bill should come to about $180 a month when I live in a small 1 BR apartment, keep my thermostat on around 78 and am extremly energy efficient when it comes to everything else(leave lights off, turn computer off when not in use), I am either paying for the people who dont pay their bills, or I am getting straight up ripped off
You can check it. Turn off everything inside and see if your meter stops. If it don't...

Try it again at night. It has turned out more than once that some tenant was runniing the outside lights.

$180 is high for a small one bedroom even in an old building.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post

Presently, I too am holed-up in a 1br older apt. Last month mine was $202. You just have to bite the bullet for 3-4 months. My bill the rest of the year is usually about $40, so the average year round is probably around $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>