Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 AM

40 posts, read 102,520 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything re good/bad area/crime stats/etc for the area around Racetrack & Warm Springs??? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom64 View Post
Anyone know anything re good/bad area/crime stats/etc for the area around Racetrack & Warm Springs??? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Very old Henderson zip. Can't be too good anymore.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 AM

89015 zip in comparison to Spring Valley 89103 area as far as crime stats? It is so hard to figure these out. If you go by entire zip code or certain websites, you get a skewed view. Just wondered if any locals could tell us anything about this particular area of 89015 (Racetrack & Warm Springs area). We are looking at houses around that area & Spring Valley area. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Generally the highest crime in Las Vegas is in the older parts of town. As neighborhoods age, cost of housing gets cheaper, and the low lifes start moving in. If one cannot afford anything better, then Spring Valley and old Henderson are OK, especially the in the area of Racetrack and Warm Springs. But if you can afford a better place, then Summerlin, and/or all the newer parts of town are where you want to be for less crime, more pride of ownership, and more community amenities. I have friends in very old parts of Las Vegas that have been there for 50 years, and they're happy. I wasted a lot of money I wish I still had trading up, and I'm not happy. But I'm happier than I would be in 89103 or 89015, and especially 89110 where my first house is. But there are few parts of Las Vegas that are really all that bad. Not like Detroit or D.C., or the state of New Jersey, or something like that for sure.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 AM

848 posts, read 1,723,676 times
Hahahaha Spring Valley has many newer and older neighborhoods that are great neighborhoods and neighborhoods that are comparable if not better than the suppossedly nicer areas in Clark County.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
We live in that area in the custom homes and we've never had any issue with crime.

The biggest problem IMO with the area is the schools are not that great. The elementary school (Sewell), while it gets a medium greatschools score and has good reviews, serves primarily lower income students. The middle school (Brown) gets terrible ratings almost all the way around and the high school sucks too. You have other options, private school, magnet schools, etc. but that is something to keep in mind.

The surrounding area isn't great, lots of section 8 and low income, especially towards Lake Mead. That said, I've lived here for almost 10 years and never had an issue.

It's a bargain if you want a custom home on a larger lot, easily the cheapest area in Henderson for that since the home prices have been hit hard in this area. Much cheaper than Mission Hills and even Section 27 is quite a bit more expensive.

If I was looking for a track home, I would stay away unless your budget is just rock bottom. My sister used to live in River Landings in the area and the prices have just become so cheap that some of those neighborhoods seem to be really going downhill with the new wave homeowners buying in the area.

If you tell me more specifically what area you're looking at, I can give you better info. Generally speaking, the further east you can get from Pueblo, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom64 View Post

Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much for the info WestieJeff. We were specifically looking at the driving through the neighborhoods off Racetrack & Days End. It seemed like a quiet area. 89015 gets a bad rap for the zip as a whole but that area looked ok. We took a right on Racetrack (from Warm Springs) and just drove through the neighborhoods from there. I remember driving past a large community center/park somewhere down a ways on Racetrack..maybe Burkholder?? Can't remember... We read on here, lots of crime...bad bad bad...but it looked pretty new....new shopping, etc. We definitely saw the older sections off Warm Springs, Boulder too.... Kids are all grown so no worries re school (thank goodness).

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM

39 posts, read 141,127 times
I live by the Senior Center and Pool Complex in the track housing around there for about 4 years now. There is not much crime at all over here and feel pretty safe. A lot of houses being foreclosed on, but the neighborhoods are not going downhill. A lot of the houses in this area are newer. Been very satisfied with the area.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info Nanski. Sounds like exactly what we're looking for....a nice quiet place to hang our hats and live peacefully ....appreciate the info!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Does anyone know what this area is called?? I mean the area around Racetrack/Warm Springs??? I see people mention areas like Whitney Ranch, Anthem, etc... Does this area have a name??? Just curious........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas