Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times

Advertisements

And if used correctly an FED can return the property legally to the owner and keep the tenant out of a tarnished credit. The longer they sit the more they owe, it does become a cycle.
I have been able to shake hands more often than not after a court date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Yes, the rent is due on the 1st of every month, late after 3 days.
How am I in the wrong?
Should I give her 30 days before she's late? Hell, why not just let her live there for free?
I wish I could tell my mortgage company that.
I'm on your side. Why should their financial disaster turn into your financial disaster?
I assume when you became a landlord you didn't plan on running a charity.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Again though this is a BK. Anything that goes down is part of the BK.

In a BK basically all debts that were in place on the BK date are into the estate...rent due is an unsecured debt in that estate.

The security deposit however may be an asset of the estate and may have to be turned over to the court. Depends on the language in the lease.

Note that any rent due after the BK date is an admin charge and gets paid with the highest priority.

A tenant can void the lease immediately after a BK.

And watch out for back payments in the 90 days prior to a BK...a trustee can require that money to be returned to the estate.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 AM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Again though this is a BK. Anything that goes down is part of the BK.

In a BK basically all debts that were in place on the BK date are into the estate...rent due is an unsecured debt in that estate.

The security deposit however may be an asset of the estate and may have to be turned over to the court. Depends on the language in the lease.

Note that any rent due after the BK date is an admin charge and gets paid with the highest priority.

A tenant can void the lease immediately after a BK.

And watch out for back payments in the 90 days prior to a BK...a trustee can require that money to be returned to the estate.
All the more reasons to get this tenant out and cut the snowballing losses.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
There is a line where compassion becomes stupidity, and too much of anything is bad, But the OP has been stating that this person who up to this point has been current with her rent, and she was 8 days late and he already was filing papers to have her evicted, is nothing more then cold, and heartless.

I would say more about my opinion of the OP, but I would be breaking TOS (again!)

Jonathan

Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
All the more reasons to get this tenant out and cut the snowballing losses.
Not clear that any action against the tenant is available. If the tenant filed BK on or after July 1 the rent due was folded into the BK and all collection and eviction actions were stayed. So the LL is stuck until 1 August. If the BK was filed before 7/1 then an immediate eviction for non payment would be in order.

I agree that compassion in such a situation is likely suicidal for the LL.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
If the OP comes back maybe he can tell us what type of notification he received from this lawyer or is it a trustee?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,982 times
have the tenant evicted...i'm sure they will start defaulting on rent once that happens you can get them out...

The best thing to do is BUY them out...make a deal with them to move out by the end of the month and upon you confirming the are out hand them a check for the months rent....Make sure you are at the unit to change the locks and make sure everything is out...

They will be motivated not to fight you as they are in a desperate situation the money will help them move on and at the end of the day it will still be way cheaper then going through the courts to get them out.

Frank

Old 07-10-2011, 02:44 PM

322 posts, read 565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
There is a line where compassion becomes stupidity, and too much of anything is bad, But the OP has been stating that this person who up to this point has been current with her rent, and she was 8 days late and he already was filing papers to have her evicted, is nothing more then cold, and heartless.

I would say more about my opinion of the OP, but I would be breaking TOS (again!)

Jonathan
I would not be too quick to judge and jump to conclusions. There is no way for us to know all the details from only a few brief posts.

For example, what if it is known by the LL that she recently developed a drug problem, which caused her to lose her job, she will have no ability to pay in the future, doesn't even have any intention of ever trying pay anything moving forward, and is deliberately using the legal system to her advantage to get a free ride for as long as she can, while maybe the LL is struggling financially himself? Past payment performance becomes virtually meaningless because so much has recently changed. I would be largely on the LL's side.

In contrast, if it appeared likely she would be able to stay current financially moving forward and has every intention of doing so, and simply fell on a temporary unforeseeable hard time, then I would agree more with your premature conclusion.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,982 times
The tenants problems are NOT the landlords problems..........PERIOD.
Unfortunately I have been around the block with being a Landlord and Compassion is definitely viewed as weakness by tenants in survival mode.....

I usually wait till the 2nd to say they are late and give them to the 15th before i start taking legal action...

Thanks for your input

Frank

Last edited by Frankfromcanada; 07-10-2011 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: added to post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: