Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 15,270 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share my story with you all about my poor experience at the Pavilions at Providence. I'm a USAF vet and I'm going back to Afghanistan for a contractor job as an engineer. I have to pay 3 additional months of rent and the apartments will not let me off my lease for deploying to Afghanistan to serve my country as a civilian.

1. when i first was talking to the apartments, they said I get to waive a deposit since I work with the military as a contractor. I said I'm not active duty, but they said it's okay just so I can sign a 1 year lease with them.

2. The apartments are nice and things are going well until I get a new contract in afghanistan.

3. I try to get out of my lease and use my military status, but they said discounts only apply to active duty. I wish they told me that sooner. Now I'm stuck with 3 additional months of rent to pay even though I'm not living at the apartment.

4. In addition of paying rent, I have to pay sewer and water bills, and anything that is not cleaned spotless in the apartment. If the apartment is not the same as when I moved in, they hire outside contractors to clean and charge me on that rate. They are making my experience as expensive as possible.

Conclusion: They offer discounts for Vets to get you to sign, but if you try to break a lease, ur screwed. Things would not be a problem if you are active duty, but if you are a vet and are doing contracting work for the military, please be careful and don't pay 3 months worth of addional rent and other retroactive fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM

412 posts, read 912,566 times
All this should be in writing. It's important to read the contract and not rely on anything verbal and also not assume anything. I would not expect to be let out of a lease as a civilian contractor unless it was put in writing in the lease. At least it's 3 months and not 11.

Maybe your employer could look at paying off leases as a benefit.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,750,325 times
I would report it to the base Housing office at Nellis. Judging by these reviews the management of this complex appears to have a history of abusing military families...

The Pavilions at Providence Las Vegas, NV, 89166 - YP.com

Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,346,134 times
Will they let you sublet it for the remaining 3 months? Will they waive some things or let you out of the lease if it's re-rented before the lease expires?

Please, now you were in the AF for how many years and you don't know that you have to read your paperwork? Come on now don't let this happen again or it's a smoking you'll get on the tarmac, airman.

Stay safe. And thanks.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,344,359 times
sounds to me that you are upset for not reading your contract correctly. If none of this is stated in your contract then they are not wrong you are. maybe you should try and sublet the place for the 3 months or ask if you can leave for afganistan later.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM

You guys are right. I'm definately angry for not reading the contract clearly. Oh well. Lesson learned and 3 grand lost.

I just don't like the staff. They are condecending and it seems like they are happy to see me lose money on the lease contract, like they get a bonus for screwing people. Very snake like women working in the office. They are very friendly before you sign up, but once they got you, your bound to their tight grip. Good salesmenship on their part, but poor support and authentic care for military vets and people serving in war zones. I don't care if I'm not active duty, I have to wear a kevlar and flak vest and support the direct fight with advanced engineering support. I'd like to see those ladies work a real-time counter terror mission and then see how it feels like to screw vets over.

I'm not worried about the money. Once I start working in Afghanistan, I will be able to pay that money back in 1 weeks worth. It's the principle that counts. Don't offer me a military deal when I sign up, then take away my military status when I leave.

Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 AM

In addition, this place is getting more ghetto since I first moved in. The place looks nice and everything is new, but residents are getting louder and drunker. There was at least 2 times where the police came to the complex for drug busts. People act drunk at the pool and keep you up all night. Last night there was a ghetto drunk guy with baggy pants and no shirt walking in the parking lot and scaring the residents. Random teenagers knocked on my door looking for some hoodlum and asking me if I've seen a short hispanic kid with a red bandana.

I'm glad I'm leaving this place now. The cheap rent for relatively new apartments are nice, but in a year a less, I won't be surprised to see graffiti on the walls, and cars getting broken into. This is a "gated" community, but you still won't feel safe inside the gates.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM

11,142 posts, read 15,911,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebagofdonuts View Post
I'm not worried about the money. Once I start working in Afghanistan, I will be able to pay that money back in 1 weeks worth. It's the principle that counts. Don't offer me a military deal when I sign up, then take away my military status when I leave.
Okay, I'm about to take an unpopular position.

It is about the principle. And you're trying to abuse it.

From what I can gather from your posts, the landlord is respectful of servicemen and allows our brave men and women serving in the military to cancel their lease without penalty if they are transferred.

You, on the other hand, are a civilian looking to get out of your lease because you found a job that pays good money in another location. In that respect, you are no different from anyone else looking to break a lease for the same reason. The fact that you are a veteran is irrelevant.

And let's be perfectly frank here:

You are not going to Afghanistan for some sort of altruistic reason such as serving your country. You are going there because the contractor is going to pay you a shtload of money to do so. You basically stated so yourself when you noted that you'll make back the $3k in a week.

I see no reason whatsoever for the apartment complex to allow you to abbrogate your lease.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,061,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebagofdonuts View Post
In addition, this place is getting more ghetto since I first moved in. The place looks nice and everything is new, but residents are getting louder and drunker. There was at least 2 times where the police came to the complex for drug busts. People act drunk at the pool and keep you up all night. Last night there was a ghetto drunk guy with baggy pants and no shirt walking in the parking lot and scaring the residents. Random teenagers knocked on my door looking for some hoodlum and asking me if I've seen a short hispanic kid with a red bandana.

I'm glad I'm leaving this place now. The cheap rent for relatively new apartments are nice, but in a year a less, I won't be surprised to see graffiti on the walls, and cars getting broken into. This is a "gated" community, but you still won't feel safe inside the gates.
I was about to make a suggestion but on second thought I will keep it to myself.

The gratuitous slam of the place was uncalled for. Almost certainly sour grapes.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Okay, I'm about to take an unpopular position.

It is about the principle. And you're trying to abuse it.

From what I can gather from your posts, the landlord is respectful of servicemen and allows our brave men and women serving in the military to cancel their lease without penalty if they are transferred.

You, on the other hand, are a civilian looking to get out of your lease because you found a job that pays good money in another location. In that respect, you are no different from anyone else looking to break a lease for the same reason. The fact that you are a veteran is irrelevant.

And let's be perfectly frank here:

You are not going to Afghanistan for some sort of altruistic reason such as serving your country. You are going there because the contractor is going to pay you a shtload of money to do so. You basically stated so yourself when you noted that you'll make back the $3k in a week.

I see no reason whatsoever for the apartment complex to allow you to abbrogate your lease.
From what I read at other apartment website reviews, other active duty members have had trouble with the staff here at this apartment.

Whether you are active, reserve, or civilian... you have a mission to accomplish a difficult task in Afghanistan. You are right and some people go there to make money, but some of us actually love our job and the purpose of what we are doing. It's not my decision on on how much a company offers me to compensate for my duty. As an engineer, how often do you get to use the technologies the military utilizes at CENTCOM? At Nellis AFB, you can't even get funding for the cool toys they have out there.

We all have our level of patriotism to our country and you can't really measure and judge other people on how much they have. For all you know, some famous general can be doing it for the glory, while the true patriot is some kid scrubbing toilets.

I'm not going to argue this anymore and you can believe what you want. I already told you my reasons, and you can take it or leave it. I'm not going to judge why you or your friends are serving overseas. Maybe it's for the job security, maybe its for money, maybe its for a pension, or maybe you just love it. It's not my call to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas