Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 AM

719 posts, read 1,477,236 times

Advertisements

So I am looking at Craiglist for rooms for rent because I want to land in Las Vegas and take a month or two to decide where to live. I don't want to do the sight unseen thing. Anyway, I am seriously considering the Siegel suites but also check daily for rooms people are renting in their homes.
So I see this on someone's ad.

"Please have a job, no credit check, hell, who cares anymore?"

Wow, is that a testament to what the recession has done to America, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM

270 posts, read 533,373 times
Hmmm? I just rented a place in LV two weeks ago and a full credit history and check was done. Letter of employment was required as well. I guess it depends on where your renting...?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,448,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
So I am looking at Craiglist for rooms for rent because I want to land in Las Vegas and take a month or two to decide where to live. I don't want to do the sight unseen thing. Anyway, I am seriously considering the Siegel suites but also check daily for rooms people are renting in their homes.
So I see this on someone's ad.

"Please have a job, no credit check, hell, who cares anymore?"

Wow, is that a testament to what the recession has done to America, or what?
Having the job to pay for your room, how many want to stay here in town with no job and live rent free, now that's the American Dream.

The credit check...oh, I'm sure people who advertise rooms/apts to rent have seen new credit score lows..300's maybe and the inevitable bankruptcy too.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM

699 posts, read 2,211,741 times
it is a testament to the fact that hundreds of thousands in the valley have been affected by bad credit, and a lot of those people have lost their houses to the mortgage mess.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,448,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
it is a testament to the fact that hundreds of thousands in the valley have been affected by bad credit, and a lot of those people have lost their houses to the mortgage mess.
Ummm yes, and that's why when you need to use credit and you have a great credit score and a history of using credit responsibly...you are treated very nicely indeed ....and never will be turned away from any place or anything where a good score and credit history are required

Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post

That is what I thought when I read it too. It is a sad state of affairs indeed.

Last edited by SouthernSarah; 07-13-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM

579 posts, read 1,206,754 times
A prospective tenet could come here to rent from me and have an 800 credit score.... but scores don't pay the rent. They don't guarantee employment, they prove nothing to me, other than this person hasn't srewed up ......yet.....and I may be the first they happen to screw. Half the homeowners that walked from their mortgages had great scores and were thereby NOT deemed a risk, yet they walked. I'll take a tenet with a job that covers the rent and a good past rental history with positve landlord notes every time. Every homeowner that lost their house to foreclosure is looking to rent. Sure they have dinged credit. They've gotta rent from someone. That's an awful huge market to be avoiding. At most I'd asked for increased rental deposit, security and stuff like that. I've had friends that offered to pay 6 months up front because unfortunately, since they had been owners and not renters, they didn't have the rental references.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM

839 posts, read 2,410,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
A prospective tenet could come here to rent from me and have an 800 credit score.... but scores don't pay the rent. They don't guarantee employment, they prove nothing to me, other than this person hasn't srewed up ......yet.....and I may be the first they happen to screw. Half the homeowners that walked from their mortgages had great scores and were thereby NOT deemed a risk, yet they walked. I'll take a tenet with a job that covers the rent and a good past rental history with positve landlord notes every time. Every homeowner that lost their house to foreclosure is looking to rent. Sure they have dinged credit. They've gotta rent from someone. That's an awful huge market to be avoiding. At most I'd asked for increased rental deposit, security and stuff like that. I've had friends that offered to pay 6 months up front because unfortunately, since they had been owners and not renters, they didn't have the rental references.
Yeah, I have two rental properties. I have one occupied by a couple with pretty dang good credit 700+ and the other, well, let's not go there...

The irony is the guy with awful credit pays rent consistantly on time month after month. About the only time he ever calls me for anything is he wanted to put up some vertical blinds in the living room and was asking permission. The reason his credit is crappola is due to having been laid off/out of work for about a year before he found anything. He still managed to pay his rent though.

The couple with a good credit score? Constant pain in the ahem, buttocks..... Stuff is always mysteriously breaking, it seems as though they are constantly in some kind of dispute with the neighbors, etc... Basically whiners and complainers who I suspect simply want out of their lease.......

So, to me, rental history is more important than credit score....

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM

699 posts, read 2,211,741 times
happy and mommom both have good points,.

now look at it from the perspective of someone who foreclosed: they see a valley with
more rentals than ever in history. if one LL denies, the next LL will take them. so many
fish in the sea.

it's kind of all relative.

money talks.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM

The recession destroyed my credit. Well, that and a layoff because I was the "highest paid reporter in the company" so they could either let me go or two younger reporters go. Anyhow, I agree, my poor credit has no bearing on whether or not I pay the rent on time. I have a job, a good rental history and landlord references and anyone who doesn't take that as enough will just have to figure out down the road that I would have been a great tenant. The reason I showed you all the quote from CL was because I find it heartbreaking that so many people have been so hurt by the recession, that the words, "Hell, who cares anymore" speaks volumes about the state of the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas