Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Yes I certainly agree with you. I have never owned a credit card. Is that strange? I'm not old as a lot of people on these boards but not in my 20's either.

I've never really had a problem getting credit but need co-signers. I have a house now so hopefully I'll be ok. I used a VA loan to buy the house, most people think that this means I am automatically approved or something. They still run your credit.
They do A LOT to approve one for for a VA loan so you certainly must have had all your ducks in a row for that. Good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I saw that on Craigslist It looks great. I hope there are similar options when I get there in Oct. A friend from this forum has offered to take photos of yards, homes etc that I am considering and email me the photos. That is a a Godsend as I know nothing of what areas in Henderson are good vs bad.
He will be able to drive there and tell me if it is a good idea to rent the unit.
Ideally, I will find a place before I get there (thanks to my his offer of photos etc) and simply send the money and land there.
However, I do have concerns about foreclosures so I will check the property record office by phone or computer for each property I consider. Thanks for your advice and helpful suggestions. I feel better about it now.
I always discourage folks from renting sight unseen. Take a little time to look around in person, and don't be in such a hurry.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
I've rented twice---once many years ago before becoming a homeowner and now again, after selling my home in NJ and renting a place in Vegas. Both times, a thorough credit history was taken and my credit was checked. Of everyone of I know who has rented, none have a story like yours; they have all had their credit checked and needed a fairly clean history to be approved. Now, these are generally condo and complex rentals, not renting a room or home from an individual, so maybe that would be different.

In this age however, with prospective employers running credit checks, it is unlikely that a potential landlord would not consider doing the same.

I don't know what to tell you buddy, and unsure what story you are talking about. I did not tell a story. Are you talking about me not using credit? I don't use credit nearly as much as some people do, I've never owned a CC. Some car rentals won't rent me a car because of that. But... get ready... some do!

Did you see the long list of houses I listed that don't require credit checks? Why is this hard for people to believe that you can get a house without having your credit checked? I'm honestly a little confused as to why some people think this is untrue.

I think it may be true that most places run credit, this was the sole reason the OP is asking about it, because she knows it will narrow her options.

But yes, people rent homes without credit all the time. In fact according to a 2009 survey many landlords have lowered their credit standards to fit the times.

Source: http://www.rent.com/press-room/media...-infoflash.pdf

I think mostly a landlord cares about your rental history but that is just my opinion. What is a fact is:

There are many places that rent without checking your credit!!!

See I knew people were going to call me a liar :P

Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times
Quote:
I don't know what to tell you buddy, and unsure what story you are talking about. I did not tell a story. Are you talking about me not using credit? I don't use credit nearly as much as some people do, I've never owned a CC. Some car rentals won't rent me a car because of that. But... get ready... some do!

Did you see the long list of houses I listed that don't require credit checks? Why is this hard for people to believe that you can get a house without having your credit checked? I'm honestly a little confused as to why some people think this is untrue.

I think it may be true that most places run credit, this was the sole reason the OP is asking about it, because she knows it will narrow her options.

But yes, people rent homes without credit all the time. In fact according to a 2009 survey many landlords have lowered their credit standards to fit the times.

I think mostly a landlord cares about your rental history but that is just my opinion. What is a fact is:

I agree with your entire post.... well except the liar part. You aren't lying. Private landlords rent without credit checks all over the country. I already knew this and was just trying to find out how many private landlord rentals are available in the area. Thanks for all your help. You are telling the truth. I think those arguing with you have only dealt with corporate owned apartments and condos or houses managed by real estate companies. You and I are speaking of private landlords with one or two houses to rent out. We are on the same page.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I agree with your entire post.... well except the liar part. You aren't lying. Private landlords rent without credit checks all over the country. I already knew this and was just trying to find out how many private landlord rentals are available in the area. Thanks for all your help. You are telling the truth. I think those arguing with you have only dealt with corporate owned apartments and condos or houses managed by real estate companies. You and I are speaking of private landlords with one or two houses to rent out. We are on the same page.
Yeah it's as if they have only seen something done one way so they don't think it can be done another way. I wonder if he saw the list of home rentals I made? Oh well, I feel like a dummy for even responding honestly. I need to just ignore that sort of thing in the future. I think what they really mean is that most places check your credit. But we already knew this :P

Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM

270 posts, read 535,006 times
Quote:

Ummm....never called you a liar. I was simply posting my personal experience, as you did. Is that okay? We have had experience with whether a landlord or bank runs a credit check. I am female, but "buddy" is ok I guess. Also, I'm not talking about credit cards per say; they are only a small part of the idea of a credit check. Those who've never had a credit card can still have a credit history run on them, of course.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Ummm....never called you a liar. I was simply posting my personal experience, as you did. Is that okay? We have had experience with whether a landlord or bank runs a credit check. I am female, but "buddy" is ok I guess. Also, I'm not talking about credit cards per say; they are only a small part of the idea of a credit check. Those who've never had a credit card can still have a credit history run on them, of course.

Oh I am sorry I did not mean any insult. I was just trying to be funny.

You are correct in saying that most landlords check credit history. That's absolutely true. Every apartment I ever rented ran credit checks.

These days I would almost want to run the credit of my landlord to make sure he pays his/her bills though :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas