Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
You're wrong about it being in NLV is the problem. Faulty premise. It's in the north part of Las Vegas, not to be confused with NLV. I know this confuses the hell out of newbies :P

I've have seen maps as well that show Nellis AFB being in NLV. They're wrong. Metro patrols that area not NLV.

I don't keep up with the official zones but if it's east of LVB it's in Las Vegas. I can understand the mass confusion since the NLV symbol is a stealth and the NLV courthouse and all that is technically on the east side of LVB. There is even a sign that says you are in NLV. Well if you take take Nellis BLV north there are no such signs telling you that you are in NLV.
Nope. It is in the unincorporated county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Did you not read my post? The answer is no.

It's because of this little guy right here

NRS280.123(5)

"Upon merger, the most liberal employee benefits which have been negotiated by the respective employee organizations of the law enforcement agencies of the participating political subdivisions shall be the benefits applicable to the employees of the department."

See NLV public workers make a lot of money. If you merged they'd have to pay ALL clark county employees the rate that they pay NLV. So for example a NLV police officer makes more money than metro so you'd have to pay all of metro the rate that NLV officers get paid. This is the most important reason why it will never happen.
That won't be a problem. It applies to law enforcement agencies. NLV is not paid any better than Metro I don't believe.

And note that any merger will require a statutory base. That provides an opportunity to fix all such details.

Why not simply take over the state government and run it for the primary benefit of Clark County. We hold a vast majority in the legislature.

The rub of course is we need to get rid of the southern Republicans who back up the northern cabal...or develop a strain of Repubs that strongly favor the south. It is absurd that we cannot control the state legislature with 70% of the population.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope. It is in the unincorporated county.

Well now if you want to split hairs, most the people on these boards don't live in Vegas either.

I used to live across from Nellis AFB and we refer to it as Las Vegas and never unincorporated Clark county. I grew up in Spring Valley, so technically I'm not really from Vegas.

The major point of emphasis though is that it is not in NLV. Nellis AFB itself however is very large. I assume someone asking means specifically the contonment area off Nellis and LVB but if you wanted to be a real smarty pants, part of Nellis likely is in NLV as they have many ranges out that way.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:36 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
That won't be a problem. It applies to law enforcement agencies. NLV is not paid any better than Metro I don't believe.

And note that any merger will require a statutory base. That provides an opportunity to fix all such details.

Why not simply take over the state government and run it for the primary benefit of Clark County. We hold a vast majority in the legislature.

The rub of course is we need to get rid of the southern Republicans who back up the northern cabal...or develop a strain of Repubs that strongly favor the south. It is absurd that we cannot control the state legislature with 70% of the population.

I think NLV makes more but maybe I am wrong. I don't have a source. We need to find that out. Even if Metro makes more we'd have to pay the guys who patrol NLV more. I don't know why I sound like I don't want to pay the police, they probably deserve it.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Well now if you want to split hairs, most the people on these boards don't live in Vegas either.

I used to live across from Nellis AFB and we refer to it as Las Vegas and never unincorporated Clark county. I grew up in Spring Valley, so technically I'm not really from Vegas.

The major point of emphasis though is that it is not in NLV. Nellis AFB itself however is very large. I assume someone asking means specifically the contonment area off Nellis and LVB but if you wanted to be a real smarty pants, part of Nellis likely is in NLV as they have many ranges out that way.
Come on. It is a hair splitting discussion about geographic minutiae.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM

232 posts, read 496,109 times
Good argument. From my understanding you wouldn't hate a merger? As long as taxes dint increase. I think it'd be good to have one Las Vegas pd. Along with public services like street maintenance should all be combined. I think it would help continue expansion as well. But the problem is state power and the conservatives?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
It is absurd that we cannot control the state legislature with 70% of the population.
Hear, hear!

What grinds my gears the most is that these Northern Ninnyhammers have the gall to try and lecture US about financial responsibility.

That's like the lone mooch at a table of friends in a restaurant. He's getting a free meal and chastising the people who pay the bill that they need to save more money.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 PM

232 posts, read 496,109 times
What is a statutory base?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM

21 posts, read 54,577 times
Default Nellis

I work on the Base. And have a Post Office Box on base. And the address is listed as Las Vegas.

Also when the Cops show up on base or at the Gate. Its Las Vegas Police Dept. Not NLV.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Nevada is very much state run. Nothing happens anywhere without the state passing enabling statutes. We have nothing resembling home rule. Every government body is a direct creature of statute.

So to merge all of Clark County into a single entity will require a new NRS section defining how it happens. While we are there we might also want to take the schools back...CCSD is basically a state agency as is the Health Dept and other things.

Or we might simply want to take over the state and run Clark County from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas