Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM

266 posts, read 605,419 times

Advertisements

Just this last week, I have noticed a considerable amount of ants everywhere! Upstairs in sinks, downstairs in bathrooms, garage...just everywhere. Don't know what is attracting them, because our home is spotless, no food left out, and pet food kept sealed. My neighbor just told me he had this problem as well, and he is OCD about cleanliness. Going to call an exterminator if the Raid doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem? First time in 16 years have I seen such a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,575,625 times
Ants have their mating flights this time of year and especially after it rains. You're probably noticing queen ants meandering into your house looking to make a nest. They are not being attracted to your house nor do you need an exterminator. They will simply leave of their own volition when they notice your house isn't where they want to nest.

Also for anyone wondering, ants are actually extremely clean insects. Nothing like cockroaches. In fact, ants are more ocd about cleaning themselves than people and actually keep millions of other pest insects in check.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Yes, ants are amazing little creatures. I admire how diligently they work together building their little ant homes...and I would never purposely step on an ant hill (I make sure those around me don't either!). You really have to marvel at how much work actually goes into building one. I feel especially guilty spraying around them, although I try not to aim directly at them...I do find a few casualties I am hoping they will go away soon...

Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,494,932 times
We have spent the last 3 summers in Las Vegas renting different vacation homes and have had the ant problem in each one. We were told they are looking for water.
Anyway, if it helps, we put out the little ant trap motels near wherever the ants appeared and that seemed to get the problem under control. Not completely but enough where it wasn't a problem.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
We were told they are looking for water.
I will put little bowls of water outside for them

Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,575,625 times
Yeah if they are little tiny ones they are likely worker ants coming in for moisture/food. If they are larger than normal and with large gasters (butts) or have wings they are almost certainly queen ants scurrying into your house by mistake. With the recent rains and ants ability to dig down to a level where there's moisture outside it is unlikely they are coming in for water. Best plan is to always keep food in containers and counters clean.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,252,146 times
We had an invasion of the little buggers through the Master Bath 10 or 12 years ago. At the suggestion of a neighbor we adopted a simple tactic. We fed them I think sugar or something. We then waited a day or two and traced back the column of workers to the entry point. We then calked it. They then found another - we calked it. After a week no more ants. And not even one little body got whacked...unless the cats got a few.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,318,403 times
I've been dealing with ants again for the last month. Tiny ones, medium ones and big ones. I do have a covered container on the floor with an opening for them to go into at the bottom, that has grape jelly and boric acid powder*. I used less this time from the Bug Bully's directions that less is more. A tiny bit kills them all, so there is enough in it this time to do the job, but less than I used to use.
First it attracts tons, then less, then less, etc. They take it back to their nest, they all eat it and die.

The other alternative is peppermint oil mixed with water. Get a medium size spray bottle, with water, and add a few teaspoons of peppermint oil. Peppermint extract you buy in the spice section of the stores works, as it is peppermint oil. Ants will NOT go where that is sprayed. It is nontoxic, and you don't have to worry about that stinky Raid which is harmful to humans and pets.

We are also doing the caulking thing, going around to ALL the tiny little cracks around the floor in the kitchen. This time the ants aren't coming out of just one hole like before, they seem to be everywhere. Although right now, there are a heck of a lot less. Soon, we hope to be ant free.

*boric acid powder-You can buy it at Walmart or Home Depot.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM

399 posts, read 695,263 times
I had a single rose in a small vase on the fireplace mantle. I started to notice ants near the fireplace. I killed them for two days before I notice the vase had dozens of ants on it so I assumed it was the water. I dumped the water...no more ants. I also chaulked around the garage door entrance where I think they were coming in. I was surprised a little water could be so attractive.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,398,075 times
Spraying them does very little good. You have to give them something that they will take back to the hive that will kill the queen. The ones you see and kill will be replaced quickly and they will do what they want to do. Usually in the house they are looking for water though. Different ants are attracted to different things so you've got to find out what the will pack away to their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas