Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,711 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My girlfriend and i are considering buying a house in Summerlin, we will not be there full time so we were wondering how safe it is from burglaries and theft. We really like the Desert Shores area so that is one option and we also found some interesting options in the area between North Durango Dr and Buffalo Dr to the north of West Cheyenne Av. If anyone could let us know how secure are these areas especially as we would only be there about 6 months a year. Thanks in advance.

Davie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviebtipp View Post
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and i are considering buying a house in Summerlin, we will not be there full time so we were wondering how safe it is from burglaries and theft. We really like the Desert Shores area so that is one option and we also found some interesting options in the area between North Durango Dr and Buffalo Dr to the north of West Cheyenne Av. If anyone could let us know how secure are these areas especially as we would only be there about 6 months a year. Thanks in advance.

Davie
6 months is an OK window, 12 months would be better. Look for a huge knockback on higher value homes next year.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

Davie
A gated community and a good alarm should mostly take care of it. Stay off of golf courses and away from walls. If you want to go all the way invest in Rolladens.

There are places that would work fine in both Summerlin and Desert Shores. The Raquet Club or Spinnaker Cove or a half dozen others in Desert Shores would work. There are likely two dozen places in Summerlin that would also work. And there are a couple of nice gated communities just to the south of Desert Shores in Summerlin that would also work.

Tuscany and Reflections north of Cheyenne would also be good choices. Reflections is very stable.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
6 months is an OK window, 12 months would be better. Look for a huge knockback on higher value homes next year.
Silliness. There is no set of indications that the higher end homes will get hit harder. Many tend to appeal to newcomers or retirees who have money to cover.

The high end of Sun City for instance went up much less than the norm in Las Vegas...and they have come back down a lot less.

The high end of newer Summerlin took a real beating early on but has moved little in the last year. Another example was Silverstone in the NW. Just a disaster in the early period of the collapse. Now it is hard to find anything there, And it is very difficult to impossible to find units there rentable at a reasonable return.

I think you are strictly smoking pot. The whole place may yet drop a few percent but the more expensive homes move with or less than the smaller ones.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,319 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and i are considering buying a house in Summerlin, we will not be there full time so we were wondering how safe it is from burglaries and theft.
The safest protection from financial loss due to theft is a good insurance policy. Or build your entire house 25 feet underground (link).

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Tuscany and Reflections north of Cheyenne would also be good choices. Reflections is very stable.
Isn't Vernazza Court (N. Summerlin) where J-Ready's posse had their crib?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I think you are strictly smoking pot. The whole place may yet drop a few percent but the more expensive homes move with or less than the smaller ones.
A "few percent" of $750K is greater than a "few percent" of $150K, right?

BTW, never inhaled (or had sex with a woman named Monica).

Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
A "few percent" of $750K is greater than a "few percent" of $150K, right?

BTW, never inhaled (or had sex with a woman named Monica).
Nope. A few percent is the same percentage of either.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Nope. A few percent is the same percentage of either.
Are you sure you're not the one smokin' the lettuce?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you're not the one smokin' the lettuce?
Why don't we let the OP have his thread back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: