Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoo View Post
I just moved two months ago to a gated hoa community and I love it so far. It's a first for me to even know of a hoa. So far it's good. But than it's only been two months.
Grow a single 5 inch tall weed next to your porch, then get back to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:11 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
RJ has a story on a poll on the satisfaction of people living in HOAs.

Basically says something over 75% is reasonably happy with the HOA. Perhaps better stated as not unhappy.

Poll commissioned by RMI who is clearly pro HOA. But it also coincides with my experience.

Survey shows general satisfaction with HOAs - Business - ReviewJournal.com
I am happy with mine. They don't bother people over little stuff and they keep up the pools and tennis courts. They also help keep trashy owners and renters out of here.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
As long as the weed is medical marijuana, you should be OK

Old 07-31-2011, 12:41 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Just move to a community where the HOA itself, not the homeowner, is responsible for mowing the grass, pulling weeds, and taking care of the landscaping. Problem solved; or more accurately, problem avoided.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:59 PM

135 posts, read 438,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I am happy with mine. They don't bother people over little stuff and they keep up the pools and tennis courts. They also help keep trashy owners and renters out of here.
Not all renters are "trashy" - some of us have moved a significant distance and decided to rent in the neighborhood first to see if it really is where we want to buy, rather than buy then find we're stuck in a neighborhood that doesn't suit us. How do you know who is a potential home owner and who isn't?

Last edited by TPC2; 07-31-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: to correct spelling

Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Give it time. After they try to control your life your mind will change.
They don't control your life. They control your behavior in how it affects others.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:03 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC2 View Post
Not all renters are "trashy" - some of us have moved a significant distance and decided to rent in the neighborhood first to see if it really is where we want to buy, rather than buy then find we're stuck in a neighborhood that doesn't suit us. How do you know who is a potential home owner and who isn't?
You don't and it doesn't really matter as long as you are not one of the "trashy" ones. (Poster did say trashy homeowners AND renters) And those exist all over. Difference is the HOA will not tolerate it for very long. That is a positive.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:18 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
after living in a condo for almost a year, my HOA does absolutely nothing, despite legitimate complaints about my downstairs neighbors who:

routinely, meaning everyday, leaves their trash in little grocery bags outside their front door, bringing ants, flies, and the birds dragging trash all over the place

routinely park their car right in front of their garage, under the sign that reads, "don't park here per HOA law #xxyz"

we were told when we called to complain about the trash, that we must complain in writing, and after exhausting all verbal/written notices to the owner of the unit, maybe, just maybe something can be done.

we rent. they rent.

we're outta here in 30 days.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
routinely, meaning everyday, leaves their trash in little grocery bags outside their front door, bringing ants, flies, and the birds dragging trash all over the place
routinely park their car right in front of their garage, under the sign that reads, "don't park here per HOA law #xxyz"
I cannot deal with those kinds of neighbors. Renters or homeowners that believe the rules do not apply to them and they do whatever they want regardless of how it impacts others are a pain.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC2 View Post
I know not ALL of them are trashy and some owners ARE trashy but it has been my experience that more often it is renters that bring a neighborhood down than owners. What you end up with if you don't have a good HOA is hordes of investors come into a development and scoop up everything they can buy in hopes of selling for a profit later on. They fill the place with renters during the time they are holding the property and they usually don't give a hoot about who they rent to or what the people do. They just want somebody to cover the mortgage and insurance payments until they can sell the place. I don't have anything against renters but at least here the HOA holds owners responsible for them which tends to keep speculators at bay because they don't want to pay big fines for what their tenants do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas