Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm at my wits end.

Every couple months, the manifolds (x2) for my drip system fail. (This is the part that is wired to the controller. Sometimes it's the solenoid, sometimes it's the valve.)

BUT IT ALWAYS FAILS IN THE CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED OPEN POSITION.

I learn about the problem, when I come home to the CENSORED Zambezi River, flowing from my house, down the street.

This last time, it happened while I was in Utah for four days. That'll be another $400 water bill.

CENSORED!

Anyone got a line on drip manifolds that fail safe? How about manifolds that aren't complete pieces of CENSORED CENSORED?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Are you talkin' about what I think you're talkin' about?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
OK, I'm at my wits end.

Every couple months, the manifolds (x2) for my drip system fail. (This is the part that is wired to the controller. Sometimes it's the solenoid, sometimes it's the valve.)

BUT IT ALWAYS FAILS IN THE CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED OPEN POSITION.

I learn about the problem, when I come home to the CENSORED Zambezi River, flowing from my house, down the street.

This last time, it happened while I was in Utah for four days. That'll be another $400 water bill.

CENSORED!

Anyone got a line on drip manifolds that fail safe? How about manifolds that aren't complete pieces of CENSORED CENSORED?
Makes no sense unless you have very high water pressure or something. If it is well above 50psi think about a regulator valve.

If nothing else works put a solenoid valve in to feed the two manifolds. They you will need two failures to get water flowing to the street.

Most systems can turn on two valves at once. If not add a second controller.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Are you talkin' about what I think you're talkin' about?
Oh...I thought he was talking about something else.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Makes no sense unless you have very high water pressure or something. If it is well above 50psi think about a regulator valve.

If nothing else works put a solenoid valve in to feed the two manifolds. They you will need two failures to get water flowing to the street.

Most systems can turn on two valves at once. If not add a second controller.
My water pressure is the same as everyone elses in the neighborhood. I just seem to go through solenoids and valves faster than anyone.

I'm almost at the point of calling a landscape company. I'm sick of digging in the dirt mucking around with the drip system.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My water pressure is the same as everyone elses in the neighborhood. I just seem to go through solenoids and valves faster than anyone.

I'm almost at the point of calling a landscape company. I'm sick of digging in the dirt mucking around with the drip system.
More "code' words.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Post the exact type of valve that you have. Some standard valves will not shut off reliably with the low flow rates on a drip system. The idiot that installed the system that I used to have used a standard Hunter PGV valve and it did not shut off reliably, dumping 53k gallons of water into my side yard one month. Current landscaping, installed by a company that seems competent, uses Rainbird low-flow valves.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
And one more...you should have a filter on the main feed to the sprinkler system.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And one more...you should have a filter on the main feed to the sprinkler system.
Yes...a trojan-brand filter.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Scoop wins for the weirdest post of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas