Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times

Advertisements

Kikiman,

Welcome to the West. You are absolutely right, this ain't Boston. Neither is Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver or any number of cities in the Western half of this country. If you like Boston and want to live in Boston, by all means, GO TO BOSTON! The only city I've been to in the Western half of the country that might equate to Boston is San Francisco. When I lived in Los Angeles, I had no idea what the names of my neighbors were. When I lived in Missouri, we knew everyone on the street. It's just the car culture of the West, it depersonalizes everyone.

Jobs are hard to come by anywhere right now, but didn't you look at the unemployment rates here before moving? If you had read anything at all on this forum, you would have seen multiple posts telling people not to move here without a job.

As for this city ruining your marriage...trust me, if your marriage is on the rocks, Las Vegas is the least of your problems. Get a grip, for God's sake. If anything is ruining your marriage it is probably YOU.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikiman View Post
This city with this type of people is not for me, actually I have never experienced anything like it. I need to save my marriage and my family before isn't too late. I just hope that other people don't make a same mistake that I did. Boston city is a 5 star hotel compared to this place. The thing I find that I hate most about Vegas is the transient nature of everyone here. There are very little locals, by that I mean born here. So most everyone here is from somewhere else and with that comes cultural isolation. There is NO sense of community. Everyone lives in their own little cave of security and knows only a handful of people, usually from their place of employment. Neighbors don't talk to each other. Nobody says "hello" to strangers. And this sense of isolation keeps people from giving a **** about each other and this leads to crime, neighborhood degradation, etc. It's ugly here, and this town has really nothing to offer.
I dont care for the Vegas bashing very much but this is a pretty acurate statement. Im from Savannah, GA and I could never walk down any of my old streets without everyone speaking to say "hello" "Hey" "whats up" "Whats going on?"or to ask "How was my day". It was almost annoying but I got used to it. Here in Vegas I run a couple of miles every other morning in several connecting neighborhoods and rarely ever get a head nod. Even from the people that see me EVERY SINGLE DAY running the same exact path.

I usually speak first just cause its in my nature. But after several initiations of saying hi or good morning I sometimes test people to see if they will say something first. They mostly never do.

Oh well. Its nothing thats gonna make me move.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
... The thing I find that I hate most about Vegas is the transient nature of everyone here. There are very little locals, by that I mean born here.. .
Umm, if you'd done your research before moving here you would have known that. You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle of moving.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM

13 posts, read 26,788 times
Anyone thinking of moving here? Please, take my advice and DON'T DO IT! Spending a few days in Las Vegas is MUCH DIFFERENT than living here. It's not so much the heat, it's the illusion of Las Vegas. This whole city is insane. In the end what did I get for my mid-life crisis. I had a decent job back I Boston but wanted to try something different and wanted to afford good size home. Wow, what a mistake.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,046 times
I do not live in Vegas yet (next year) but people are people no matter where you live. Here in small town upstate NYS people still refer to folks who move in to where they came from. Example those folks down the street are the ones from Long Island. Problem with that they have been there for over 25 years lol. I believe from reading enough on this form it is the person who moves to Las Vegas to keep trying to say hello and the lines of communication open. I don't care where you live you just do not walk down a street everyday and expect people to flock to you with gushing friendship. It is that way most anyplace you live.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,770 times
Quote:
Anyone thinking of moving here? Please, take my advice and DON'T DO IT! Spending a few days in Las Vegas is MUCH DIFFERENT than living here. It's not so much the heat, it's the illusion of Las Vegas. This whole city is insane. In the end what did I get for my mid-life crisis. I had a decent job back I Boston but wanted to try something different and wanted to afford good size home. Wow, what a mistake.
Seriously, you need to stop

Las Vegas is not the reason for your woes, I don't know what your "illusion" was but the city has not changed much in several years. We have had high unemployment, high foreclosures and the main industry of this city being hospitality. Did you think it would change because you were coming here????

Yes, Boston is much different than here. So is Seattle, Orlando, Houston and many other cities. The city was not the right one for you, we get that but stop coming on here and become a basher just because you didn't do your homework.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Sounds like pure sour grapes to me. OP didn't do any homework prior to coming here to see whether the city would be a good fit, sorry that it didn't work out but the reasons listed are pure BS. Been here for over 4 years and people here are tons more friendly and real than what I encountered back in DC with their Stepford-like attitudes.

It's reasons like this I have said for years, spend some time here before making the big move. There is no utopia anywhere in the world.
Good point.

You have to do your homework for any place you plan to visit or live. Me being active duty Air Force I am forced to do weeks...maybe even months of research before I am forced to move anywhere. Its not like I have a choice so I am even more inclined to make the best of my future residents. The second I got orders to Vegas(3 years ago) while stationed in Utah I was on Google, Yahoo, Bing, Dog Pile etc...Every search engine possible to look up statistics on crime, jobs, economy, apartments, clubs, women, gambling, strip clubs, window tint, insurance rates...everything. Then I took two trips there, one to the base and surrounding areas and another to party on the strip then look for some housing. I was all over the 215 and Aliante mainly because there was so much undeveloped areas North of the 215. My GPS couldnt even pick up on the un-registered un-named streets. Yet I still ventured out and about. Even cruised around Boulder City for a few minutes.

And I still had a full 365 days till I got here. I had to go to Korea for a year BEFORE I made it to Vegas. So I had to switch all of that researching around to Korea to learn a little of the culture and language.

Half way through my tour of Korea I was back to researching Vegas full throttle.

Research and planning is your friend.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM

293 posts, read 641,602 times
Makes me wonder what area he lives in...The 2 areas we had a home here were great places and 2 weeks after getting here the first time there was an Ohio State football party with the game on someones big screen and almost the entire complex brought an item to eat and there were games for the kids. we had 3 of these per season; then we moved to another area and there were cook-outs and the neighbors would walk around the community and many would say hi or stop to talk..Very rarely in 6 years did we have these kinds of concerns with people being downright rude. Johninvegas is right and you can get answers to almost any question you have about Vegas on these forumns and most come on and ask how things are going at the time they want to move..It seems like for every person bashing it like you and failing at what you wanted Vegas to be for you, there are a couple who make it. We are coming back again after a short time away and it is for the kids who love it in Henderson/Vegas area and have bugged us since we left to return....

Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Threads like this have always made me wonder: Does Las Vegas attract more clueless people than other cities?

I don't read the forums for any other cities here on C-D, but I've got to believe Las Vegas attracts a far bigger share of the clueless than other cities. I'm just amazed at how poor these people are at decision making. Makes me wonder how they manage to function in modern society at all.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
You need to give a city more than two months before deciding that it's the most awful place in the world. Adjusting to a new place takes time.

When I moved here, it took a full 2 years for me to adjust. Not saying that it takes that long for everyone, but sticking it out for only two months isn't exactly giving the city a fair chance. Did you really expect everything to fall perfectly into place right away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas