Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikiman View Post
Hello everyone, Let me share my situation here with you.
I moved here about two months ago from Boston and I can't wait another minute to go home.

My wife and I packed up all our things, the dog, and took two friends for the cross country trip, and were on our way to "fabulous" Las Vegas. What a mistake. The trip alone was a disaster which should have been a good sign. I hate it.

It took all of a month to realize what a huge mistake I made. No one told me you can't do a damn thing without knowing someone here. With eleven years of experience in my field I managed to find a bull**** job for $12/hr. I'm packing my things as we speak.

No one here wants anything to do with you unless you can do something for them or they can make some money off of you. What a bunch of materialistic pieces of garbage.

The weather sucks in Boston. The prices of houses are much higher than in Vegas. But here's the thing... The people in Boston are human. They're friendly. They're respectful. There's a sense of family, friendship, morals and honor. None of which are here in Vegas.

Pardon the expression but... Screw Vegas... I'm going home to shovel snow in winter and be happy again.

My wife doesn't think we've given it a good enough try and I can't spend another minute here if I want to keep my sanity. All I have to say is this horrible city better not jeopardize my marriage.
People should not "move" here. They should be born here. I always tell people that visiting Vegas and living here are 2 entirely different things. Unless you are Vegas born, you may never really click here. The climate alone is enough to tell most of you that. People that are Vegas born do not get "Vegas throat" or suffer the effects of transition to an arid climate. Even if you are well off, this is not an easy place to transition to. Even Terry Fader had a bit of a time getting used to Vegas and he is paid a million a year to be here. Some people can and many others can't. The people here and human and friendly too but as an outsider you have to earn trust and friendship. You accuse us of wanting to make a buck off you but in fact many of you who move here do so because you think you are going to get rich here and when it doesn't work for you, you get mad. Most of us that were born here know better. I know as well as any resident here that I am not going to beat the sports books or the roulette table.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Sounds like pure sour grapes to me. OP didn't do any homework prior to coming here to see whether the city would be a good fit, sorry that it didn't work out but the reasons listed are pure BS. Been here for over 4 years and people here are tons more friendly and real than what I encountered back in DC with their Stepford-like attitudes.

It's reasons like this I have said for years, spend some time here before making the big move. There is no utopia anywhere in the world.
I agree. This place is not the place for everybody. Las Vegas Blvd is "the boulevard of broken dreams" for many a person. It takes a bit of level head to live here if you were not born and raised here. It isn't like Boston, Chicago or Dallas. It is different in most ways.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 26,792 times
Let me explain you how Vegas changes you cause that is what I have been going thru in past two months and that's why I need to leave before is not too late. After two months I keep asking myself why are these people acting like that? And why Am I SURROUNDED by fools and crazy people? You might think it sounds Judgmental but no this is sadly, reality in this city. I must Maintain Mental Stability right now and that is a key issue for me. You see when you’re surrounded by Wolves, Fools, theifs, gypsys, whores and everything else that Vegas has to offer you began to become desensitized thus developing a cold heart, you become anti social (unless you choose to conform and adapt) you can't trust anybody Your very soul is being Tortured and slowly you began to lose yourself, and then the Dark side comes out. The reason for this is because your mind decides FLIGHT OR FIGHT if you choose Flight, Good for you, you were smart. If you choose to stay and Fight be prepared for thoughts, words and actions you never even dreamed of. It's a matter of survival and it gets ugly out here, of course the million dollar question. What Lessons are to be learned from these experiences? Let me share my Lessons. You can't speak Logic and reasoning to fools or crazy people they don't have the mental comprehension to understand it. So in other words learn to quite your mind and don't waste your energy on trying to figure out or rationalize why these people are so dysfunctional. Another invaluable lesson is I will never again take for granted my homeland or the simple things in life, like real trees, the rain, the snow, and the very Fresh Air I breathe.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I dont care for the Vegas bashing very much but this is a pretty acurate statement. Im from Savannah, GA and I could never walk down any of my old streets without everyone speaking to say "hello" "Hey" "whats up" "Whats going on?"or to ask "How was my day". It was almost annoying but I got used to it. Here in Vegas I run a couple of miles every other morning in several connecting neighborhoods and rarely ever get a head nod. Even from the people that see me EVERY SINGLE DAY running the same exact path.

I usually speak first just cause its in my nature. But after several initiations of saying hi or good morning I sometimes test people to see if they will say something first. They mostly never do.

Oh well. Its nothing thats gonna make me move.
Maybe they speak to you in Savannah but when I was there in Hinesville in the Army, the only thing I liked about that place was going to Tybee Island. I really could not wait to get the heck outta there.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I agree. This place is not the place for everybody. Las Vegas Blvd is "the boulevard of broken dreams" for many a person. It takes a bit of level head to live here if you were not born and raised here. It isn't like Boston, Chicago or Dallas. It is different in most ways.
Thanks Joe,

Your posts are spot on When we considered moving here from DC, we spent considerable time here to get a feel for the weather with the heat, wind, winters (lack thereof) but we also looked at several other cities including Bandon, Oregon (too cold), the midwest (rained a lot), the southern atlantic shoreline (hurricanes, bugs, humidity) and every thing kept pointing to here. We knew what we wanted and Vegas offered that plus the fact that the crime, cost of living and traffic were much less than what we experienced back in DC became a no-brainer. People are much more friendly here, my neighbors are some of the best people I've ever known.

4 years later and still no regrets.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM

232 posts, read 676,483 times
So you moved here without doing any research on the city or the people who reside here. You blame everyone else for your failure. Yet countless people live here and are quite happy. Sorry, OP, but it's YOUR fault and no else that it didn't work. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
The OP's main problem is that he is working at $12 an hour. If he was working at $120 an hour he would have an entirely different take on Las Vegas.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 PM

487 posts, read 747,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikiman View Post
Let me explain you how Vegas changes you cause that is what I have been going thru in past two months and that's why I need to leave before is not too late. After two months I keep asking myself why are these people acting like that? And why Am I SURROUNDED by fools and crazy people? You might think it sounds Judgmental but no this is sadly, reality in this city. I must Maintain Mental Stability right now and that is a key issue for me. You see when you’re surrounded by Wolves, Fools, theifs, gypsys, whores and everything else that Vegas has to offer you began to become desensitized thus developing a cold heart, you become anti social (unless you choose to conform and adapt) you can't trust anybody Your very soul is being Tortured and slowly you began to lose yourself, and then the Dark side comes out. The reason for this is because your mind decides FLIGHT OR FIGHT if you choose Flight, Good for you, you were smart. If you choose to stay and Fight be prepared for thoughts, words and actions you never even dreamed of. It's a matter of survival and it gets ugly out here, of course the million dollar question. What Lessons are to be learned from these experiences? Let me share my Lessons. You can't speak Logic and reasoning to fools or crazy people they don't have the mental comprehension to understand it. So in other words learn to quite your mind and don't waste your energy on trying to figure out or rationalize why these people are so dysfunctional. Another invaluable lesson is I will never again take for granted my homeland or the simple things in life, like real trees, the rain, the snow, and the very Fresh Air I breathe.
I'm actually going to live in Vegas for precisely the same reasons that you hate.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM

13 posts, read 26,792 times
It's not about the money anymore. It's about keeping my sanity and my family together. I just can't imagine living here after I learned what's going on in this city. I have never seen full on contempt for higher education in a professional setting. Las Vegas is Cultural wasteland. For you who don't have a choice but to live here good luck, but I'm going back to civilization.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 PM

293 posts, read 641,647 times
"And why Am I SURROUNDED by fools and crazy people? You might think it sounds Judgmental but no this is sadly, reality in this city. I must Maintain Mental Stability right now and that is a key issue for me. You see when you’re surrounded by Wolves, Fools, theifs, gypsys, whores and everything else that Vegas has to offer you began to become desensitized thus developing a cold heart, you become anti social (unless you choose to conform and adapt) you can't trust anybody Your very soul is being Tortured and slowly you began to lose yourself,"

What city does not have these same kinds of people? This is your opinion, and 2 months is not enough time to draw a very good one! You came to Vegas with visions of greatness for yourself, told all your fiends back home about these visons of having tons of money and fun, then came here after only coming on short vacations thinking it was just like in the movies and got stung hard!!! You kind of sound like this person who for the last 2 days has been coming on and bashing everyone in Vegas and everything this great city has to offer before being ejected(thankfully) These are your first times on this forumn, so you did not do your homework on moving and are mad that you have to run home tail between your legs and it is everyones fault in Vegas? A town that has thrived and grown for decades and made people lots of money, very famous and is THE entertainment capital of America. It is all the fault of the great people of a great state and a great town where many come to everyday and make a living while some, thinking they are destined to strike it big, come here and fall hard on thier face. Please before blaming all of the good citizens, grab a mirror, look closely at it and see the pain you are causing yourself by not doing the proper homework before picking up and moving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas