Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
You will find it much hotter here than Chicago is. Even with the humidity. It will take you some time to adjust to summer here. People banter about a "dry heat" but it is hot here and will feel much hotter than most summer days in a northern city like Chicago. Imagine everyday in July and August being 100 in Chicago. That is what it will be like here because most days are 105 or more.
From your statement above I can tell that you've never spent a summer in a city where the temps reach 100+ and you're also dealing with high humidity. I've lived in Illinois as well as having spent 25 summers in DC and I can tell you with 100% certainty that July and August are worse in cities with high humidity such as Chicago & DC than anything I've experienced in Las Vegas.

And on a related note, your statement that most days are 105+ in LV is just plain ridiculous. There isn't even one day during the entire month of August where the average high temperature reaches 105. Sure, there are days that exceed 105, but those days exceed the historical norm.

Daily Averages for Las Vegas, NV (89113) - weather.com

In fact, there is only one week during the entire summer, from July 17-24, where the average temp even reaches 105.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
From your statement above I can tell that you've never spent a summer in a city where the temps reach 100+ and you're also dealing with high humidity. I've lived in Illinois as well as having spent 25 summers in DC and I can tell you with 100% certainty that July and August are worse in cities with high humidity such as Chicago & DC than anything I've experienced in Las Vegas.

And on a related note, your statement that most days are 105+ in LV is just plain ridiculous. There isn't even one day during the entire month of August where the average high temperature reaches 105. Sure, there are days that exceed 105, but those days exceed the historical norm.

In fact, there is only one week during the entire summer, from July 17-24, where the average temp even reaches 105.

I have always lived here but I was in Georgia for a few years in the Army and I agree that heat and humidity are very uncomfortable but it from what I see on WGN, Chicago has much more milder summers. Today it will be only 91 and for the next week in the 80s and even 70s. Here is going to be 102 to 104 every day for the next week. Even with moderate humidity, that is far more comfortable than it will be here. If the person lived in Dallas or Houston, I would say they would probably be better off here but a person from Chicago is going to feel quite uncomfortable in the summer afternoons here until they get used to hot dry summers.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I quit inviting them after two years of trying. Maybe they don't drink, I dunno.

Well, you tried. Nothing else you can do. Maybe invite some non-neighbor friends over for a cook-out and invite a neighbor or two the morning of and see if they join the party? Or, don't worry about it and just keep the friends you already have.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM

186 posts, read 434,327 times
What neighborhood or suburb are you coming from? I've lived in jefferson park, logan square, lincoln square, des plaines, far nw lake county & lockport. We moved to green valley ranch in june. I love it (& I thought I would always stay in chicago). I go for a 4 mile walk every saturday morning with my baby (turned 1 on friday). I would take the bad weather here over chicago bad weather any day. There are a lot of things for moms/babies to do. the employment situation is bad. If you are into "crunchy" parenting send me a DM & I can share some resources. You definitely need a car, & will want to drink a lot of extra water when you get here. I bought new water bottles for each of us. You'll also need more moisturizer lol

Sent from my Evo Shift using TapaTalk, please forgive typos

Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM

135 posts, read 270,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3450 View Post
I've lived in Green Valley/Henderson for 5 years and it's a decent place to live. I rented an apartment at Camden Commons for a year and that was ok at best. Apartment renting is always a gamble, never know when you'll have noisy neighbors.
We rented in Allegro before finding a house in Green Valley Ranch. Allegro is just off the 215 and Gibson on Las Palmas Entrada in Henderson (89012). Very clean, very quiet, safe area, friendly management, no complaints. There's a nice walk down Las Palmas Entrada about 0.75 mile down the road, the Experimental Landscaping Park (Acacia Park) which is like a mini-arboretum. Lots of little paths through desert landscaping. There's also a fenced dog park there, and a nice playground too.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I have always lived here but I was in Georgia for a few years in the Army and I agree that heat and humidity are very uncomfortable but it from what I see on WGN, Chicago has much more milder summers. Today it will be only 91 and for the next week in the 80s and even 70s. Here is going to be 102 to 104 every day for the next week. Even with moderate humidity, that is far more comfortable than it will be here. If the person lived in Dallas or Houston, I would say they would probably be better off here but a person from Chicago is going to feel quite uncomfortable in the summer afternoons here until they get used to hot dry summers.
Central Iowa here.

Since we are thinking about retiring in Henderson I've been watching the weather and comparing the heat index between here and there.

For the last 4-5 weeks our heat index (not the actual temp) has been higher than yours by a lot. We have regularly seen over 110 and some days over 115. That's usually with temps in the mid 90's.

On the plus side it's cooled of some for the state fair. And the state fair is usually when it's the hottest here. Go figure...

Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 10,394 times
Thumbs up My Friends Love Living in Henderson & Las Vegas

Dear Chicago,

Hello, It's true that it's very hot in Henderson during the summer months. However, the rest of the year is enjoyable weather: frequent sunny skies and pleasant a lot of the time. We have several family members and friends who live in the area, and we visit them all the time (aunts, uncles, best friends, etc).

Just to let you know, I hear a lot of negative talk about Las Vegas specifically, but a lot of positive talk about Henderson--especially the Green Valley Ranch area of Henderson. In fact, there are walkable-livable areas in Green Valley Ranch if you don't want to drive everywhere. Perhaps check out walkscore.com and input the area of village walk dr, Henderson NV 89052. That's where most of the walkable activity is from what I can tell.

Henderson, NV, is a well organized and beautiful city if you ask me. Henderson has an average crime rate, much better than Vegas and a lot better than most big cities. The schools are not bad either (although beware that many of the Las Vegas schools are not rated well).

Like many other towns and cities, there are movies, tons of walking and biking trails, tennis courts, swimming pools, Lake Mead is near-by for boating, the multi-generational facility is pretty cool, the Henderson Farmers market is available every week throughout the year, the outdoor amphitheater provides concerts, and The District--which is a European Style outdoor mall--is highly regarded by their residents (see Yelp reviews). The District provides free carousel rides and outdoor picture shows for families. These are just a few fun things to do with your family if you move to Henderson.

I also noticed that the city of Henderson received the top 100 "Best places to live" from CNN in both 2006 and 2008. Prevention magazine also likes Henderson because of it's commitment to providing biking and walking trails all over the city. Just recently, Forbes magazine listed Henderson in the top 25 best cities to retire.

My friend used to live in Las Vegas, but he was laid off from his job and had to leave because he couldn't find work quick enough. However, he loved Vegas so much that will be returning to the area (to Henderson this time) any day now. I think you're lucky that your husband got a job in Henderson.

I just wanted to give you some advise from someone who knows the area somewhat, although I do not personally live there myself. I also have a great interest in Henderson, and maybe one day, we will move there too.

Lastly, below are some links that you might find helpful:

[url=http://www.cityofhenderson.com/index.php]Official Website of the City of Henderson, Nevada[/url]

[url=http://www.cityofhenderson.com/parks/recreation_centers/henderson_multigenerational_center.php]Parks & Recreation - Henderson Multigenerational Center[/url]

[url=http://www.thedistrictatgvr.com/index.php]The District at Green Valley Ranch - Shop | Dine | Live[/url]

Henderson Farmers Market (http://countryfreshfarmersmarket.com/photos/ - broken link)

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by K.C.C.H.; 08-10-2011 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM

215 posts, read 350,715 times
I've lived in Chicago and work in the same area of Henderson you're going to move to. It's a great area with lots to do, and the police actually respond to calls quickly. The walls here are thin, so you may hear your neighbors sneeze, but usually most people get used to that quickly.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Green Valley's a nice place. I'm in the southeast part of Henderson, near the mountains, and love it. You'll be near the 215, which can hook you up to the 95 or 15 pretty quick. Commuting can be a pain with traffic and the aforementioned bad drivers. I steer clear of the 15 if I can help it, and my commute involves a short stint on 95 north in the morning, south at night. I used to work far northwest and out of the city past Indian Springs, and every morning I cruised at 70 while just on the other side of the median was the parking lot that was the southbound commute, and at night heading home / south, there was the parking lot that was northbound traffic - it sucked to live in the republic of Summerlin. The local paper actually coined that phrase iirc, when the FAA instituted, or talked about instituting, a landing / take off pattern that would fly over the republic. The city councilmen was up in arms, the people were up in arms, and it all came down to let them fly over the other guys but not our million dollar homes. Traffic wise, it sucks to live in the republic.

Out of the three police departments; Las Vegas Metro, North Las Vegas, and Henderson, Henderson cops are the highest paid. They're everywhere. They drive white Yukons and are well equipped, which can be reassuring if you're looking for the pros and cons of the area. Everyone has differing experiences, but mine have been positive. Before I closed I visited HPD on a Saturday and spoke to a Cop on duty and he gave me the scoop on the area where I ultimately moved. Turned out he was thinking of moving there so he'd researched it too. The part where I'm at is aka old Henderson, near Water street and the city government buildings and such.

Lots of walking / biking / multi-use trails seem to be springing up out of no where. I just found one that goes up toward the mountain on a slight rise toward the water authority reservoir and beyond. I think they use money from the flood control construction and many trails parallel these flood channels. Found a link to it.

River Mountains Loop Trail

The heat ain't so bad. You just have to acclimate your self. If you melt and run from ac to ac and never get used to it, you'll hate it.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 08-13-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM

47 posts, read 230,045 times
Thumbs up Go For It

Stephy,

If you don't mind the summertime heat you will absolutely love it as I did. I've since moved out of the city but have been back every month, makes me wonder why I left. I lived in the beautiful Green Valley neighborhood of Henderson and I have a post(s) about it if you care to read it. I think people saying that Las Vegas is the "devils city" is major over hype and if anyone says that they must have lived in some small ghost town because I've lived in many cities and Henderson is one of my favorites and safest. Your kids will be going to relatively great schools in Henderson and actually Las Vegas has a lot of magnet schools so a lot of options. The utilities are a gamble and a pain but other than that I enjoyed living there. The people are really friendly but having family there is the best thing. Good luck to you and feel free to direct message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas