Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times

Advertisements

Another trip I have discovered, can save you $50
book your pickup time and return time to the same time.

even adding a hr extra adds another days 'rent' to your car

Also be aware there is a "GAS" scam, that most car rental places practice.
you buy the 'return with tank empty' option, they charge you 'cheaper then you can get" it gas
which is B.S. - and they count on you returning the car 1/2 full or more. which means you hand them $40 worth of gas for free!

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I've never come across such a provision in over 30 years of renting cars for both business and personal reasons. There's usually an hourly charge that kicks in (although it will equal another day after 3 or 4 hours). Moreover, there's usually a one-hour (or 59 minute) grace period where no additional charges kick in whatsoever.

Since I'm 6'4" I only rent full size or premium vehicles; if someone is renting a subcompact for $6 or $7, I suppose one hour could equal a day's rate.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Another trip I have discovered, can save you $50
book your pickup time and return time to the same time.

Also be aware there is a "GAS" scam, that most car rental places practice.
you buy the 'return with tank empty' option, they charge you 'cheaper then you can get" it gas
which is B.S. - and they count on you returning the car 1/2 full or more. which means you hand them $40 worth of gas for free!

Jonathan
I ALWAYS return a car with the tank full.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
What about non-bidding sites like Orbitz?

I'll be in Vegas at the end of April and plan on renting a car so I can check out the area. Doing a search I am shown a long list of rental companies, and rates of about $11 a day with unlimited miles. A convertible is more, of course, but I might also go that route. I hate a car with a roof in warm weather!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:41 PM

206 posts, read 240,742 times
Quote:
Greetings all, As you know until I am in LV full time, I bounce in and out of town, and am spending major $$ on Car Rentals.

I thought it would be a good subject (for me) and other to share places and ways to get "Best Deals" on Car rentals.

I will start.
I have been using ADVANTAGE Car rental (Basically older "Hertz" cars)
And been saving about $100 per rental (usually a 2 week rental)
I also started Googling Terms like "Discount Advantage car rates" and find promotions (usually 7-10% discount) I also tried AARP (which is TERRIBLE)
as well as AAA, etc.

Anyone have any other hints they can share?

Jonathan

Jonathan,
orbitz is your friend....................

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
What about non-bidding sites like Orbitz?

I'll be in Vegas at the end of April and plan on renting a car so I can check out the area. Doing a search I am shown a long list of rental companies, and rates of about $11 a day with unlimited miles. A convertible is more, of course, but I might also go that route. I hate a car with a roof in warm weather!
I just did a comparison between priceline and my direct hertz rental using AAA discount and the priceline quote was almost $200 more for a monthly rental.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I just did a comparison between priceline and my direct hertz rental using AAA discount and the priceline quote was almost $200 more for a monthly rental.
I dont have AAA or anything like that. I'll only need the car 4 days, and my quoted price on Orbitz was like $160 for 4 days for a convertible and under $50 for a compact car.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,046 times
Last time in Las Vegas we did Hot Wire. Put in for a economy car ended up with a full size sedan 4 door because they did not have anymore economy cars ended going thru Dollar Rent car. Got a great deal and only paid Economy price because of Hot Wire.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM

136 posts, read 276,848 times
I've had the best luck overall through Costco Travel. They usually have really good rates on rental cars. I like them because I don't have to pay upfront, just in case my plans change.

I've also used Priceline and gotten good rates with them as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntonv View Post
I've had the best luck overall through Costco Travel. They usually have really good rates on rental cars. I like them because I don't have to pay upfront, just in case my plans change.

I've also used Priceline and gotten good rates with them as well.
I don't have a Costco membership.

I did notice when I checked Orbitz they gave me a total and it said something like "What you pay at pickup" so it seems you don't pay ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas