Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
As for driving through the typical gated communities without knowing the code, just idle near the gate for a couple minutes and then drive in behind the first person who pulls up and punches the code. That's what everyone does. Great security, eh?
unless you follow a smart resident who'll stop just inside the gate closing arc to block you. piggy backing is easy to thwart. don't you stop and watch your garage door close all the way before you drive off to work in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
don't you stop and watch your garage door close all the way before you drive off to work in the morning?

I work from home.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
unless you follow a smart resident who'll stop just inside the gate closing arc to block you. piggy backing is easy to thwart. don't you stop and watch your garage door close all the way before you drive off to work in the morning?
Doesn't work. You just sit there and wait. Once you are into the arc the gate won't close.

Actually as a practical matter my wife sits in the driver's seat and waives at the drivers leaving and at least half open the inbound gate for her. On a heavy showing day we may go through three or four without codes.

The gates discourage traffic. They keep cruising to a minimum. They do little else. If you use a quality gate and properly armor it you can discourage the kids who are the ones who break the gates.

I doubt very much it has any impact on burglaries which are driven by other parameters.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Doesn't work. You just sit there and wait. Once you are into the arc the gate won't close.

Actually as a practical matter my wife sits in the driver's seat and waives at the drivers leaving and at least half open the inbound gate for her. On a heavy showing day we may go through three or four without codes.

The gates discourage traffic. They keep cruising to a minimum. They do little else. If you use a quality gate and properly armor it you can discourage the kids who are the ones who break the gates.

I doubt very much it has any impact on burglaries which are driven by other parameters.
it certainly won't work without cooperation. yup, it won't work.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM

200 posts, read 271,122 times
Default UPS man and guarded gate?

Does the UPS man have access to most gated communities?

I hear a lot of people are buying things from Amazon and getting shipments from UPS frequently, even daily!

How does that work with the gated communities? Any problem with the UPS man getting in?

Then there is the question of the not so common delivery companies like DHL.

I'm guessing US Postal service gets in no problem.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM

635 posts, read 745,914 times
Gates do deter property crime, having a guard at the gate and guards patrolling the property also add to that deterrent. Another simple deterrent is to have a alarm sign and a beware of dog sign, even if you don't have an alarm or dog. If you really believe gates, especially guard gated communities don't deter crime look up crime maps of neighborhoods that have gates compared to those that don't have gates. I will tell you right now a perfect example is the Las Vegas Country Club Estates...crime is very high in the surrounding area and very low inside the gates.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
^ I think she's asking about delivery people, not crime. The 4 year old thread was revived to ask about UPS.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I live in a non-gated community. My mother in law lives in a gated community. We experience the same frequency of smash-the-sliding-door-and-grab burglaries.

In the case of the gated community, the burglars hop the privacy wall first.

In my experience the gates give residents higher HOA fees and a false sense of security. Since they don't eliminate crime, they aren't nearly as effective as people think.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM

635 posts, read 745,914 times
Scoop, nothing will eliminate crime, deter yes. As others said in this thread most criminals are looking for an easy target, a wall deters them from trying...too much work.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
Does the UPS man have access to most gated communities?

I hear a lot of people are buying things from Amazon and getting shipments from UPS frequently, even daily!

How does that work with the gated communities? Any problem with the UPS man getting in?

Then there is the question of the not so common delivery companies like DHL.

I'm guessing US Postal service gets in no problem.
Yes, all the postal type delivery services, including DHL, have access to gated communities, plus police and fire dept. I think they have a device that opens all gates or something, or they just have the code. For other delivery services you can either give them the code (they'll ask for it) or do what we do and tell them to stop at the kiosk, scroll down to our name, and call us on the kiosk phone, and we'll open the gate by pushing a number on the telephone keypad. You'll just have to trust the other services you use - gardeners, pool man, exterminators, etc., with the code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: