Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 AM

19 posts, read 140,105 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be graduating from law school next May and will possibly seek employment with the Clark County DA's office. I have a 10 year old son and I'm just wondering if there are any nice family friendly suburbs in Clark County with decent schools. I've only been to Vegas a few times and have never ventured out to any of the outlying communities. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM

818 posts, read 3,700,314 times
They're all pretty good. Read some other threads and you'll see that the quality of Valley schools is a fiery debate. If you'll be working downtown, I would suggest the Green Valley or Henderson area, since the commute isn't as ugly on the 95/515 as it is on the 215/15. The northwest is really nice too, but it's a traffic nightmare.

Check out the CCSD site to find school performance Clark County School District

Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhalen View Post
Hi,

I'll be graduating from law school next May and will possibly seek employment with the Clark County DA's office. I have a 10 year old son and I'm just wondering if there are any nice family friendly suburbs in Clark County with decent schools. I've only been to Vegas a few times and have never ventured out to any of the outlying communities. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
That implies you will work downtown. Generally that says stay to the west side. For a newcomer that says Summerlin or the NW. Maybe Aliante or the north end of NLV.

Zips include 89084, 89131, 89143,89149,89129,89134,89128, 89144..There are others but this is already more than you can possibly deal with.

You might start with 89128 and 89134 which are older and established. Or Aliante 89084 which is new and shiny.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,517,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhalen View Post
Hi,

Wait a minute...you've only been to LV a few times (on vacation?) and have never ventured off the strip? Yet, you "will possibly seek employment with the Clark County DA's office" and be bringing your 10 year old son to live?

It would be like someone vacationing at DisneyWorld and deciding to live in Orlando...because it's always so much fun there? If I were you, I would take off the vacation goggles for a minute and really consider a move, based on the good time you had on the strip when you visited those "few times".

Just my opinion...but I'm sure you can think of a better place to raise a 10 year old boy, other than LV!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Why would you say that?

OP has the option of staying where at...which may not be desirable for a mess of reasons.

Then OP can go somewhere else.

Picking one of the fabled cities is not a bad choice...

May not be a good choice either...but that is true of all the available choices.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 PM

98 posts, read 433,569 times
This is not a town for children and the area is less kid friendly then you would be led to believe. The schools generally aren't great - even in the nicer areas - and there are much better places to settle down in.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Nonsense. The good schools are as good as anywhere. The US suburban school is almost standardized. NY, Chicago, Phoenix, LA, Portland. The good schools are pretty much interchangable.

The bad schools are awful...also true anywhere.

So send your kids to a good school.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,693,251 times
First of all, what the hell is a family-friendly suburb?

A family can be raised anywhere...except an active adult community...

Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,478 times
Hello I relocated to lv with my 9 and 10 year old from new york. I also was wondering if this was a kid friendly place to live. From my visits I found things to do. My children are into entertainment and acting. Does LV have any of this for children? I am renting because I am not sure which area I would want to live in to buy a house that would be nice for my children. I thought it was much cheaper here than N.Y. but it is more expensive in some aspects and comparitive in others especially with the high astronominal car registration compared to n.y. I want to remain optimistic and enjoy the place. any suggestions please give me some advice. thanx

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,517,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbeautee View Post
I want to remain optimistic and enjoy the place.
brown, do I sense frustration in your post? If so, you might want to elaborate to help others who are planning to live there with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas