Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,129 times

Advertisements

I've been in a home since May, just moved here from another city. I hate the house, too many things are just inconvenient, everything breaks constantly, the back yard is terrible for my dogs, the list goes on. In the lease agreement, it states my property management is responsible for utilitites, and replacing certain things in the home, i don't want to get into specifics because who knows if they read this forum. But after months of emailing the property manager, they still haven't replaced the things stated in the contract, and the utilities they supplied (fridge) breaks every other week. Is this grounds to get out of my contract? How do i get out of it? Do i have to take them to court? Would i be eligible to get the rent money back i've spent, after all if i was to break contract i would be responsible for the whole thing, shouldn't it work both ways? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
For one thing, a refrigerator is not a utility. It is an appliance. Utilities are gas, electric, water.
Go and talk in person to the Property Management company since they ignore you in other ways. I don't know if they will let you out of your lease without a penalty, I suppose someone else knows more about that than I do.
You may just be stuck there until the lease runs out and you can consider it a learning experience. Or you can break your lease and pay a penalty. See if it's worth it to you if you really hate it there that badly.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM

390 posts, read 755,247 times
Contact the management company asap. Perhaps the owner has a policy on the appliances, or if not require it to be fixed. If that doesn't work, check on the Clark County assessors page to locate the owner...then contact them directly with your issues (put it in writing!). Why didn't you notice the back yard (too small for dogs?) before you rented?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Communicate. If communication fails, let the management company know that your next call is going to be to the State of Nevada Real Estate Commissioner. But don't bluff. Do it. I have found that will get their attention.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
check on the Clark County assessors page to locate the owner...then contact them directly with your issues
This was going to be my suggestion, but make sure that you've exhausted your options with the management company first.

I doubt an owner would mind knowing that the company that's taking 10-15% of their rent is doing such a horrible job, but if direct contact isn't absolutely necessary, then you're basically bothering them with stuff that you should be dealing with the management company about.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 PM

508 posts, read 1,021,728 times
on the flip side of that... maybe the company isnt telling the owner... i know i fired my management company cause i found out they lied to me... it was a pain in the tush and it worked out better for both of us...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Have you called or written them a letter instead of the e-mails? If a phone call does not result in repairs being ordered and done within a few days, send them a list of your needs via certified letter. If this is a realty company, call and ask to speak with the broker. If not, regardless of what type of management company this is, there is someone higher on the food chain that whomever you have been dealing with. Find out who that is, and call them. Everyone has a boss.

Landlord tenant laws state that certain essential repairs must be done within a set number of days (usually about 10) and of course any safety or habitability issues must be dealt with immediately.

Have they ever answered your e-mails? Maybe they did not even get them - could have bounced, ended up in the spam folder, no telling what. I just had a tenant get aggravated at me because supposedly about 12 days prior to an email that I did see, they had sent me one with 2 minor repair/replacement issues. I flat did not get that email. They were ready to start "getting estimates and deducting from next month's rent" yadda yadda. I was astounded. I called them up and said "why the heck didn't you just call the office for crying out loud?" "Oh, I prefer to only communicate through e-mail." "Well, how's that working out for ya, huh?" unreal.

If you have not called them, visited personally or written them, please try that now and see what happens.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
another OPW [one post wonder] methinks

Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Have you called or written them a letter instead of the e-mails? If a phone call does not result in repairs being ordered and done within a few days, send them a list of your needs via certified letter. If this is a realty company, call and ask to speak with the broker. If not, regardless of what type of management company this is, there is someone higher on the food chain that whomever you have been dealing with. Find out who that is, and call them. Everyone has a boss.

Landlord tenant laws state that certain essential repairs must be done within a set number of days (usually about 10) and of course any safety or habitability issues must be dealt with immediately.

Have they ever answered your e-mails? Maybe they did not even get them - could have bounced, ended up in the spam folder, no telling what. I just had a tenant get aggravated at me because supposedly about 12 days prior to an email that I did see, they had sent me one with 2 minor repair/replacement issues. I flat did not get that email. They were ready to start "getting estimates and deducting from next month's rent" yadda yadda. I was astounded. I called them up and said "why the heck didn't you just call the office for crying out loud?" "Oh, I prefer to only communicate through e-mail." "Well, how's that working out for ya, huh?" unreal.

If you have not called them, visited personally or written them, please try that now and see what happens.
+1 rep...

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post

WHAT???? you mean they ACTUALLY have someone that will personally deliver your letters for you????

a truly novel Idea....

Altho....it does seem that the USPS is trying very hard to equal the 'reliability" of email ......

Im with you Kona.....wtf ever happened to the phone.....EVERYone has one....they can use em on the crapper fer gods sake....but they'd rather let the problem build up.....

+1 for the post b.t.w.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas