Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times

Advertisements

I wasnt here at that time, but I remember Harry from before I left.....so it became.....

Whamm Bamm, Thank you Mam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaschips View Post
In 1983 Michael Jackson, Hall and Oates, Eurythmics, Police were cranking out top tens and the nite life in Vegas offered the likes of the Elephant Bar, Tramps, Alias Smith and Jones, Carlos Murphy's and blah and blah and blah. For me it was VFR direct to the Keyboard Lounge on Saturday night. During the day it was Harry Wham of Whamco Divers but on Saturday nite it was Harry Wham the piano man. He'd call out "Hello Buttermilk!" because my first request was always the Hoagy tune "Buttermilk Skies". A few months earlier I'd given Harry the sheet music for this song I'd stumbled across in L.A.

Harry's wife Stormy (Peggy) was, well, stormy. She'd get wrapped around an axle regularly but Harry was as easy going as it gets, at least from what I saw. Early January of '83 I'd taken Stormy's highly inebriated daughter, Kathy Faltinowski, to her apartment (at Harry's request) which was behind the Regency car wash on Maryland. Odd bird, she was. Even taking the booze into account, very strange.

On January 26 the news was ablaze about Harry Wham being shot but not dead. That Saturday night I jetted down to the Keyboard and heard Harry's distintive style before I opened the door. One tough dude for sure. He was a retired Navy hard hat diver so a little old small calibre shot through the wrist wasn't going to stop the show. I had a chance to chat for a sec in the head and and told him, "She's trying to kill you!" He softly laughed and told me that it was an accident and they were both surprised when it went off. On February 13, 1983 Harry was shot dead. Great tune, great man, great waste.

Here's a link to the details of this case and there are a lot of them.
FindACaseâ„¢ | Snow v. State (http://tinyurl.com/3uyaqvm - broken link)

Here's a link that tells of Stormy's childhood and how she and Harry got together etc. LAS VEGAS RJ:NEWS: When the MUSIC fades (http://tinyurl.com/3nstel5 - broken link)

Harry gave me this card shortly before he expired. Great tune...
I never knew Harry, but I remember him, and the murder case. I seem to recall hearing him play at the Showboat Lounge a long time ago.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
LONGGGGG time back.....when Breakfast was 49Cents......

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,305 times
Default "maddog bigler"

Scoop.... I don't know if this is ironic or serendipitous... but my father is said same Bigler.
As well... he is now living in Las Vegas!!!

Drop me a note if you have an interest in hearing stories from him directly.
-Steve Bigler

[please don't post email addresses-- you can be contacted through this site by Direct Message]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have a bumper sticker from back home. It's just too cool to put on a bumper. So, it's taped to the wall in the billiards room.

"Go ahead and tailgate, my lawyer is 'Mad Dog' Bigler."

He was the Florida Keys equivalent of Oscar Goodman.

Last edited by observer53; 11-11-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 03:24 AM

4 posts, read 10,572 times
I knew Harry and his wife from the mid 60's. Got my first SCUBA instructors license from him. Two different worlds he lived in. His entertainment world and his diving world and seldom the twain did meet. I was shocked at his death.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 PM

457 posts, read 660,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I noticed it the other day abnd was amazed it was still there....

It was a Western Bar before it was a strip joint....Johnny Paychek [take this job and shove it] started there and Gabby Shaffer used to play there when he could get time off from
DJ'n at that station that was in the castaways.

The other country bars were Bill Ladds joint over at 5points east....and the one out on Fremont St that became a real trouble spot later....can't remember the name....

There was another one over on Highland also where Bobby....something or other was king
The two places on Fremont/Boulder Hwy were the Silver Dollar and the Nashville Nevada. Originally Country venues, they changed to live rock dance clubs in the mid ' 60's, as Pussycat A GoGo clones.

They are now latin nightspots.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM

457 posts, read 660,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
The Hughes property was original owned by the guy that played LUM on the old Lum & Abner radio show....then it was bought by a German Munitions Magnate named KRUPP ....Krupp financed WWII for the Nazis His wifes name was VERA....Im not sure but what he was tried for war crimes after the war....but VERA ended up in control of it and she lived there until Hughes bought it during the Great HH Land grab....he was buying ANY piece of property on Las Vegas, ANYwhere....for CASH...closing guaranteed in 14 days.....

The Hughes Corp deeded the ranch to the Statre after he died and it became the Spring Mountain Ranch and then Spring Mountain State Park....

Problem with Bonnie is that once you get her started you can't stop her.....
Was this the same location once owned by the George family, of Beverly Hills furrier fame?

The George family is perhaps better known by one of the two sons, Lowell George, lead singer
and guitarist of Little Feat, the most underrated rock group of the late '60's - early '70's. A vague reforming of the group, minus the late Lowell George and other key members, occasionally perform
in the S.Cal area.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 PM

973 posts, read 1,389,123 times
Default Pago, Pago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaschips View Post
There was a bar called the "Pago Pago" near Nellis AFB. It was shaped just like the intersection, really odd. Went there twice maybe in the 70's then *poof* it was gone and that whole interchange was "fixed". Wonder what the story on that place was...

Last edited by Vegaschips; 02-21-2017 at 03:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
I don't know about this thread, but I sure miss Dyni. (the OP)

Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,546 times
"........nite life in Vegas offered the likes of the Elephant Bar, Tramps, Alias Smith and Jones, Carlos Murphy's ...."

Hahaha I remember all those bars and more including the Sports Pub, Calamity Jayne's, Cue-topia....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas