Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:22 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times

Advertisements

Rookie mistake MacG. If you wait in line before they open you will actually expend more time(and energy). All the folks lined up are there early because they need to get to work. Go mid-morning or mid-afternoon, no line, no wait, nada, zilch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
That's weird that people felt the need to wait in line outside (in sleeping bags no less!) I went to the one in Henderson in the middle of the day with barely a 5 minute wait. I couldn't even fill out my form fast enough before I was called to a window. Was I just lucky?
Not luck, you didn't get sucked into the "early bird" trap.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:17 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
WOW! Just as I was looking at the LVRJ website I find this DMV gem:
Backlog for driver's licenses irks many - News - ReviewJournal.com

It looks like a LOT of people are moving to Las Vegas! This is one of those leading indicators and SHOULD be a very good sign for the overall economy... even if it is a bit frustrating for these people in line.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
WOW! Just as I was looking at the LVRJ website I find this DMV gem:
Backlog for driver's licenses irks many - News - ReviewJournal.com

It looks like a LOT of people are moving to Las Vegas! This is one of those leading indicators and SHOULD be a very good sign for the overall economy... even if it is a bit frustrating for these people in line.
If you have a good driving record they waive the driving test, the fact that so many cannot get the test waived should tell you something about the drivers coming to Vegas. Just what we didn't need...

Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
From the article it appears most of these newcomers never had a license, so no driving record to waive the tests.

People are moving to the valley -- there IS NO DOWNSIDE. Fills up houses (rent or buy, doesn't matter), and increases demand. They can't ALL be on unemployment insurance, so that's more money moving around in the economy.

Yep, no downside. Cheer up!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
...the fact that so many cannot get the test waived should tell you something about the drivers coming to Vegas. Just what we didn't need...
You didn't read the article which said "Most of the people waiting to take the driving test are young, first-time drivers."

There was only one older driver (60) mentioned waiting in line.

It's strange that the article didn't dive deeper into what the implications of this influx of people means.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
You didn't read the article which said "Most of the people waiting to take the driving test are young, first-time drivers."

There was only one older driver (60) mentioned waiting in line.

It's strange that the article didn't dive deeper into what the implications of this influx of people means.
So what were you talking about when you said:
"It looks like a LOT of people are moving to Las Vegas!"...?

What does that have to do with anything?

If you move here and have a valid license from another state and you're not a crappy driver you don't need to take a test but quite a few noobs are needing to take the test which means they are/were crappy drivers.

Did you have a head injury recently?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM

My point was about there being such an influx of new people from out of state, (as profiled by the college student in the article) that there are backlogs to getting a license. Sure, some of them must be bad drivers to require the test, but my point was about there being a large number of people coming here which should be beneficial to the overall economy. It's just a leading indicator of how the population may be growing. There is a change and it's for the better, I'd say.

Now if we can just keep them off the road. Heh.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
From an outsider perspective I got the impression that there aren't nearly enough people available to give the tests, rather than there being a large influx of new people.

I also go the impression that your state government is very slow in resolving the problems.... Kinda like here.

The one thing I garnered that seemed ridiculous was that they are considering outside testing (private companies) and allowing them to charge more for the test. It also stated that the government didn't want to hire more workers because of the cost to employ them. Hmmmm. If the state charged everyone more for the test perhaps they would make enough to cover the cost of the extra hires.

I got a kick out of the end of the article where a mother was so glad her son had finally got to take the test... but he failed because he went 5mph over the limit and didn't use his turn signal when he parallel parked. Yeah, there's a kid that really tried to get a pass on the test.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Goin down to Sahara Tuesday to renew my DL.....hoping I live thru this lol
You can renew on-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas