Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 AM
 
2,557 posts, read 4,546,203 times
Reputation: 2228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I am an optimist but I dont think the politicians will help at all. I think the PEOPLE will help themselves out of the mess we are in.
Exactly. A city is not to be thought of as a sinking ship. The struggles a city may go through overall do not directly imply that everyone residing inside the city must suffer equally. In fact, hard economic times can be some of the most fruitful for those with a bit of creativity and determination. The way I see the city and the country as a whole is much like a wild fire that appears to be horrific and devastating. Realistically it serves a very important function of clearing the land so that new more prosperous growth may occur. While in the midst of the fire though, it can be difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Surely many corrupt and impractical ways of going about business are going to continue to come to light so that they may be taken care of but it is all in the name of progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
 
33 posts, read 120,518 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Exactly. A city is not to be thought of as a sinking ship. The struggles a city may go through overall do not directly imply that everyone residing inside the city must suffer equally. In fact, hard economic times can be some of the most fruitful for those with a bit of creativity and determination. The way I see the city and the country as a whole is much like a wild fire that appears to be horrific and devastating. Realistically it serves a very important function of clearing the land so that new more prosperous growth may occur. While in the midst of the fire though, it can be difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Surely many corrupt and impractical ways of going about business are going to continue to come to light so that they may be taken care of but it is all in the name of progress.
I think every great city has to go through hard times. Las Vegas grew up really fast, and is starting to have to change to adapt to the economy and reinvent itself into a world class city. I noticed that since the city started investing in it's downtown area by trying to make it more vibrant and sustainable. I believe Las Vegas years down the line will have good public transportation, higher density, more jobs, a vibrant walkable downtown, and will have a diversified economy. I plan to start a business in Downtown Las Vegas someday. That won't be for a while though, I'm only 20 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 38,031,880 times
Reputation: 2661
Brookings is out for the second quarter. Says good news bad news.

Some improvement but still whacked by unemployment and housing.

Report has good news, bad news - Business - ReviewJournal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,044 posts, read 13,770,420 times
Reputation: 15837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Improving... always glass half full
I'm an engineer. The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,044 posts, read 13,770,420 times
Reputation: 15837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
... It will take years to sell off the excess inventory of houses here and it will be more complicated by the fact that many of the houses that are empty are larger homes designed for families and about the only people moving here are retirees who don't want all that room that they have to pay to air condition...
My former boss moved here for retirement; he bought a ~6500 sf condo @ Turnberry Place.

I retired here, bought a 4800sf house to live in for the next 18 months, and am building a 7000 sf house as we speak. My next door neighbor-to-be is building a 10k+ sf house.

Yes, I know, we are outliers - we are not the typical retirees - but we are not alone. Many of our friends from high-cost areas (Manhattan, Rancho Santa Fe, Atherton, Palo Alto, etc) are in the process of retiring and looking in Las Vegas for retirement homes -- all of whom want larger (>6,000sf) homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 PM
 
699 posts, read 2,208,490 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
There are 2 classes of people in Vegas these days. There are optimists who naively think that the politicians are going to fix this mess and then there are the apathetic ones who simple don't care about anything other than shoveling dirt-water hotdogs in their fat faces.
interesting perspective. which one are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
 
2,724 posts, read 4,747,065 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
interesting perspective. which one are you?
Realist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR / Las Vegas, NV
1,818 posts, read 3,820,370 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
There are 2 classes of people in Vegas these days. There are optimists who naively think that the politicians are going to fix this mess and then there are the apathetic ones who simple don't care about anything other than shoveling dirt-water hotdogs in their fat faces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
interesting perspective. which one are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Realist
So, there are more than two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM
 
2,724 posts, read 4,747,065 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
So, there are more than two?
...not all are sheep that follow blindly






Welcome Home
Idiotville, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR / Las Vegas, NV
1,818 posts, read 3,820,370 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
...not all are sheep that follow blindly


Welcome Home
Idiotville, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Really? I'm flattered that you went to the effort to find that for me. What a life you must have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top