Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

Compared to 2010 or 2009 is the jobs picture improving?

How about rent?

Las Vegas Business Press :: News : Executive Snapshot: Andy Katz

Quote:
I feel a change right now, for some reason. It feels like there's more positive energy. I'm a believer in this country and I'm a believer in Las Vegas. We've been through recessions before -- nothing this bad, obviously. I think it's on the top of everybody's list: let's get people back to work. I think what this whole catastrophe taught everybody is, "Let's stay flexible, maybe not commit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Improving... always glass half full

Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I think its idle right now but eventually someone is going to mash the gas peddle.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM

699 posts, read 2,218,426 times
we're chuggin along. and yes, it's better than it has been.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM

88 posts, read 132,553 times
It's mostly placebo, for anyone that feels any "real" improvement.

Sure, there is some work out there. But the unemployment rate is still through the roof. There are still jobs shuttered midway through construction. There are still companies struggling as much as ever to keep their employees going.

Being the epicenter for the financial meltdown, Vegas is also intricately tied into the economic pulse of the rest of the country - and with no ability to artificially "boom" out of it (due to thousands of vacant homes), it will recover slower than the rest of the country.

This isn't some sort of conjecture or opinion, it's a fact based upon the fact that the Vegas economy relies on two things: tourism and growth. Things may be stabilizing to an extent right now, but there' a LOT of signs that this entire mess could absolutely get uglier, before it gets better. And as the rest of the country goes, goes Nevada.

There's a reason that every single map out there pegs Las Vegas as one of the slowest-recovering areas in the country - because it is.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

399 posts, read 693,578 times
Slowly improving unless you're out of work. There are way too many on-call, part-time jobs. Can't make it on part-time jobs and you have no chance for insurance.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,655 times
I think that it is better than two years ago.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:47 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Compared to 2010 or 2009 is the jobs picture improving?

How about rent?

Las Vegas Business Press :: News : Executive Snapshot: Andy Katz
Gaming and tourism are improving. I know lots of people in the business and they ALL say things are better this year than last and we are having more sold out days this year. That said, real estate will be a drag here for years to come. It will take years to sell off the excess inventory of houses here and it will be more complicated by the fact that many of the houses that are empty are larger homes designed for families and about the only people moving here are retirees who don't want all that room that they have to pay to air condition. So the glass is half full. Hotels are filling up more, houses less.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,354 times
There are 2 classes of people in Vegas these days. There are optimists who naively think that the politicians are going to fix this mess and then there are the apathetic ones who simple don't care about anything other than shoveling dirt-water hotdogs in their fat faces.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
There are 2 classes of people in Vegas these days. There are optimists who naively think that the politicians are going to fix this mess and then there are the apathetic ones who simple don't care about anything other than shoveling dirt-water hotdogs in their fat faces.
I am an optimist but I dont think the politicians will help at all. I think the PEOPLE will help themselves out of the mess we are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: