Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 19,981 times

Advertisements

I frequently travel to Vegas (3-4 times a year), and usually get a large and expensive hotel room in the heart of the strip for a week or so. I've never owned a condo before and I know next to nothing about real estate as an investment. For personal reasons, I'd love a place at the Veer or the Cosmopolitan. I assume that, using a management company, I would attempt to have renters in it often enough to pay for the mortgage. Long term, I don't care if I can sell it at a profit. I just want a place to call home which I can use each time I come to Vegas and not have to "waste" money on luxury hotel rooms. What's the likelihood that I can have my dream vacation condo and be confident that it doesn't become a money pit? And where do I find someone who can guide me through the process, who will have my interests at heart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclurejones View Post
I frequently travel to Vegas (3-4 times a year), and usually get a large and expensive hotel room in the heart of the strip for a week or so. I've never owned a condo before and I know next to nothing about real estate as an investment. For personal reasons, I'd love a place at the Veer or the Cosmopolitan. I assume that, using a management company, I would attempt to have renters in it often enough to pay for the mortgage. Long term, I don't care if I can sell it at a profit. I just want a place to call home which I can use each time I come to Vegas and not have to "waste" money on luxury hotel rooms. What's the likelihood that I can have my dream vacation condo and be confident that it doesn't become a money pit? And where do I find someone who can guide me through the process, who will have my interests at heart?
Nobody has your interest at heart. Only your money. Especially here.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
There are two kinds of condos on the strip...regular condos and condo-hotels. In general if you wish to use it you probably need a condo-hotel. Straight condos are generally leased for long periods.

In general few of these condos are mortgagable. It is pretty much a cash purchase. There are a few exceptions...but very few.

Cosmo and Veer are not avaiable in any quantity. At the moment there is one for sale in Cosmo for 1.6 million. None in Veer. I don't expect you will see any large number as most are being leased or worked into the hotel.

There are of course others...Allure, Sky, Panorama, The Martin. Financing will be a problem in all.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There are two kinds of condos on the strip...regular condos and condo-hotels. In general if you wish to use it you probably need a condo-hotel. Straight condos are generally leased for long periods.

In general few of these condos are mortgagable. It is pretty much a cash purchase. There are a few exceptions...but very few.

Cosmo and Veer are not avaiable in any quantity. At the moment there is one for sale in Cosmo for 1.6 million. None in Veer. I don't expect you will see any large number as most are being leased or worked into the hotel.

There are of course others...Allure, Sky, Panorama, The Martin. Financing will be a problem in all.
Is the reason that they are not mortgagable because lenders consider them high risk with a low resale value in case of default? That tells me that I won't be able to resell mine.

Why isn't Veer opening up more condos? Is it because the market is so poor that they're just sitting on them until they can get a better price for them in the future?

You're right, I'd like a hotel-condo--some place that when I'm not using, the hotel or a management company can rent out. Last time I was in Vegas with family, we looked at the MGM Signature. They have such condos. I just didn't like the location.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
Two things you can't get rid of,
Herpes and Condos.

Jonathan

Old 09-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Two things you can't get rid of,
Herpes and Condos.

Jonathan
Sounds like in Las Vegas, those two things may come as a package deal.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,885 times
Investment... no.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Is the reason that they are not mortgagable because lenders consider them high risk with a low resale value in case of default? That tells me that I won't be able to resell mine.
Mostly a question of owner occupied versus renters. FHA has guidelines that these places can't meet. Once in a while you find a Fannie May or Freddie Mac that comes with financing. You may also be able to find private money with high down and high interest rate.

Quote:
Why isn't Veer opening up more condos? Is it because the market is so poor that they're just sitting on them until they can get a better price for them in the future?
Can't sell them so waiting for an upturn. Leasing in the interim. It will be a long while.
Quote:
You're right, I'd like a hotel-condo--some place that when I'm not using, the hotel or a management company can rent out. Last time I was in Vegas with family, we looked at the MGM Signature. They have such condos. I just didn't like the location.
Platinum, Trump, Palm, Signature. The only one I think rational is the Signature. The Platinum might work but is off the strip.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 PM

508 posts, read 1,022,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Platinum, Trump, Palm, Signature. The only one I think rational is the Signature. The Platinum might work but is off the strip.
I am sorry but platinum looks like a clean motel 6 at best. That place is so... ick.

Trump is beautiful Signature has a really nice lobby and the rooms are nice... the PALM IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THE PALM.... i actually found a studio condo that i loved in there for a price i loved but uhmmm cant change stuff in a condo hotel and i would want my things... my furniture, my colors etc... yeah I LOVE THE PALM. and the HOA fees were pretty reasonable...

did i mention i love the palm?????

Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
I really do NOT understand the logic of a 'condo hotel' you pay up front say $250,000 for a hunk of air, that is your hotel room (at $50-100 a night, if you just got a hotel room) as long as you like or if you live there 365 days a year, then in 7 years you have a ROI.

Otherwise if your not there, the hotel 'rents' out 'your' place and they give you $x ?

Oh in exchange, you can't customize it, or put any of your things in it, so when you come into town, its exactly like a hotel room, except you can say "But I payed $250,000 up front for the priv"

maybe i am just unaware of how things work

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: