Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times

Advertisements

I'm contingent on two short sale homes. One home is located in Northshores in the Spinnaker subdivision; located at the northwest corner of Cheyenne and Cimmaron. I like the neighborhood, it's nice and quiet from what I can tell. Not gated, although I prefer gated it's by no means a deal breaker. I love the house as well. We're in the - negotiator has approved the price and sent off to investors - stage of the short sale process. So it's coming down to the end.

The second home is located in Montaire (Summerlin 89134). Gated community, located on TPC Summerlin Golf Course. Location, Location, Location is big with this house. Of course I like the house as well. BUT, big but; the previous buyers walked just before closing because a pipe bust in the upstairs master bedroom bathroom and flooded the house.

Insurance is paying for all the repairs. Being OCD (liking near perfection lol) this is a stretch for me. But it is a very nice home in a very nice location. I will be provided the number of the general contractor doing the job so that I can ask them questions. Of course there are a lot of questions, mold remediation (if any, they have torn out sheet rock), etc etc. I have a link to the pictures that were taken inside about a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a handy man type of man BTW. Opinions? Thank you for all responses. Here is the link
House pictures by timtresa - Photobucket

Any opinions on Montaire in general would be appreciated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
The contractors are going to be paid BY THE JOB. (Hanging sheetrock, texturing, painting, etc.)

So, they're going to make sure they spend as little time and money as possible to complete the job, so they keep the maximum amount from insurance.

If I couldn't do the work myself, or choose the contractors, I wouldn't bother.

Although, this would be an IDEAL time to run a central vacuum system, wire the whole house for sound, or install CAT-5e or CAT-6 next to every phone jack.

Me, I think drywall is fairly easy to do. Matching the texture is slightly harder, but no big thing. And painting is painting. But if the insurance company hires monkeys to do the work, the replacement panels are going to be as noticeable as Frankenstein's scars.

No chance they'll sell the house to you as-is (at a significantly reduced price) and let you go about fixing it? (Or having it fixed?)

Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM

ScoopLV,
No, they've already started the process. Now the previous buyers might have had a chance to pick the contractors. The only thing they said that I might be able to pick out is the flooring.

But yeah, I was thinking the same as you; they'll do the minimum to get the most money. In a situation like this, I would the VERY BEST.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
I'm agreeing with ScoopLV, take 10 grand off the house, Buy it "as is" and YOU do the work, YOU hire the contractors, etc

Jonathan

Old 09-19-2011, 06:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
If it is on the golf course side of Eagle Ridge go for it. We have sold a couple of houses in Montaire and consider it one of the nicer subdivision for those without large budgets.

The house does not appear to have anything more than water damage. That says they ripped everything out in a day or two. If so it is pretty safe. In a badly damaged house you get dark studs and obvious patches of mold.

A number of the remediation guys are quite good. They don't want a problem with their work. Get someone good in to inspect and make them do over anything not right. There is actually nothing more obvious than bad wall board. If they won't do it right don't buy the house. What could be simpler?

Go to Critterium Mcwilliam for an inspector. Tell them you want a good job of fixing. They will give you exactly what you need. Not cheap...but good insurance.

And a very nice neighborhood if it works out.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I'm agreeing with ScoopLV, take 10 grand off the house, Buy it "as is" and YOU do the work, YOU hire the contractors, etc

Jonathan
I'd ask for $20K and settle for $15. Most drywall guys charge by the square foot. At least the licensed, legal ones. I've got a buddy who does that -- if anyone's interested, I'll ask him what he gets, and the going range.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
how much is the asking price of that property in Eagle Ridge?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
I have a great sheetrock guy he gets $35 a hr.

Jonathan

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the responses and tips, I'll do my due diligence that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas