Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM

40 posts, read 221,200 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--

I'm making my first trip to Vegas next week to visit my friend who moved there 10 months ago. I will be in town for ten days and I need ideas of things to do.

When I travel, I like to see up-and-coming areas that have galleries and local flavor. I hate tourist destinations (don't get me wrong, I will probably get into some trouble on The Strip). Does anyone have any suggestions? Does Vegas have any gallery hops, first fridays, final fridays, or anything of the sorts?

I will be staying on the north side, near 95 and the Las Vegas Beltway. From what I understand, there aren't any public transportation options in this area. So if there is anything in this area particularly, I would be glad to hear them. My friend will have to work during my visit, so I will need to keep myself busy for part of my stay,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
here are some things on the est side of town... not sure about the location to your home.

theatre7lv.com | Arthouse Films, Live Theatre & Art Gallery, 1406 S. 3rd St
Springs Preserve - Official Web Site
First Friday Map (http://www.firstfriday-lasvegas.org/firstfridaymap.html - broken link)

Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Las Vegas Art Galleries

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm so glad to see there is a first friday, and I will be in town that day, too

MSchu, is the East side an up-and-coming area?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsoncd View Post
No, not really. It is a well-established Latin enclave. Hasn't really changed much in 15 years.

It's been linked, but do check out the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art. Usually impressionist and post-impressionist exhibitions. The sort of stuff I like best.

Many of the Cirque shows are quite good, as well. It's worth seeing at least one. "O" is a good one to start with. And Google the Las Vegas Symphony. Maybe you'll catch a break and they're playing while you're here.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
Quote:
I'm so glad to see there is a first friday, and I will be in town that day, too

it depends on where east you are talking.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
it depends on where east you are talking.
The east side that you mentioned in your post.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 AM

47 posts, read 66,600 times
Quote:
Hi everyone--

I'm making my first trip to Vegas next week to visit my friend who moved there 10 months ago. I will be in town for ten days and I need ideas of things to do.

When I travel, I like to see up-and-coming areas that have galleries and local flavor. I hate tourist destinations (don't get me wrong, I will probably get into some trouble on The Strip). Does anyone have any suggestions? Does Vegas have any gallery hops, first fridays, final fridays, or anything of the sorts?

I will be staying on the north side, near 95 and the Las Vegas Beltway. From what I understand, there aren't any public transportation options in this area. So if there is anything in this area particularly, I would be glad to hear them. My friend will have to work during my visit, so I will need to keep myself busy for part of my stay,

Hey Jason. I have literally just bought my house in Las Vegas and the arts scene there is better than you might think. It's mostly centred on the Downtown area. There are quite a few artists living in the Winchester and Paradise Palms areas, too. Basically anywhere there are cool, 1960s houses. But most of the galleries are in downtown, although many have had financial trouble because of the Financial Crisis. It's a pity you don't have a car, but check out downtown and definitely attend a First Friday if you're there. Here's a really good blog with lots of info on the Vegas art scene
Las Vegas Arts and Culture

Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's been linked, but do check out the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art. Usually impressionist and post-impressionist exhibitions. The sort of stuff I like best.
I seem to remember that the Venetian also had a nice gallery. It's been a few years so...

It was inside the front doors then to the right.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
I really don't think we have what you're looking for, but downtown, as has been said a'ready, is the closest thing. And the BGFA. If you are here this coming weekend, try to make it out to Art in The Park in Boulder City. That is probably our biggest and best art festival...crafts too. I'm a jaded local and never get tired of Art in The Park.

BCH | Find information on the hospital Foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas