Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 PM

222 posts, read 385,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Is this true? Where can I find the data/article/report?
I don't have any data to back that up (I'm sure it's out there, but I'm too lazy to look). I'm just a railfan/rail photographer that has watched freight traffic on the former LA&SL drop from 30+ in 24 hours when I moved here in 2003 to 6-8 per day now, especially as the UPRR double tracking projects across the more southerly Sunset Route have been completed and traffic has been rerouted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM

232 posts, read 496,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
I don't have any data to back that up (I'm sure it's out there, but I'm too lazy to look). I'm just a railfan/rail photographer that has watched freight traffic on the former LA&SL drop from 30+ in 24 hours when I moved here in 2003 to 6-8 per day now, especially as the UPRR double tracking projects across the more southerly Sunset Route have been completed and traffic has been rerouted.
So they're doubling the track between SLC and LA?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 PM

222 posts, read 385,100 times
Quote:
So they're doubling the track between SLC and LA?
No, they've been double tracking portions of their (UPRR's) main transcontinental route, called the "Sunset Route," between Dallas, TX and LA. The increased capacity on this preferred route into SoCal, due to double tracking, has allowed the UP to pull freight trains off the former LA&SL line (which goes from SLC to LA via Las Vegas) and re-route them via their own rails all the way to LA (these trains, if routed via Vegas, run on UP rails to Yermo, CA where they then use BNSF trackage rights down Cajon Pass and into West Colton).

Any way you slice it, the former LA&SL line between Yermo and Salt Lake sees a fraction of the freight traffic it did ten years ago, and could easily support Amtrak service -- the question is, would anyone use it?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 PM

The Desert Wind Encore?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Dream Amtrak route? One that leads the trains (one way) to the scrap yard.

Since we're dreaming, I'd rather have self driving electric cars that are aware of their surroundings and other vehicles. If every car had this capability we could scrap traffic lights, speed limits and traffic cops. Cars could be networked to drive inches from the next car and intersections could be timed so that no vehicles would have to stop. Congestion could be managed automatically as well. Additionally, cars could travel at the highest appropriate speed for the conditions.

Commute times would be minimized, energy would be saved, existing infrastructure would be used to its highest potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_eVE...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Danknee; 09-24-2011 at 03:07 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Dream Amtrak route? One that leads the trains (one way) to the scrap yard.

Since we're dreaming, I'd rather have self driving electric cars that are aware of their surroundings and other vehicles. If every car had this capability we could scrap traffic lights, speed limits and traffic cops. Cars could be networked to drive inches from the next car and intersections could be timed so that no vehicles would have to stop. Congestion could be managed automatically as well. Additionally, cars could travel at the highest appropriate speed for the conditions.

Commute times would be minimized, energy would be saved, existing infrastructure would be used to its highest potential.

Inside Google's Self-Driving Car - YouTube
Do you even hear yourself...?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Do you even hear yourself...?
Dream big or go home.

Oh wait, I meant they should take Amtrak right to the strip. Heck, they could just tunnel right under it......

Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Dream big or go home.

Oh wait, I meant they should take Amtrak right to the strip. Heck, they could just tunnel right under it......
Sounds a lot more practical than you're '200 years from now' dream of self driving vehicles that every single person on the road has. Harmon Towers going down why not build a station there.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Sounds a lot more practical than you're '200 years from now' dream of self driving vehicles that every single person on the road has. Harmon Towers going down why not build a station there.
Look at the youtube Google car clip I linked above, it isn't that far off. Roughly 25 years, based on what I've seen using the time machine in my garage.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Because THEN you'd have CAESARS and MGM and WYNN alll whinning "Thgat's not fairrrrr, how come THEY get a stop."

and BINGO you have the Monorail. and we all know what a success THAT is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: