Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 AM

47 posts, read 66,203 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I posted on this forum some months back and got some good advice. I'm an Australian who has just bought a beautiful mid-modern vacation home in Paradise Palms. I absolutely adore it. But... I need to get my utilities connected and it seems the electricity and gas companies etc. all demand a Social Security Number before they will connect. Because I'm a foreigner, I don't have one. Does anyone know of any way around this? I hope I haven't bought a beautiful mid-modern home that I am now forced to light with candles and heat with wood fires! I realise this may not even be the forum for this question, but I'm trying all avenues. If anyone here has any experience as a foreigner trying to do something like this, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,611,489 times
i think your passport # will be ok to use.
tell them your situation, I am SURE they will accommodate you

Jonathan

Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM

700 posts, read 1,324,828 times
There is a law somewhere that states you dont have to give out your social security number. That doesnt help your specific situation, but for others outside of applying for credit (which is why they may want it???) situations and maybe some law enforcement situations, you dont have to give out your social security number.
Like the poster above said there is something they will take for sure. Just like everyone else in Las Vegas, they want your money.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,750,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
Hi everyone. I posted on this forum some months back and got some good advice. I'm an Australian who has just bought a beautiful mid-modern vacation home in Paradise Palms. I absolutely adore it. But... I need to get my utilities connected and it seems the electricity and gas companies etc. all demand a Social Security Number before they will connect. Because I'm a foreigner, I don't have one. Does anyone know of any way around this? I hope I haven't bought a beautiful mid-modern home that I am now forced to light with candles and heat with wood fires! I realise this may not even be the forum for this question, but I'm trying all avenues. If anyone here has any experience as a foreigner trying to do something like this, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch guys
Can I(U.S. citizen) buy a "vacation" home in Australia? No? How is that fair? Reciprocity?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:30 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,703,312 times
Im sure the SS number is only for the utility company to run a credit check to determine if a deposit is needed for the account. If you can prove through fax that you are the owner or leasing the residence. I am sure you will get utility service established with a deposit required.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,800,883 times
I am sure Shaggers is not the first non US citizen who moved to Las Vegas. Try Google NV Power web site I am sure they have the info there and what process is used for our foreign friends who move there or any where else in the US. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM

328 posts, read 601,117 times
Just use your kangaroo's social.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times
Having been in utilities billing for many years, I can't imagine that they would
not give you service (and credit) if you gave them a deposit in lieu of the SS number. In fact, despite this being a credit application of sorts I would never give my SS# to a utility, nor have I ever been asked for it before in either CA or WA. Unlike credit card companies and car dealers, there is a big chance of it falling into the wrong hands. Many people other than those handling the billing may have access to the customer data, such as maintenance, engineering, and finance. Most will accept proof of prior service with another utility in your name, or simply your job information. Perhaps those in Las Vegas have had been burned lately withy a lot of delinquencies?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:20 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,996,609 times
What is the experience with new residents? I looked at the NVenergy website, and doing the new user hookup online asked for your SS#. Are there ways around that, do you call in?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 PM

82 posts, read 202,546 times
The reality of the matter is that you will need a Social Security number time and again for just about any service, be it phone, cable TV, gas, water, etc. Yes, it's stupid but that's the way it's done. With no US credit history, most of these companies will want a deposit in addition to your Social Security number.

The good news - ANYBODY can get a social security number, see Application for a Social Security Card

There's a Social Security card office at 1250 South Buffalo. You'll get a number assigned immediately and a card mailed to you in about 2 weeks. No big deal, it's free and doesn't create any obligations for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: