Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,229,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
hey buzz...thanks for the info on getting Big Jim's in LV (and for the recipe).

you are right that Hatch chiles are the best, but the 'expert' who told you to spell chile with an 'i' was probably from texas (to be read not new mexican therefore not to be trusted about chile ). the correct spelling is w/o question w/ an 'e'.

trust me on this...i grew up in new mexico - my blood runs chistmas (tasty mix of NM green and red chile). chili is the anglo spelling (and pronounciation) of the bastardized spanish pronounciation...it should be chile = chi-ley; not chili = chil-ee

that being said, most people pronounce Nevada like anglos also (ne-vaa-da instead of ne-vah-da)...i never realized that until i started looking at places in LV and people told me that i was pronouncing it wrong (lotsa people). i'm working on it.

regardless, thank you very much again for the info...i would love to get some hatch chile w/o having to make the drive...of course if i make the drive i can get sopapillas...OMG, does garduno's give you sopapillas w/ your meal?
Garduños is about the only place I know of in Las Vegas where you get sopapillas with the meal. I think you can get them as dessert in a few others. There might be a New Mexico restaurant or two around town now but the only one I used to frequent closed, so I don't know. If you find one please let me know.

I learned that spelling of chili/chile when I lived in Albuquerque for three years and worked in Santa Fe. Then these two sites from the NEW MEXICAN growers in Hatch confirmed it. So which ever is correct, I don't care as long as I can always find some to stash away for the winter. I order the Shed red sauce from them, and ordered El Pinto sauce until I discovered that stores like Albertson's sell it here.

Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Chile Gifts and more!
and New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, Chile Gifts and more!

You might also enjoy these links to the El Pinto site and the Sadie's site: El Pinto - World Famous Salsa & Green Chile Sauce and Mexican food salsa products - New Mexican Salsa and Red or Green Chile Sauce - Hatch green chiles, hot salsa, jalepenos, chile peppers, chili products, tortilla chips and sopapillas recipe mix

And I'm glad you learned that the local pronunciation is Nev adda...not the correct Spanish pronunciation, Ne vah dah, which sounds too affectatious to western ears.

BTW: The country of Chile is spelled Chilé and pronounced Chee' lay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,406,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Garduños is about the only place I know of in Las Vegas where you get sopapillas with the meal. I think you can get them as dessert in a few others. There might be a New Mexico restaurant or two around town now but the only one I used to frequent closed, so I don't know. If you find one please let me know.

I learned that spelling of chili/chile when I lived in Albuquerque for three years and worked in Santa Fe. Then these two sites from the NEW MEXICAN growers in Hatch confirmed it. So which ever is correct, I don't care as long as I can always find some to stash away for the winter. I order the Shed red sauce from them, and ordered El Pinto sauce until I discovered that stores like Albertson's sell it here.

Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Chile Gifts and more!
and New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, Chile Gifts and more!

You might also enjoy these links to the El Pinto site and the Sadie's site: El Pinto - World Famous Salsa & Green Chile Sauce and Mexican food salsa products - New Mexican Salsa and Red or Green Chile Sauce - Hatch green chiles, hot salsa, jalepenos, chile peppers, chili products, tortilla chips and sopapillas recipe mix

And I'm glad you learned that the local pronunciation is Nev adda...not the correct Spanish pronunciation, Ne vah dah, which sounds too affectatious to western ears.

BTW: The country of Chile is spelled Chilé and pronounced Chee' lay.
hey! how did you get the tilde to appear over your 'n'?...everytime i try it it looks like n~ or ~n

good to hear about the potential for NM food....i have a tear in my eye and a growling in my stomach just thinking about it.

and i agree...i don't care how it is spelled (chile/chili) so long as it is from NM. it has been a while since i have been to Garduno's...how is their carne adovada?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,150,926 times
Quote:
hey! how did you get the tilde to appear over your 'n'?...everytime i try it it looks like n~ or ~n

good to hear about the potential for NM food....i have a tear in my eye and a growling in my stomach just thinking about it.

and i agree...i don't care how it is spelled (chile/chili) so long as it is from NM. it has been a while since i have been to Garduno's...how is their carne adovada?
The thing is, if you spell it "chile," you mean the long green or red capsaicin-rich member of the pepper family, and if you spell it "chili," you mean the spicy meat stew.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,150,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

This makes 14 to 16 relleños. Assuming the chilis are already roasted, place a little Monterrey Jack cheese inside each one. Beat the whites of five or six eggs until slightly stiff, but not too stiff. Add some salt and pepper to taste, plus two tablespoons of WHITE flour (easy on the flour and don't use whole wheat), and the yolks (we only use two for color), and beat some more. Now dip the entire pepper into the batter and fry slowly in very little oil.

If the peppers are not roasted you can burn the skins under your broiler. Keep turning and try not to burn off the tails (the tails look better on and it gives you a handle). Once the skins look like they will peel easily (there should be some burning), cool the peppers in a brown paper bag. After they are cool, peel the skins and rinse out the seeds gently so the tail stays on and the pepper doesn't fall apart. If you like the seeds leave them in. The heat of a pepper comes from the membranous strands that the seeds are attached to; so if you can't take the heat, pull that out of the chilis. When roasting in the broiler I suggest you open all the doors and windows and turn on a lot of fans. Then leave the house and go about a block away, as it will burn eyes, nose, and throat. Just kidding...but it is strong enough to make you cry.
I'd also add that mixing the egg whites in a copper bowl helps make them peaked and stiff. Also, poblano peppers are really nice for rellenos.

There's almost nothing that makes the house smell nicer than roasting chiles.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,889,940 times
Another California legend we have here in NV is Golden Spoon. I'm not sure if you're a fan, but we have a couple out here.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Another California legend we have here in NV is Golden Spoon. I'm not sure if you're a fan, but we have a couple out here.
i am unaware of their work...i will have to investigate. any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 PM

697 posts, read 3,271,540 times
Quote:
so not lame...i would miss them too. gimme a double double animal style!

good to know they are in LV as well.
Well as long as it's not lame. Give me a Double Double Animal style and do the same to the fries. Throw in a chocholate shake too. I'm hungry thinking about it. November cannot come soon enough. We have already planned In-N-Out as dinner the first night in town.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Well as long as it's not lame. Give me a Double Double Animal style and do the same to the fries. Throw in a chocholate shake too. I'm hungry thinking about it. November cannot come soon enough. We have already planned In-N-Out as dinner the first night in town.
yeah...forgot about the fry treatment.

my favorite shake, though, is the neopolitan...mix all that goodness together!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,229,346 times
Quote:

ñ is achieved by holding down the alt key and typing 164.

Garduño's tones down their carne adovada for the touristas but it's warm enough if you aren't used to really hot food. They also make posole and green chile/chili stew. I haven't been in a while, but last time the service wasn't up the Albuquerque standards by any means. It's hard for them to find people here who understand New Mexican food.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 PM

818 posts, read 3,688,076 times
I know this is a Las Vegas forum, but since the thread has already been hijacked, allow me to recommend the best Mexican/New Mexican food I've ever had. If you're ever in Albuquerque, stop by El Modelo on 2nd Street. You will be blown away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas