Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,407,595 times

Advertisements

ok...u guys have been really helpful so far w/r to bars and dogs....let tackle something else i hold dear....good eats! one of the biggest things i will miss about LA is the abundance and variety of food. i know LV has got to have some great places as well.

i will be living in the huntridge area, so places around there or that maybe deliver to that area would be a bonus. here are some starters, but please throw in places you think deserve a look. **oh yeah...i LOVE spicy food...nothing will be too hot**(one of the things i won't miss about LA is that no one here will make me SPICY HOT food..very rarely will i ever get anything that makes me sweat...unless i make it myself)

Thai (i have heard good stuff about lotus of siam on sahara)
Pho (esp. if they also have the good french bread sanwhiches)
Korean BBQ
Korean sundubu (couldn't find anything promising online...may have to make trips to LA to get it )
Sushi (any chance of good cheap sushi? i'm sure i can get good stuff if i pay for it, but be nice to find cheap stuff that isn't scary)
Indian
hawaiian
mexican (i have no doubt there are TONS of small places...any of the ones i have randomly tried while there were good)
new mexican (must have New Mexico green chile as a staple of the cooking)
BBQ (a good BBQ place is a must....it just takes so long to make your own)
cajun/creole
chicken and waffles?

hit me w/ your knowledge, people!

thx.

**i move officially in two weeks...looking fwd to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,442,658 times
"Vegas's Unique Restaurants"
Unique Vegas Restaurants (http://www.faroutvegas.com/new_page_10.htm - broken link)

Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,894,789 times
Vegas has great food.

I live on the West Side, but I can offer some personal recommendations in case you're ever on this side of town..

I'm a big sushi buff. If you're in the mood for someplace cool with ambiance, Sapporo is awesome. Everyone I've taken there loves it. They have half-priced sushi during happy hour (which is I think 4-7), and lots of other great Pacific Rim treats. The food is amazing quality, and there's rarely ever a wait. It's located on the 215 and Flamingo.

And for a chicken-and-waffles kind of place, Hash House A Go Go is really popular. (Sahara and Rainbow).

I'm not sure if you like Greek/Turkish food, but Paymon's is another great restaurant to try. It's really good. (Sahara and Cimarron, I think).

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM

thx for the tips, radraja and PT.

i'll definitely investigate the sushi place. i checked out the hash house website, and it seems more upscale than what i am picturing for chicken and waffles...i'm thinking more like Roscoe's - good southern fried chicken w/ great waffles and awesome sides (love the biscuits, greens, and sweet potatos...and the gravy w/ onions....mmmmm arterycloggericious /drool)

Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM

818 posts, read 3,689,629 times
Lotus of Siam is located in the Commercial Center on W. Sahara - also in this center is Komol - a thai/chinese restaurant that specializes in vegetarian cooking, but their entire menu is outstanding! The wife and I have takeout from there all the time.

New Mexican - there is a Garduno's in the Palms and also at the Fiesta Rancho.

Indian - I like the India Palace buffet on Twain, but nothing beats the Samosa Factory on W. Sahara.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM

garduno's definitley has a chance of getting me my chile fix....hopefully they will remain authentic and not go w/ cheaper CA green chile.

muchas gracias, chest!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 PM

818 posts, read 3,689,629 times
You can also buy frozen green chile in most supermarkets - either Bueno or Albuquerque Chile Co.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:59 PM

697 posts, read 3,272,806 times
I know this sounds lame, but I am looking forward to In-N-Out burger. That is the one thing I miss most from SoCal.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM

207 posts, read 905,242 times
I've been using the LV Review Journal's eforums Dining Reviews section for help on finding good local spots. Plenty of old posts there but also a ton good nuggets of info.

My girlfriend and I went to Buffet at Asia on W Sahara and Rainbow today and I gotta say it was the best asian buffet so far. I am a mongolian BBQ junkie and it was good for the spice lover. Very busy at 1:30 pm so we were seated in their bar area but service was quick, very nice variety from sushi to pizza, and delicious all around.

In-N-Out burger on W Sahara is our favorite late night spot. Safer than our first ever trip to the one on W Charleston where there was a shooting two hours after we left.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,152,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
ok...u guys have been really helpful so far w/r to bars and dogs....let tackle something else i hold dear....good eats! one of the biggest things i will miss about LA is the abundance and variety of food. i know LV has got to have some great places as well.

i will be living in the huntridge area, so places around there or that maybe deliver to that area would be a bonus. here are some starters, but please throw in places you think deserve a look. **oh yeah...i LOVE spicy food...nothing will be too hot**(one of the things i won't miss about LA is that no one here will make me SPICY HOT food..very rarely will i ever get anything that makes me sweat...unless i make it myself)

Thai (i have heard good stuff about lotus of siam on sahara)
Pho (esp. if they also have the good french bread sanwhiches)
Korean BBQ
Korean sundubu (couldn't find anything promising online...may have to make trips to LA to get it )
Sushi (any chance of good cheap sushi? i'm sure i can get good stuff if i pay for it, but be nice to find cheap stuff that isn't scary)
Indian
hawaiian
mexican (i have no doubt there are TONS of small places...any of the ones i have randomly tried while there were good)
new mexican (must have New Mexico green chile as a staple of the cooking)
BBQ (a good BBQ place is a must....it just takes so long to make your own)
cajun/creole
chicken and waffles?

hit me w/ your knowledge, people!

thx.

**i move officially in two weeks...looking fwd to it!
For your Korean food, I recommend Chinatown, which is basically a series of interconnected strip malls around Spring Mountain and (roughly) Decatur, if memory serves.

For cheap sushi, there's a little Bento place near the university. If you're in Huntridge, that's just south on Maryland Parkway. The place is called Cafe Mitz.

For Indian, I highly recommend Gandhi's Indian Cuisine on Flamingo and Paradise. Their buffet rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas