Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Everything was fine. We have great neighbors who looked out for our house. We let them use the pool in exchange

Also, we do have an alarm system that is monitored.
I hate to be a wet blanket, but you are leaving yourself open for a huge lawsuit by giving the neighbors access to the pool, especially if you are not there to play lifeguard. But you can also be sued if kids illegally break into your pool area when no one is home and someone drowns. It's known as an attractive nuisance I believe. Anything for lawyers to be able to get money out of the victim instead of the perps.

There are drownings every year in Las Vegas pools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket, but you are leaving yourself open for a huge lawsuit by giving the neighbors access to the pool, especially if you are not there to play lifeguard. But you can also be sued if kids illegally break into your pool area when no one is home and someone drowns. It's known as an attractive nuisance I believe. Anything for lawyers to be able to get money out of the victim instead of the perps.

There are drownings every year in Las Vegas pools.
Cite a source. Urban legend I suspect. You can be liable for an injury to a guest whether you are present or not. That's life. Those who are trespassers have an almost impossible job of collecting unless you rigged a booby trap or such.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
...like a big housetrap!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
...like a big housetrap!
The famous one is the hardware store that wired a skylight and electrocuted the burglar. He went to the pen.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Cite a source. Urban legend I suspect. You can be liable for an injury to a guest whether you are present or not. That's life. Those who are trespassers have an almost impossible job of collecting unless you rigged a booby trap or such.
Well, I can't cite a source offhand but I've read stories in the paper. When it comes to kids the law takes a different view than they would an adult burglar.

I didn't mean they can't sue if you are present. I meant that if you are present you would probably keep an eye on people in the pool in case of emergency. And, I wasn't sure if she was saying they let the neighbors use the pool while they were gone on vacation or while she was home.

I got this bit of information from an insurance adjuster: If you put up a sign warning people of a dangerous dog, when he bites someone they'll nail you because you admitted that you knew the dog was dangerous.

I used to work with a bunch of lawyers. It gets stranger than that.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Home Comfort and Security » Home Security Tips On this site I found:

[color="Red"]Having a pool is fun for the entire family, but there are necessary home security measures that cannot be ignored by anyone who has permission to swim. For instance, there should be a telephone located somewhere close to the pool in case of disaster. There should be a fence or some sort of barrier surrounding the pool, making it difficult for young children to get to the pool, fall in, and possibly drown. The fence around the pool area is required by most cities and you can be fined for not following regulation if they ever decide to pay you a visit. Your home security efforts will never be foolproof and accidents do happen, but at least you will know you did everything you could.

Owning a home is a sure fire way to know that you have reached adulthood, but you have to be willing to take the measures needed to make your home security a priority.
We live in a society where a burglar can break into your home, break his leg, sue you and win.[/COLOR] Don’t think that because you are having family and friends over that a preventable accident is going to be acceptable. Make your home security a priority when you move in, and save yourself the trouble of worrying what could happen because you ignored your responsibility.
And this one: How Your Swimming Pool Could Get You Sued - Insurance

And this one: 14-year-old pool drowning victim dies - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Hmmmm. This program has a mind of its own.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Home Comfort and Security » Home Security Tips On this site I found:

[color="Red"]Having a pool is fun for the entire family, but there are necessary home security measures that cannot be ignored by anyone who has permission to swim. For instance, there should be a telephone located somewhere close to the pool in case of disaster. There should be a fence or some sort of barrier surrounding the pool, making it difficult for young children to get to the pool, fall in, and possibly drown. The fence around the pool area is required by most cities and you can be fined for not following regulation if they ever decide to pay you a visit. Your home security efforts will never be foolproof and accidents do happen, but at least you will know you did everything you could.

Owning a home is a sure fire way to know that you have reached adulthood, but you have to be willing to take the measures needed to make your home security a priority.
We live in a society where a burglar can break into your home, break his leg, sue you and win.[/COLOR] Don’t think that because you are having family and friends over that a preventable accident is going to be acceptable. Make your home security a priority when you move in, and save yourself the trouble of worrying what could happen because you ignored your responsibility.
And this one: How Your Swimming Pool Could Get You Sued - Insurance

And this one: 14-year-old pool drowning victim dies - [domain blocked due to spam]
I have heard the burglar breaks leg at least 100 times. I have never seen a direct story that it actually occured. As I remember it was also a big deal in the UK.

The insurance piece is simple a piece to sell insurance...umbrellas policies to be exact.

Yes an uninvited 14 yo drowned in a pool that was not properly secured. That could make for an interesting suit. But the Lady told kids not to go there. Which makes for an interesting defense. It is litigatable as it would be if the lady had invited the kid to swim.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
Actually Buzz I didn't really think about all that. It really is kind of sad that people just can't do something nice for someone without being afraid of being sued. We do keep our gate padlocked and we have a pool alarm that goes off if anything falls in the pool. I guess we just thought we were being neighborly.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM

98 posts, read 433,181 times
My son isn't allowed to play outside as the HOA are all old farts

All the kids I see outside here are hoodlums - the ones running around.

However there are kids at the parks and people having picnics till midnight because of the heat. Not all the kids are bad - but it just isn't how it used to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas