Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
I'd prefer independence to joining Arizona. City-States are the best form of government since they are small enough to actually be accountable to their people. Imagine the amenities we could offer the world if we were independent. Without the US Federal Govt, we would be an international tax haven on top of an entertainment hub.
Well...for one thing, say goodbye the US Military Base there. Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM

241 posts, read 492,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Well...for one thing, say goodbye the US Military Base there. Ouch.
Good riddance. Military bases are a sign of oppression. The only thing worse for Liberty than a standing army is a central bank. Sadly, we have both in bloated form.

Nevada is a donor state to the Federal Govt anyway.

Nevada taxpayers receive less federal funding per dollar of federal taxes paid compared to the average state. Per dollar of federal tax collected in 2005, Nevada citizens received approximately $0.65 in the way of federal spending. This ranks the state 49th highest nationally and represents a decrease from 1995, when Nevada received $0.73 per dollar of taxes in federal spending (ranked 48th nationally). Neighboring states and the amount of federal spending per dollar of federal taxes collected were as follows: California ($0.78), Oregon ($0.93), Idaho ($1.21), Utah ($1.07) and Arizona ($1.19).

Source:
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Nevada

Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Yes...but could the LV businesses that support it afford to lose the salaries they are given and the money they spend?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes...but could the LV businesses that support it afford to lose the salaries they are given and the money they spend?
No problem we could sign a treaty with the US and let them put a NATO base in here....

as to the rambling mutterings of Atlas..........mmmmno....it just isnt worth the effort....don't like it move.....Cuba is looking for recruits again.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
AHHHHH Remember Peter Sellars in "The Mouse that Roared" They did exactly that.....
Where do you think I stole the idea from?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Just utter the magic words...

Income Tax

And the whole silly scheme is gone...whamp...

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
We don't need to secede. And we don't need to break away from Nevada and join Arizona or petition for becoming the 51st state. (Arizona produces more political whack-jobs than even Texas. I wouldn't want to join God's Hospice. I think the 51st state option is cool. Not possible, but cool. We already have area 51, and the Las Vegas 51s baseball team.)

The problem as I see it, is that we give more to the state of Nevada than we receive in services. And we give more to the US Federal Government than we receive in services.

The state problem can be fixed at the legislative level. Quit electing Republicans -- who (despite their promises of small government) give all our money to the rural welfare ranchers upstate. Insist on candidates who believe in a strong Clark County. Independents who aren't beholden to either party would be the best way. All of this is doable.

Getting more of our money from the Federal Government? Difficult in the extreme. But more of our money goes to sales taxes, property taxes, business licenses, and the like, which are state problems, not Federal.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We don't need to secede. And we don't need to break away from Nevada and join Arizona or petition for becoming the 51st state. (Arizona produces more political whack-jobs than even Texas. I wouldn't want to join God's Hospice. I think the 51st state option is cool. Not possible, but cool. We already have area 51, and the Las Vegas 51s baseball team.)

The problem as I see it, is that we give more to the state of Nevada than we receive in services. And we give more to the US Federal Government than we receive in services.

The state problem can be fixed at the legislative level. Quit electing Republicans -- who (despite their promises of small government) give all our money to the rural welfare ranchers upstate. Insist on candidates who believe in a strong Clark County. Independents who aren't beholden to either party would be the best way. All of this is doable.

Getting more of our money from the Federal Government? Difficult in the extreme. But more of our money goes to sales taxes, property taxes, business licenses, and the like, which are state problems, not Federal.

I can't rep you again, so I'll praise you here. Same thing is true in Arizona. Yes, we give more money to the Feds than we get back, but not that much and we would have done better had we not had slaves to the military-industrial complex as our senators. And the state funnels too much money to agriculture (in a desert ... seriously!) and mining companies both of which have raped the land and are still doing it. (We had rivers with water in them until the 1940s. Then it was all sucked up by super-wells built by big-agra, who are STILL allowed to engage in this obscene practice.)

Maybe we can create the 51st state from some weirdly shaped Tom DeLay-style district that starts with Clark County, moves in a skinny corridor through Maricopa to suck up central Phoenix (Mesa and Gilbert hate it anyway), and then widens at the bottom to include southern Arizona. Can you think of a name for it?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,447 times
Quote:
Maybe we can create the 51st state from some weirdly shaped Tom DeLay-style district that starts with Clark County, moves in a skinny corridor through Maricopa to suck up central Phoenix (Mesa and Gilbert hate it anyway), and then widens at the bottom to include southern Arizona. Can you think of a name for it?
I don't know if anyone watches that show How the States Got Their Shapes on the History channel, but it's pretty interesting how NV got it's shape to begin with....they also go into how they got their names.

I don't know what I'd rename the state though.

EDIT: Maybe Nevari, half NV half AZ. We have Calnevari so why not?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Yes...the State of Confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas